Seether plans 300 gigs in one year (2012)?

• Thread starter Djent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
That schedule is pretty insane and all, but more importantly, is that a pair of testicles taped onto his mic in the picture from the link? :lol:

6qVbs.jpg

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
might as well cash in as much as you can before your body becomes un-tourable.

also how hard do you think its is PHYSICALLY to tour that much with roadies, guitar techs ect?
is riding on a nice bus, and having other guys tune your guitars that hard of work?

i imagine it to be very stressful on there personal lives, just not in the we dont have gas/food money and haven't showered in weeks way.

correct me if this band is smaller than that lol, i just know there on the radio or something

Watch any metal band tour docos and you'll find it's pretty hard on your body without the addition of lugging gear and the extremely simply horrible task of tuning one's guitar, which I wouldn't wish on anyone. /sarcasm

You have to sleep in a bus with a bunch of dudes, farting the shitty venue and takeaway food, pissing the beer and probably settling in ridiculous heat from a bus filled with active members. Sure it's a lot of fun, but 300 days out of the year moving to perform a full set in all conditions would surely not be "easy" on your body.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder what Seether's guarantee is? If its upwards of 5K then its probably worth it, if its down near 1K then fuck that life!

Reaction score
Watch any metal band tour docos and you'll find it's pretty hard on your body without the addition of lugging gear and the extremely simply horrible task of tuning one's guitar, which I wouldn't wish on anyone. /sarcasm

You have to sleep in a bus with a bunch of dudes, farting the shitty venue and takeaway food, pissing the beer and probably settling in ridiculous heat from a bus filled with active members. Sure it's a lot of fun, but 300 days out of the year moving to perform a full set in all conditions would surely not be "easy" on your body.

Yeah with that many gigs drinking beer would become a chore.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
Must be a hell of strain for the singer's voice.

Beat Poet

Reaction score
If they're not careful it could end up breaking the band, but if they're able to play enough places then they won't exhaust their fanbase. If they do manage to pull it off, that'll be fantastic though. What would they do instead, sit around?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't care if you're the fucking Rolling Stones, a tour schedule like that is ridiculous. Throw in time to actually travel to each gig and you're probably looking at maybe three or four weeks off for an entire year. That's a year without your family (maybe have your girlfriend or wife, maybe), a year of showering in truck stops, a year of sleeping in bus beds (think of a really small, uncomfortable cot), a year eating junk food, etc. I realize that Seether isn't some small, underground technical-jazz-power-djent-band, but I doubt that this is not going to be cheap to put together. The costs of equipment, vehicle, and personnel for something like this is easily six figures when said and done.

To the guys knocking the band, grow up fellas. Really. It's 2011, are we still knocking bands because they don't meet our personal expectations? :lol:

Reaction score
^ This pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say. Especially the last statement.

Dunloper

Reaction score
I think an impromptu meth addiction might help these guys out.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I dont have any Seether albums but Ive always loved every song Ive ever heard. They are a great band. I can't same the same for all bands in their wide genre including Nickelback but Seether is one of the good ones. :yesway:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I dont have any Seether albums but Ive always loved every song Ive ever heard. They are a great band. I can't same the same for all bands in their wide genre including Nickelback but Seether is one of the good ones. :yesway:

Karma and Effect is a brilliant album. Great melodies but some real heavy shit on there. The production is top notch too as always with them.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Didn't James Brown do like 360 a year?

But yeah, that's a lot.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care if you're the fucking Rolling Stones, a tour schedule like that is ridiculous. Throw in time to actually travel to each gig and you're probably looking at maybe three or four weeks off for an entire year. That's a year without your family (maybe have your girlfriend or wife, maybe), a year of showering in truck stops, a year of sleeping in bus beds (think of a really small, uncomfortable cot), a year eating junk food, etc. I realize that Seether isn't some small, underground technical-jazz-power-djent-band, but I doubt that this is not going to be cheap to put together. The costs of equipment, vehicle, and personnel for something like this is easily six figures when said and done.

To the guys knocking the band, grow up fellas. Really. It's 2011, are we still knocking bands because they don't meet our personal expectations? :lol:
To be fair, your supporting arguments arent very strong. You pretty much described every kid's lifestyle from the age 18 to marriage minus travel.

Also, what does 2011 have to do with this? Why wouldn't you judge a band off of personal expectations :lol:?

Oh yeah, forgot. These guys sell alot of albums so I am supposed the like them on that merit alone. I know thats probably not what you were getting at, but thats how it came across.

BTW 6 figures is conservative. This will cost about 10k a show. They will probably make a reasonable profit seeing as how they are pretty successful. They're not some underground band struggling to make this happen. Its silly to even imply this.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
That is absolutely crazy. After watching Cannibal Corpse's "Global Evisceration" dvd and seeing how wrecked and tired they were during that tour, man that was brutal, yet night after night they were slaying those fucking songs. It doesn't matter if it's Cannibal Corpse, Seether or Josie and fucking pussycats, I've got respect for anyone who can play the same songs with conviction night after night, even more respect for metal bands because they can't get luxury tour stuff like a band like Coldplay or Lady Gaga would.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be fair, your supporting arguments arent very strong. You pretty much described every kid's lifestyle from the age 18 to marriage minus travel.

How are my arguments not strong? Also, since when does a kid's lifestyle revolve around being away from family, working 300 days out of the year, etc.?

Also, removing traveling from the equation defeats the purpose. If they were playing 300 shows at a bar next to their homes it wouldn't be a big deal at all. It's the huge amount of travel, and the near limitless costs of such that make this a bigger deal.

Here's each argument explained a little better if it helps:

I don't care if you're the fucking Rolling Stones, a tour schedule like that is ridiculous.

Playing 300 shows is a lot of work. It takes a toll physically, especially for vocalists and drummers, whose instruments are so demanding that even playing a few shows in a row can lead to permanent physical stress and injury. Look at all the singers who blow out their voices, and can't even speak half the time when they're on tour, or all the drummers with serious joint issues.

Even if you're an artist who does a lot of touring, such as The Rolling Stones, you still face these issues. They might not have been the most relevant example, but it does stand.

Throw in time to actually travel to each gig and you're probably looking at maybe three or four weeks off for an entire year.

Lets say, on average, it takes four hours to travel from one venue to another, multiply that by 300 and you get 50 days. Add 50 and 300 and you have yourself 350 days of the year where you're either playing or traveling, or a combination of the two. Leaving just over two weeks to just rest. Even if off by half, that's just a month.

That's a year without your family (maybe have your girlfriend or wife, maybe), a year of showering in truck stops, a year of sleeping in bus beds (think of a really small, uncomfortable cot), a year eating junk food, etc.

Maybe you don't like your family, or have someone special in your life, but when I spend more than a week or so without my fiance I can get pretty bummed. Heck, I don't like not talking or seeing my parents for months on end all too much. They're very special people. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Have you showered in a truck stop? At best you feel like you won't get foot cancer or assaulted. At worst, you start contemplating farming the fungus on your unwashed self and selling it for profit. :lol: Basically, it isn't fun and would make even the worst Motel bathroom seem like heaven.

Once again, have you slept in a bus bed on a tour bus? If you're over 5'10", or enjoy stretching your legs you're not going to sleep all too well. Plus, must I bring up Cliff?

Some people may enjoy eating junk food, and from time to time I do as well, but I think I'd have a coronary if I ate it every day for a year. Plus, that stuff just stops tasting like food after awhile. Lets also not forget that too takes a toll on health, especially when there's no time for legitimate exercise.

I realize that Seether isn't some small, underground technical-jazz-power-djent-band, but I doubt that this is not going to be cheap to put together. The costs of equipment, vehicle, and personnel for something like this is easily six figures when said and done.

Feel free to prove me wrong on the first part. :rofl:

Having moved cross country several times, as well as touring a few states with my shitty high school bands back in the day, even small scale touring is expensive, not just relatively speaking as well.

Take an hour to research just how much it costs to rent a tour bus, some professional help, and the other support facilities needed to keep both of those from walking away. Now factor in a whole year.

Also, what does 2011 have to do with this? Why wouldnt you judge a band off of personal expectations :lol:?

The 2011 part comes from the fact that we're so far as a people in the way of thought that we just can't stop from being asses on the internet. It was a joke, which appears to have gone over your head. It's okay, I'm really not funny. No sarcasm there.

You can judge a band all you want and choose not to listen to their music. That's kinda how personal taste works. What I'm saying is I don't see the need to bash them on the internet. Especially when it's about personal opinion.

Oh yeah, forgot. These guys sell alot of albums so I am supposed the like them on that merit alone. I know thats not probably what you were getting at, but thats how it came across.

Like =/= Respect

You can not like them all you want, hell, you can downright hate them. Though, just because you feel the music they create has less merit than the music you enjoy does not mean that you have to instantly throw respect out of the window.

BTW 6 figures is conservative. This will cost about 10k a show. They will probably make a reasonable profit seeing as how they are pretty successful. They're not some underground band struggling to make this happen. Its silly to even imply this.

Obviously they'll be making money here. That's kinda the point of touring. Though, I don't see how making a profit takes at all away from the fact that this will be pretty grueling.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
How are my arguments not strong? Also, since when does a kid's lifestyle revolve around being away from family, working 300 days out of the year, etc.?

I dunno, everyone I know was away from family and working. Its not a kid's first instinct to stick around the nest in my experience. If you arent working most of the year, then I am jelly.

Also, removing traveling from the equation defeats the purpose. If they were playing 300 shows at a bar next to their homes it wouldn't be a big deal at all. It's the huge amount of travel, and the near limitless costs of such that make this a bigger deal.

OK well lets take that point and combine it with the immediately following point:

Playing 300 shows is a lot of work. It takes a toll physically, especially for vocalists and drummers, whose instruments are so demanding that even playing a few shows in a row can lead to permanent physical stress and injury. Look at all the singers who blow out their voices, and can't even speak half the time when they're on tour, or all the drummers with serious joint issues.

Thats a direct contradiction. I play guitar, drums, and do something you could kinda call singing every day. I dont foresee any injuries in my near future. If a band like deftones toured that much, then chino would have some serious issues;not every band pushes there limits as much as Maynard or similiar artists.

Lets say, on average, it takes four hours to travel from one venue to another, multiply that by 300 and you get 50 days. Add 50 and 300 and you have yourself 350 days of the year where you're either playing or traveling, or a combination of the two. Leaving just over two weeks to just rest. Even if off by half, that's just a month.
Heh thats bad math. You can still travel the days you play.

That's a year without your family (maybe have your girlfriend or wife, maybe), a year of showering in truck stops, a year of sleeping in bus beds (think of a really small, uncomfortable cot), a year eating junk food, etc.

Maybe you don't like your family, or have someone special in your life, but when I spend more than a week or so without my fiance I can get pretty bummed. Heck, I don't like not talking or seeing my parents for months on end all too much. They're very special people. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Thats a relevent point, but one has to ask themselves, "Do the risks outweigh the rewards?"

Seether did and they said fuck our families. We want money or whatever they think the positive will be. Instead of doing a sensible tour that would probably have the same net effect yet lend them time to see loved ones, they opted for this.
Have you showered in a truck stop? At best you feel like you won't get foot cancer or assaulted. At worst, you start contemplating farming the fungus on your unwashed self and selling it for profit. :lol: Basically, it isn't fun and would make even the worst Motel bathroom seem like heaven.

Once again, have you slept in a bus bed on a tour bus? If you're over 5'10", or enjoy stretching your legs you're not going to sleep all too well. Plus, must I bring up Cliff?
Thats all true and while not optimal its still really a first world problem.

I have done some long tours truck driving with my step dad so I know exactly what you are talking about. Its not that bad.
Some people may enjoy eating junk food, and from time to time I do as well, but I think I'd have a coronary if I ate it every day for a year. Plus, that stuff just stops tasting like food after awhile. Lets also not forget that too takes a toll on health, especially when there's no time for legitimate exercise.

There is always time and room for exercise. If a person already knows how to stay in shape then they're not going to all of sudden forget how to on tour. Protein powder is cheap and portable as so are vitamins.
I realize that Seether isn't some small, underground technical-jazz-power-djent-band, but I doubt that this is not going to be cheap to put together. The costs of equipment, vehicle, and personnel for something like this is easily six figures when said and done.

Feel free to prove me wrong on the first part. :rofl:
They're probably better off right now in their current incarnation. Atleast they have a singer that can actually sing versus being in denial about it with a chip on his shoulder like most metal bands.

Having moved cross country several times, as well as touring a few states with my shitty high school bands back in the day, even small scale touring is expensive, not just relatively speaking as well.

Take an hour to research just how much it costs to rent a tour bus, some professional help, and the other support facilities needed to keep both of those from walking away. Now factor in a whole year.
Absolutely, I was just saying it would cost alot more than you originally stated.

The 2011 part comes from the fact that we're so far as a people in the way of thought that we just can't stop from being asses on the internet. It was a joke, which appears to have gone over your head. It's okay, I'm really not funny. No sarcasm there.

You can judge a band all you want and choose not to listen to their music. That's kinda how personal taste works. What I'm saying is I don't see the need to bash them on the internet. Especially when it's about personal opinion.
My personal opinion about their music on the whole just so happens to be negative. Doesn't mean I should keep it to myself on discussion forum in a thread intended to illicit responses from a cross section of the rock community. If it was in an Appreciation thread, however, I wouldn't say anything negative. I would probably take the time to highlight something I find positive about them. The scope of this thread........
You can not like them all you want, hell, you can downright hate them. Though, just because you feel the music they create has less merit than the music you enjoy does not mean that you have to instantly throw respect out of the window.
Its not a personal attack, so I don't see how respect is directly involved here. It is not the focus, opinion is.
Like =/= Respect

Dislike =/= Disrespect

And holy shit. This is a silly debate. We have both lost here, Max. We have all lost something today.

')