Self-made custom birch guitar

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody ever tried to make a guitar out of birch? ..well i tried and did. A demonstration of this guitar can be found behind the youtube-link below:

The specs are listed below:

When compared to my guitars with mahogany or poplar bodies, this one has more attack with lots of mids & highs but less low-end. Actually it sounds quite different compared with any guitar i've played.

Specs:
Body: Finnish birch
Neck: Maple with maple fretboard, black bindings and sharkfins (factory-made)
Neck joint: Bolt-on with contoured heel
Scale: 25.5 inch
Pickup: EMG81 with single volume
Bridge: Gotoh ABR-1 string-through body
Finishing: Osmo color wood wax
Weight: 3.55 kg.

The shape is quite similar to a Jackson RR but slightly bigger.
The total costs of the construction were about 200 €.

The project started more than 10 years ago when i tried to build a neck-through-body guitar. Anyhow, that didn't work out quite well at the time, the wood wasn't dry enough and the neck wood was heavily bent after the installation. I sawed the neck away, and carved a neck pocket and installed a bolt-on neck, now the instrument plays like a dream.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sirppi

Reaction score
The instant I saw "birch" in the title I thought it's a finnish guitar, guessed right :D Sounds and looks very good, rock on \,,/

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
Points for experimenting! :yesway:

I've always juggled around the idea of a steinberger style guitar using birch, was going to make it as my entry for the home depot challenge but never had the time or resources.

')