Semi-hollow build (brazilian rosewood, palisander, redwood, flame maple)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did a little shopping this weekend for a project I've got upcoming. A little Brazilian Rosewood for a fretboard, headstock cap, and pickup bobbins. This will be going on a Palisander aka Madagascar Rosewood neck from one of the pices also pictured.

More info later, for now on to some pics

The Brazilian
IMG_0881.jpg

With a little naptha to show what it will be like when oiled
IMG_0883.jpg

and the Palisander for the neck (not sure which billet will get used, the larger piece in the bottom two pics is palisander the other is panama rosewood)
P2.jpg

P1.jpg

image-1-1.jpg

I'm also working on tracking down some 5A quilt, I'll get some pics of that up when I've bought it :D
image-3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Where the hell did you find brazilian rosewood??!?

I know a PRS woodbuyer who said they've been buying every piece of it they can find, so consider yourself fortunate.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tasty! Does this mean the build is going to run you $12K? :lol: ;)

At least!

They just don't cut down trees like that anymore!

Yeah this stuff doesn't just grow on trees! There haven't been pieces like this in at least ten years :eek:

Mmmmm some lovely colours right der

Well that's pure awesome!

So, uh...Specs?

6 strings... 5A quilt... carved top... rosewood... aquamarine... a blend of traditional and modern :D

More later

Where the hell did you find brazilian rosewood??!?

I know a PRS woodbuyer who said they've been buying every piece of it they can find, so consider yourself fortunate.

What the buyer meant was they're buying every piece they can find at wholesale prices... fretboards are still not difficult to find at retail prices if you're willing to pay for them.

These pieces came from http://www.vikwood.com/ Their website is pretty useless but they were helpful once I emailed them. The guy I talked to said they have about 500 boards on hand. Also before you look and get excited, they do not have any Brazilian neck blanks :lol:

Support cutting down rainforests for ultra sexyness!

Nope, CITES has insured that we get nothing new, but there are still pieces that were already cut I see no reason not to use

That looks very very rich. All of them, but especially the darkened rosewood.

Thanks! The Palisander will darken up a good bit once oiled as well, should look amazing :yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That top piece.... HOLY - FUCKING - SHIT. Please tell me more about it....

Figured Redwood, 20 something and 2 inches thick... might end up doing a matching six string turns out as well as I'm hoping. The redwood will be the main top you see, inlaid into the figured maple.

Wow. Listen, man, have you ever played on Madagascar Rosewood?

I have not yet, just going based on the word of a couple of different builders I've talked to that said it was about as close as you can get to Brazilian rosewood without spending a mint on a neck blank (if you can find one)

Very classy indeed!

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
F
I have not yet, just going based on the word of a couple of different builders I've talked to that said it was about as close as you can get to Brazilian rosewood without spending a mint on a neck blank (if you can find one)

I had it as a fretboard on a Tom Anderson. To this day, I haven't found a more desirable wood on a guitar. I've had several guitars with Brazillian rosewood, and while it's more attractive, the Madagascar is glossier and slicker. It's also very hard, so the tone isn't unlike ebony, but there's a marked resonance to it that ebony lacks. Basically, you couldn't be doing it any more correctly.. I think the only way you could improve on the build is if you made the neck and fretboard out of it, but I understand there's a novelty in having the Brazzy board.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had it as a fretboard on a Tom Anderson. To this day, I haven't found a more desirable wood on a guitar. I've had several guitars with Brazillian rosewood, and while it's more attractive, the Madagascar is glossier and slicker. It's also very hard, so the tone isn't unlike ebony, but there's a marked resonance to it that ebony lacks. Basically, you couldn't be doing it any more correctly.. I think the only way you could improve on the build is if you made the neck and fretboard out of it, but I understand there's a novelty in having the Brazzy board.

Yeah this should sound absolutely huge :D If I do a matching 7 maybe I'll go with palisander for the board ;)

')