Septor 828 or RGA8

• Thread starter AWAX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AWAX

Reaction score
or even possibly RG2228.

I'm having a slight 8 string GAS dilemma. Septor 828 for about $600, or RGA8 for about $750 (Maybe RG2228)? They would be about the same for shipping. No border hopping.

Septor: Agile Septor 828 MN Nat Ash at RondoMusic.com
RGA8: Ibanez.com | Electric Guitars | RGA8

The neck dimensions are close. RGA8 is almost 2 inches shorter in scale than the Septor, which isn't a big deal to me. I'm like 5'5". RGA8 little smaller radius, by 4mm. Otherwise they're pretty close.

The Septor looks alright, but only alright. The 8 in line headstock worries me a little too, and the (no-name essentially. No?) Cepheus passive pickups.

I have heard the shitstorm that has been the bridge problems on the RGA8. I was thinking as soon as I got it, or just soon, to take the strings off, take out the bridge screw, and get a tech to put a new, longer, more study one in. I also don't like that stupid mid-cut toggle on the RGA8. Not a deal breaker, but it seems stupid.

Another option is to get an RG2228. Higher in price range for sure, but I'm talking to a guy online whom I've sent emails to but wont respond. Dick. Shipping would be a fair amount too. (I mean, if I can actually find one on ebay, or if someone has a link to someone selling an RG2228 it would be appreciated.)

Suggestions guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Knyas

Reaction score
The Septor looks alright, but only alright. The 8 in line headstock worries me a little too, and the (no-name essentially. No?) Cepheus passive pickups

If you're willing to fork out for a RG2228, why not look at the slightly higher price Agile's instead of a base model? That solves pretty much every problem you've brought up. A lot of people prefer the Cepheus pickups to EMG's as well, so you might want to take that into account.

Guitarman700

Reaction score

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
my septor 828 is a beast. I have never liked non prestige ibanez. they always seem to have a lot of buzz and crummy pick ups especially the rga8. Also its always bass wood which is a cheap wood. agile gives you a good deal great hardware and pickups. mine plays great. the 2228 is a different story though.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I would choose an RGA8 over Agiles personally, and the bridge problem isn't an issue since you clearly understand it, and can properly adjust the bolts. You shouldn't need to get it modded. Just don't overtighten anything, the problems with the bridges have been partly user error.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all..Good Thread. I'm also looking into getting an 8. I had the 2228 and I liked the feel of it. The EMG's seemed just OK. I havent had the chance to play an Agile(Cepheus), or any other 8's and pickups. The Wave of Babies clip above showed the Cepheus pretty well. I have yet to see an output rating/voicing for the Cepheus. Any info on this any this? And how do the necks on the Septor/Intrepid/Interceptor compare to 2228?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
In order of what I would get

1. 2228 - Better quality however more expensive
2. Agile - More available specs, decent price
3. RGA8 - Decent enough, though would need a pickup swap and you get more for your money with an Agile.

AWAX

Reaction score
Well, no go on the RG2228. The two I was looking at sold, but the ads were still on Kijiji. Gah! Ao unless anyone wants to sell me their RG2228 :p Looks like I'm going for an Agile.

')