Seriously, is there any music that sounds like

• Thread starter henrebotha
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

henrebotha

Reaction score
bulb?

I seriously fucking dig his music so much but every band I've heard mentioned alongside him and his Periphery buddies (Nevermore and, I dunno, Mercenary and some other stuff I can't remember because it was so boring) comes nowhere close, especially in terms of the proggy/dissonant/interesting harmony vibe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nats

Reaction score
nevermore was compared to periphery?

Snorelax

Reaction score
SikTh, Fell Silent, TesseracT, and Textures have similar styles.

henrebotha

Reaction score
Cool schtuff. I am getting some SikTh from a friend this week (have been looking for them anyway but have only a vague idea what they sound like). TesseracT sound much the same and I just wish I could find their music somewhere.

hahaha kirkpetrucci I'm listening to Mean Aliens now, it's like bulb meets thrash :D hahaha. If I could offer some crit: I'm not a fan of the guitar tone, for two reasons. One, the pick noise is unbearably loud and makes a sound similar to a quick, trebley wah in the extremes of the stereo spread. Two, the deep rhythm tone needs less "gwah" and more "grrr", if you know what I mean. But then, what do I know. I barely listen to metal.

okay but you say it's in the same genre. What genre would that be? It's obviously more specific than "instrumental prog metal".

How similar is what Meshuggah does to what bulb does?

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I just checked out the KirkPetrucci stuff. Mean Aliens sounded good. I think the mix sucked though. Drums too loud and covered up the guitar.(that's coming from a drummer)LOL

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How similar is what Meshuggah does to what bulb does?

If you haven't heard Meshuggah then prepare to have your teeth kicked in:lol: All the bands listed in this thread, including Bulb/Periphery, owe a hell of a lot of their sound to Meshuggah, although they're also more melodic than the typical Meshuggah stuff. I know Bulb's stuff takes a few cues from Dream Theater and Deftones, so check those bands out if you haven't already.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
it´s funny though, because it sounds like meshuggah, but it is in no way similar to meshuggah :p

the similarities are djenty tones and polymetric riffs with the drums still following the 4/4 beat. that´s like the main thing, but the actual melodic content, the note choises, all of that, sounds nothing like meshuggah. they have a darker and more evil sound to their compositions, while most of these other bands are melodic sounding.

Demeyes

Reaction score
Where did you get the notion that Nevermore or Mercenary might sound like bulb? Just wondering because it's pretty far off the mark!

henrebotha

Reaction score
I can't remember, some or other forum online but it was probably a shitty one tbh.

I'm going to make a mission of finding some Meshuggah to listen to. I've heard New Millennium Cyanide Christ and thought it was decent, if not something I'd listen to on a frequent basis.

bulb, on the other hand... :D Füf is number 2 on my Top Tracks on last.fm.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I can't remember, some or other forum online but it was probably a shitty one tbh.

I'm going to make a mission of finding some Meshuggah to listen to. I've heard New Millennium Cyanide Christ and thought it was decent, if not something I'd listen to on a frequent basis.

bulb, on the other hand... :D Füf is number 2 on my Top Tracks on last.fm.

listen to Meshuggah - Stengah ;)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
bulb?

I seriously fucking dig his music so much but every band I've heard mentioned alongside him and his Periphery buddies (Nevermore and, I dunno, Mercenary and some other stuff I can't remember because it was so boring) comes nowhere close, especially in terms of the proggy/dissonant/interesting harmony vibe.

Meshuggah. MF Kitten mentioned this song:

YouTube - Meshuggah - Stengah (remastered)

And it does sound a lot like Bulb's stuff. Bulb makes more melodic stuff than Meshuggah usually, but listen for yourself.

henrebotha

Reaction score
Listened to the Meshuggah song... Too straightforward, not melodic enough, and damn it people, lern2harmony! :lol: Nah, I do not dig too much, needs moar of teh awkward harmonies and more of teh intricate 16th-note riddems.

')