Setup Help

• Thread starter prplhz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prplhz

Reaction score
I can't figure out why my RG7620 won't take .11s I have DR-Tite Fit .11s with a .55 Rotosound Bass B string. I can't get the damn thing to setup right. It just keep bringing the tremolo up and up and up and never goes into tune. As soon as I tune the low B string the other ones go a half step or more down. And this won't end. My springs in the back are all the way screwed into the body. Is it the low B? I have always set up my own guitars and I can't seem to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

etiam

Reaction score
Well, are you experienced with floating trems? They require quite a bit of back and forth until you get the hang of it. How many springs do you have?

Also, using a bass string isn't typically recommended.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't figure out why my RG7620 won't take .11s I have DR-Tite Fit .11s with a .55 Rotosound Bass B string. I can't get the damn thing to setup right. It just keep bringing the tremolo up and up and up and never goes into tune. As soon as I tune the low B string the other ones go a half step or more down. And this won't end. My springs in the back are all the way screwed into the body. Is it the low B? I have always set up my own guitars and I can't seem to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey man, I'm sending you a trem set-up guide as we speak. If you follow it, I GUARANTEE that's you're trem will be perfectly set-up and in tune.

If you need any other help please feel free to PM or e-mail me. :yesway: :)

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
In my experience, a .55 bass string is equal to a .55 guitar strings, both has ONE wound of nickel, and the same diameter on the core, just the ball end changes.

prplhz

Reaction score
All my guitars have been floating trems. I just recently got a string thru and I realized how easy it makes life. When I'm going up a guage I normally just compensate by screwing the springs further into the back...this was for C tuning on a 6 string. I haven't changed the string guage of this guitar until now but my normal methods aren't working. Do I need to loosen the screws in the back or what? Or get heavier springs?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All my guitars have been floating trems. I just recently got a string thru and I realized how easy it makes life. When I'm going up a guage I normally just compensate by screwing the springs further into the back...this was for C tuning on a 6 string. I haven't changed the string guage of this guitar until now but my normal methods aren't working. Do I need to loosen the screws in the back or what? Or get heavier springs?

What procedure are you using to set-up the trem? Are you keeping it's level proper?

prplhz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have to go to practice and I'm just blocking the bridge with pennies for now. I'll get some new strings this week and do a full setup (thanks for the guide max), instead of a half ass one. I'm pretty sure this will fix it.

My setup method has been to put strings on, tune them to the desired pitch and adjust my springs level in the back accordingly. I'm guessing this works when changing guages AND tunings. It always worked when I put my 6 string in C with a heavy guage anyways. I'M DOING IT WRONG! :lol:

To be continued...

Edit: Now that I think about it I did always have to keep the trem level when setting a guitar up for a new tuning/new gauge. I completely didn't do that.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
actually just yesterday i set up my loomis from drop G to drop F, i know what you mean when you say it keeps throwing the tuning off when you touch anything, but all i can say is to just keep tuning and ajusting the springs untill eventually it will become level and stay in tune, you probably arent doing anything wrong, it is jsut very time consuming.

avenger

Reaction score
I find tuning each string everytime I tune the next string helps alot.

Example.

tune low B
tune low E, tune low B
tune A, tune low E, tune low B

I find it helps stop everything from going out of whack and saves a ton of time. Also streching new strings out abit when you are first putting them on seems to help. I have heard people doing the tune, tune again method going low B, high e, low E, high B type pattern aswell but have never tried it myself.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find tuning each string everytime I tune the next string helps alot.

Example.

tune low B
tune low E, tune low B
tune A, tune low E, tune low B

I find it helps stop everything from going out of whack and saves a ton of time. Also streching new strings out abit when you are first putting them on seems to help. I have heard people doing the tune, tune again method going low B, high e, low E, high B type pattern aswell but have never tried it myself.

It saves even more time to simply temporarily block the bridge, tune, un-block, then adjust the springs.

Playing the balancing act with the tuning of a trem is both overly time consuming, and usually, somewhat inaccurate.

prplhz

Reaction score
I hate to bump this thread but I wanted to update and let everyone know that it was completely my fault. I had just forgotten how to setup a floating bridge. I wasn't blocking the trem during setup. :lol:

The guitar is setup with 10's and rockin now.

Thanks

')