Seven-string Capo?

• Thread starter Krypteia713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I use a capo at times, too. Mainly to send my drop-tuned guitar back up into standard-tuned areas, although it's generally not super necessary, what with my whacky tuning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This thread is one of the best I've read in months here. :lol: And Darren, I'm so stealing your amp.

Well, on one hand, capos are for whiny little bitches who play folk guitar and can't play bar chords. On the other hand, a capo should be in the gig bag of anyone who spends any amount of time in a recording studio, home or otherwise. There is a distinct timbral difference between an "open" note (with or without a capo) and one played with a bar, and layering tracks played open with tracks played with capos in different positions can sound absolutely lush.

So, you should have a capo not because you need one, but because of the different tonal possibilities. :agreed:

And fuck you Chris, I want an e-bow. :lol:

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Well, on one hand, capos are for whiny little bitches who play folk guitar and can't play bar chords.
Ouch. I let the whole thread go up until that line, but that hit a nerve, and 'twas the straw that broke this camel's back...

While I rarely use them on an electric, I have two capos that I alternate between frequently on my acoustics. I use a Shubb C-1, and a Kyser Quick Change. While I like the quality of the Shubb better, the Kyser gets used more, as it's just easier to get on & off quicker, and can be easily parked on the headstock when not in use.

I started using a capo several years ago when I discovered the incredible fingerstyle of Lindsey Buckingham, and began learning stuff like "Landslide" and "Big Love" (live acoustic version). I love using them. The intro to Hotel California is one of the most beautiful uses of a capo (thanks Roger), and just wouldn't be the same without one.

Make fun of it if you want, but you slap a capo on the 3rd fret of a sweet sounding acoustic, and play "Landslide" for the lady of your choice, and then see what SHE thinks of a capo. Chicks may dig guys that play guitar, but they REALLY dig guys that play guitars with capos. :lol: :fawk:

Lindsey Buckingham->:nutkick: <-Drew

[action=Sentient]knows bar chords AND uses capos and is NOT a whiney little bitch. :fawk: [/action]

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sentient said:
Lindsey Buckingham-> <-Drew

So much so. LB rips. :metal:

[action=Chris]is with Sentient on this one[/action]

[action=Chris]is also a big Fleetwood fan.[/action]

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sentient said:
Ouch. I let the whole thread go up until that line, but that hit a nerve, and 'twas the straw that broke this camel's back...

:lol:

While I'm not saying I don't deserve everything that followed that sentence, I'd just like to point out that

1.) I said that tongue-in-cheek, and
2.) I also own and use a Kaiser Quick-Change - I think a capo shouldn't be used as an excuse NOT to learn bar chords (see any folk guitarist playing at your neighborhood coffee bar), but as a tool in their own right... Well, let's just say Porcupine Tree's "Trains" sounds a hell of a lot better with a capo on the 5th than with me barring the 5th and playing the chords with the rest of my fingers. I CAN do it, but the question remains, why.

So, don't worry, I'm just being my usual wise-ass self, but deep down inside I do agree with you. :wub:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
So much so. LB rips. :metal:

[action=Chris]is with Sentient on this one[/action]

[action=Chris]is also a big Fleetwood fan.[/action]
:agreed: Lindsey Buckingham can write some great songs.

My mother has a capo for her Yamaha acoustic. I've messed around with one before playing on her acoustic but never on a seven string.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Chris said:
Only if you think that picks, amps, pedals, effects and straps are for lamos as well. Anything that expands/augments your ability on your instrument is never a bad thing.

Psh. All that gear IS for lamos. I pick with my face, amplify through my throat, make affects with my colon, and hold my guitar to my body with my uber abdominals!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
Psh. All that gear IS for lamos. I pick with my face, amplify through my throat, make affects with my colon, and hold my guitar to my body with my uber abdominals!

I used to pick with my teeth, but i leave the colon effects/pyrotechnix to my drummer. The guy is a human flame pot.

calumfmetal

ss.org Regular
Reaction score
here's a capo that worked pretty well on my 7-string. I tuned my ESP LTD SC-607B to Drop A then stuck my capo on the 1st fret, and then BAM! I was in 7-string Drop A#. Makes recording a lot easier if you ask me! :metal:

Dunlop_Trigger_Capo_Acoustic_Curved_Nickel_83CN_orig_1775.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20131212-00022.jpg
    IMG-20131212-00022.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 9

calumfmetal

ss.org Regular
Reaction score
Dunlop_Trigger_Capo_Acoustic_Curved_Nickel_83CN_orig_1775.jpg

Here's a capo that worked pretty well on my 7-string. I tuned my ESP LTD SC-607B to Drop A then stuck my capo on the 1st fret, and then I was in Drop A#. It makes recording a lot easier somehow!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I don't think these were around in 2006:
G7th | The Capo Company
Though they don't make a 7 string model, the 12 string model works on my RG2228 and 7 string classicals. Also, if you don't lose it, it will be the last capo you ever buy....unless you are one of those people who uses lots of capos.:coffee:

')