Seven string help

• Thread starter whitechapel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whitechapel

Reaction score
i really dont know how to fix this my 7th string is dropped to a for deathcore but its really loose feeling it makes a wierd sound when i play it acoustically its almost like the vibrations are making the string hit the fretboard is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Fret buzz. You're 7th string is resonating against the frets. Meaning your string is too loose. I think you'll need to go with a thicker string gauge to compensate for the lack of string tension when drop/down tuning.

pitbulltodd

Reaction score
depending on how low you tune you could need a string gauge from anywhere between a 64 or 74. i tune to drop g and use a 70 gauge low string.

Shi7Disc0

Lifeisjusta....disco
Reaction score
You could also get a setup done on it to further reduce fret buzz. I had my frets sanded down and rounded out so that theyre all even. If you still arent happy with the string change, you could always do that. Feels like butter under the fingers.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
he probably doesn't need to waste money getting his frets "fixed" when they are, in all likelihood, just fine and not the problem.

Reaction score
just need a thicker string for the A dude. i currently use a .68 (i know, it seems stupidly thick but it really feels great). and for the E-E, i would use a .10-.46. seems to work pretty well for me!

broj15

Reaction score
i use a .010-.054 d'addario light top heavy bottom set and a d'addario .068 for the low A on a 26.5" scale. Tension is perfect and fret buzz is minimal once i get the strings stretched out. I doubt you will need to get the frets "fixed" unless the guitar was horribly set up in the first place.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Whats the relief on the neck?
Whats the action set at?
What scale is the guitar?
What gauge string are you using?
What are you actually tuning to?

')