Seven String Strats and Teles...yep another update

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Just some answers to the questions asked here.

These guitars will be very traditional. We're not trying to reinvent the wheel. We just want a seveneth string. They only inovations will be in making sure the necks are totally stable. There may be some non-traditional radius options and fret materials but all in all they will look a lot like the guitars we all know and love.

As for lefties I have no idea it never came up. I'll have to ask. :D

Pickguards I was going to ask for the dimensions from USACG then get someone to cut some. I know I'll need the specs from them to get anyone to cut some pickguards for us.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm. It not only helps keeps pushing me along it proves to USACG that there is a market out there and it is a project worth persuing.

Thanks. :wub:

Splees

splees
Reaction score
YES. Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I can't wait for these bad boys to come out.:shred:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to take a second to say thank you to Eric for all of his hard work on this.

Thanks man :wub:

Oh and HOLY CRAP! I hadn't realized USACG did finishing as well... that's awesome as these would truly be a matter of ordering, assembling wiring, and bam instant awesomeness :drool:

Ok they don't do nut cutting / installation so that's one tricky thing that would need done with these which is a bummer. fortunately I have a local shop that could do that for me, and if I provide the nut to work with it's cheaper than buying the file set. I may just end up with a seven string tele yet :yesway:

One thing does confuse me though, they explicitly say on their site that they cut pickguards, so why do you need to source them? :scratch:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing does confuse me though, they explicitly say on their site that they cut pickguards, so why do you need to source them? :scratch:

USACG is a small company, I think it's like eight employees. They do pickguards but onoy like once a month and in fairly small batches. They apparently refer a lot of their pickguard buisness out to other companies just to speed customers' orders and lessen their work load slightly. Rob wasn't too sure they could squeeze in the extra load or that people would want to wait.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
USACG is a small company, I think it's like eight employees. They do pickguards but onoy like once a month and in fairly small batches. They apparently refer a lot of their pickguard buisness out to other companies just to speed customers' orders and lessen their work load slightly. Rob wasn't too sure they could squeeze in the extra load or that people would want to wait.

Ok I guess that makes sense... though I think I'd probably have them do it just to be 100% sure it would fit correctly :shrug:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe they will decide to do pickguards. I can't say for certain. I kind of hope they do. But they've been so cool to us so far I hate to get too pushy.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe they should do the initial pickguards, and then have the design duplicated from there?

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IIRC Shannon has a buddy that makes killer single coils for 7's. Shoot :shannon: a pm :D

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I would love a 7-string strat. How traditional is this going to be? In other words, I am all for a traditional strat, but would still like a S-S-H config, like the Big Apple Strat from Fender.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The pickup routing is up to the end user. So if you want a SSS or a SSH it's all good.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
yes, Rio Grandes are the only non-custom option, now that Anderson doesn't make their 7-string pickups anymore, and they sound great. Duncan Custom Shop will make 7-string strat single-coils and 7-string Tele bridge and neck pickups.

Honestly, if they're going to use any existing pickup for a route template, I'd vote for the Blaze single for the simple fact that given the number of UV's on the market any maker who wanted to get into the seven string singlecoil market who made a pickup that WASN'T compatable with the Universe would be crazy.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, if they're going to use any existing pickup for a route template, I'd vote for the Blaze single for the simple fact that given the number of UV's on the market any maker who wanted to get into the seven string singlecoil market who made a pickup that WASN'T compatable with the Universe would be crazy.

The downside wth using the Blazes as the template is this, who's actually going to use on their guitar? I have a feeling most people are going to go the RioGrande/BKP/Duncan Custom Shop route.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
The pickup routing is up to the end user. So if you want a SSS or a SSH it's all good.

That's cool. Hard to say what I'd do though, because while the neck-middle tone is probably my favorite strat tone, the middle-bridge (with bridge being a single-coil) is really killer too.

Regardless, this is a cool project, and it's good to see USACG doing this, since Warmoth is absolutely stubborn about changing even the damn scale length on theirs.

Why those retards don't realize 25" is not an ideal scale for 7-string, I'll never know.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
The downside wth using the Blazes as the template is this, who's actually going to use on their guitar? I have a feeling most people are going to go the RioGrande/BKP/Duncan Custom Shop route.

The lack of a flanged route (blaze single) as standard for the single coils would be a pain in the ass to most people I think. You can always drop a blaze single into a flanged route but not the other way around. Just my 2 cents.

')