Seven String Strats and Teles...yep another update

Swever

speed kills
Reaction score
Depends who you ask. :lol:

Um??

Anyway some builders like KXK and Soloway and Carvin all reinforce the necks with graphite to make it more stable.

Here's a pic of a Soloway neck showing the graphite robs installed.

neck-2-700.jpg

Thanx. Now I see. So it's just an additional strengthening option, not a substitution to a normal truss rod. But why would't a neck without it be stable enough. It seems to me Ibanez and most other brands' necks do not have this rods and stay stright for decades. Moreover strat necks are known to be thicker than wisards, for instance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emguitars

Reaction score
OK, Start building mine:

Seafoam Green, please, white pickguard. Done by Christmas? :lol:

Seriously, that is beautiful!:bowdown:

Sure thing Bill, just say the word! And thanks for the kind words. I'd be making guitars even if it was just for my own satisfaction, when someone else likes my work that's the icing on the cake!
Eric.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanx. Now I see. So it's just an additional strengthening option, not a substitution to a normal truss rod. But why would't a neck without it be stable enough. It seems to me Ibanez and most other brands' necks do not have this rods and stay stright for decades. Moreover strat necks are known to be thicker than wisards, for instance.

Again some luthiers think that the graphite is necessary and some don't. A lot also depends on the quality of the wood and how it is made as well.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again some luthiers think that the graphite is necessary and some don't. A lot also depends on the quality of the wood and how it is made as well.

Finish contributes to this as well. For example a raw or oiled neck will absorb more moisture and react more to its environment. One piece necks are also typically more prone to warping than multi piece necks. At the end of the day the graphite rods are a strengthening measure that decreases the chance that the neck will warp over time. It's an odds game. There are one piece neck 50s guitars floating around that are fine. There are also some that look like pretzels.

Personally I'd rather have them and make it more likely the guitar won't go wonky ten years from now. In fact the graphite reinforcement rods KxK uses are one of the reason I was willing to pull the trigger on my single cut, since the whole guitar is carved out of a single chunk of mahogany.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score

if those weren't EMGs (and that wasn't an ESP...) that guitar would be maddd sexy. I was JUST thinking the other day how it's strange how certain body shapes/images kinda get tied to a certain sound when it doesn't have to be that way. I wonder sometimes why i'd never seen a tele shape body with totally different features. Now all i have to see is a les-paul shaped alder body guitar with single coils. That'd be... well kinda dumb. but cool to see!

emguitars

Reaction score
Thanks, glad you like it. I built everything on that guitar myself, the body, neck, bridge, pickups. That was actually the second strat7 I built, if I can find a good shot of the first one I'll post it.
Eric.

Well, I found the only pic I have of my original 7 string. Trans purple finish on alder with a maple cap, maple neck with rosewood board, hand wound pups and custom bridge.Sorry for the shitty picture quality, it's all I've got.
Eric.
first7.jpg

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
Well, I found the only pic I have of my original 7 string. Trans purple finish on alder with a maple cap, maple neck with rosewood board, hand wound pups and custom bridge.Sorry for the shitty picture quality, it's all I've got.
Eric.
first7.jpg

wow, no inlays, purple and it's a REAL 7 string strat! that's exactly what i'm looking for.

beautiful guitar :yesway:

tie my rope

Resident Asshat
Reaction score
Eric.
first7.jpg

i actualy REALY like that :yesway:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
if those weren't EMGs (and that wasn't an ESP...) that guitar would be maddd sexy. I was JUST thinking the other day how it's strange how certain body shapes/images kinda get tied to a certain sound when it doesn't have to be that way. I wonder sometimes why i'd never seen a tele shape body with totally different features. Now all i have to see is a les-paul shaped alder body guitar with single coils. That'd be... well kinda dumb. but cool to see!

Actually, I have seen one with S/S/S- can't remember where though...

')