• Fifths tuning

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 5.8%

• Total voters

Prometheus

Oh no, no you don't!
Reaction score
Down 1/2 step, seems to me to be the heaviest tuning, and I have no idea why :) I've tuned lower, but nothing sounds as brutal to me as Bb standard. Although, I've also recently taken a page out TDW's tuning, and dropped the Eb down to C#, and then the Bb down 2 full steps to F#. Interesting tuning, you come up with riffs and sounds like you never would've otherwise. Not heavier as such, but different.

Damn, I love my 7!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently started tuning down a whole step. I really like the sound of it. :yesway:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Bob!!

:lol:

I think our little boober has altered his drop F tuning of doom. I think its GDADGBE now. He took it up a step.

Not to sound too picky but shouldn't being tuned to all fourths, BEADGCF be on there as well?

Yep, this is absolutely true.

I use two tunings anymore - the aforementioned, and I also use drop A (the rest standard).

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
My RG will always be in B standard
My Strat is in Drop A right now, I want to try out some others (Open C, TDW, New Std./DR...) when I get some heavier strings.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Down 1/2 step, seems to me to be the heaviest tuning, and I have no idea why :) I've tuned lower, but nothing sounds as brutal to me as Bb standard. Although, I've also recently taken a page out TDW's tuning, and dropped the Eb down to C#, and then the Bb down 2 full steps to F#. Interesting tuning, you come up with riffs and sounds like you never would've otherwise. Not heavier as such, but different.

Damn, I love my 7!

^^I've messed about with that same tuning too recently after receiving the latest Deftones album as a gift and hearing Stephen Carpenter using it on a few tracks. If I had an eight-strng I'd use this tuning with a low B, for sure.

I'd prefer a thirds tuning to standard, just haven't decided on which particular permutation I'd use. For the last few months it's been Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Db for me, but I just tuned back to drop-A, so that's what I voted for.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bb standard
Drop Ab
Drop C# w/ a low G# on the bottom
C standard with a high F on top
DADGAD with a low A on the bottom

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
My main tuning is Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. I love Eb standard, and for some reason, I just like having a low Ab more than a Bb.

My 30" scale Bich is kind of an extension of that tuning with Eb Ab Eb Ab Db Gb. It just adds a low Eb (and removes the top strings, of course). Between the two guitars, I have a virtual 8-string... kind of.

I've got a few guitars in C standard that I use in my band. The main one is a 7 with an extra high F. Yes, I do use it... sometimes.

Squier Strat VII in B E A D G B E. Strung up with a set of DR 9's, the tension is just perfect.

Acoustic in Eb standard.

I won't go into tuning variations, as I have probably 4 or 5 alternate tunings based on my "Drop Ab" tuning alone.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ADGCFAD for life. Perfect voicing for me. On 6-strings I like standard D, C or B.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Both of my guitars are tuned to standard, but I sometimes mess with the tunings on my hardtail (AEADGBE, ADADGBE, GDADGBE, GDGCFAD, ADGCFAD etc.). So, even though all my sevens are in standard, my six is in one step down.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I just tuned up to B Standard from Bb, and I have to say I like the tone and tension a lot more.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Bb standard
Drop Ab
Drop C# w/ a low G# on the bottom
C standard with a high F on top
DADGAD with a low A on the bottom

I've messed with A + DADGAD and C# standard + F#. Have you tried G + DADGAD?

I used to have this open C thing for six string: CGCGCE. I've tried this with a low G as well on my acoustic. Pretty radical for fingerpicking stuff. :agreed:

Fourths tunings are interesting. It makes it easier to play a lot of altered scales and ethnic scales. I find it more challenging to play standard diatonic/harmonic scales, though.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've messed with A + DADGAD and C# standard + F#. Have you tried G + DADGAD?

I used to have this open C thing for six string: CGCGCE. I've tried this with a low G as well on my acoustic. Pretty radical for fingerpicking stuff. :agreed:

Fourths tunings are interesting. It makes it easier to play a lot of altered scales and ethnic scales. I find it more challenging to play standard diatonic/harmonic scales, though.

I haven't tried the G+DADGAD thing, although it sounds fun!

Open C's an awesome tuning. That's the main one I use on my fretless guitar.:yesway:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
GCGCGCE, so... fifths I guess.

That's more like open C, fifths would be Bb F C G D A E or something, like a mandocello with seven strings. That would completely destroy, but finding strings to work for that would be a pain.

I have a six string baritone tuned to F C G D F A at 30". It's a cool tuning at first, but the fifths + the long scale get cumbersome after awhile. It'd be great for someone with huge hands, though. It kinda works for slide, but only to an extent.

If I had a sevenstring with that length, I'd probably tune it E A D G B E A or maybe a whole step up from that. I used to keep the 30" six string tuned like the high six of that. :)

exafro

Reaction score
I have my seven in B standard, but would like to get a baritone 7 and try out F# or E standard

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
The tuning really works well if you use strict 3 note-per-string scale fingerings. It gets rid of the mandatory shift between the G+B strings of 3nps played in standard tuning.:shred:

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Down 1/2 step, down 1 step, down 1 and 1/2 steps, and "jazz" in all of those. Never really tried any of the others. Not really that adventurous tuning-wise anymore. Maybe when I pick up another 7-string.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The tuning really works well if you use strict 3 note-per-string scale fingerings. It gets rid of the mandatory shift between the G+B strings of 3nps played in standard tuning.:shred:

I'm all about the shapes being convenient.

Yet the high B string seems so inconvenient. I only use it in 1/2 of the arpeggio shapes.

It does make for easier unison bends and better piano-like chord voicings, though. I can't give that up. That's why I've messed with the standard + high G. It gives you really good piano-like voicings for triads and chords. But it sucks for arpeggios and sweeps and whatnot.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
One thing I've really wanted to try, but don't have a spare 7 to devote to it, is 'Crafty fifths'; the tuning Trey Gunn uses on the melody side of his Warr guitars.

CGDAEGA

Basically the Fripp-ian NS tuning, with an extra high string. You could come with some fascinating chord voicings, although I imagine playing leads on it would take some getting used to.
I tried a similar idea on a six, going CGDAEF#, a while ago, and it was really interesting (do a search, and you'll probably find some detailed threads on it and other fifths-based tunings elsewhere on the site), although the whole-step between the top two strings made the high F# difficult to incorporate into leads. Regular NST was slightly better from that point of view, and I ended up going back and forth between both tunings when I had a guitar set up for it (52, 42, 30, 18, 11, 10 gauge strings on an acoustic).

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been babbling about an All-Major-3rds tuning, and I think there's a couple of folks here that already use it. That's not an option in the survey.

Ray

')