Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Other Downtuned mayhem

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • Fifths tuning

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 5.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
^ Yup. A E A D G B E was the standard tuning for 7-strings long before B E A D G B E.

tie my rope

Resident Asshat
Reaction score
i keep the 7321 in standard and im getting the loomis set-up for ADADGBE... as soon as it arrives :rant:

Don

Reaction score
Concerning Metal, nearly all of the 6-String players are using down-tunings. So I think to stand out from the crowd as a 7-string player you rather have to tune down either (though I do not hehe!)

Sam Random-Name

Bringing the Grind
Reaction score
Last night, i tried to tune to 8 string for 7 string (F#, B, E, A, D, F#, B) But the strings weren't having any of it...plus, it was maybe too low to do anything interesting with, since the high end was that low. So, this morning, I put it into G, C, G, C, G, C, E, which is working great for me!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
^ :lol: I thought I was the only one that remembered and references such a random and pointless little thing.

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what tunings Bulb and Paul Ortiz (Chimp Spanner) use?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
^I think Bulb uses drop Ab on his 7 (Same as me! Woot!), F on his 8, and drop C on his 6.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
ive fallen into something of a cool tuning, basically drop d + A
so
A D A D G B e
it allows for some cool riffing and funky intervals with chording on the bottom end

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ive fallen into something of a cool tuning, basically drop d + A
so
A D A D G B e
it allows for some cool riffing and funky intervals with chording on the bottom end

That's one of my favourite tunings, although I usually take it down an additional half-step. It's fun being able to play add9 power-chords using the regular power-chord fingering on the bottom three strings.:)

I've also been getting into plain ol' standard, down a whole step recently...

G9Music

Reaction score
Now I get the feeling I'm going to be blasted for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I didn't feel like starting a new one... and the material here is pretty relevant to my question.

I've been wavering between AEADGBE and ADGCFAD. Drop A, and A Standard. While I really like how drop A operates (easy 7-stringed major/minor chords, quick power chords) I've been questioning how solos would work. I'm not a master of soloing or the fretboard but I get the feeling that with standard tuning, having the two highest strings being the same note (obv. different octave) as the two lowest strings would have its advantage.

I was looking at some of Nevermore's (plays standard half step down) tabs and these assumptions were proved to a certain extent. The following solos used a lot of open notes on the top two strings: Narcosynthesis, The River Dragon Has Come. Albeit, a lot of Loomis's great solos don't use the 0 too often, but wondering if that little asset of standard tuning is a biggy, and if so, can be compensated for on jazz tuning.

Reaction score
Half step down! Sometimes I drop the Bb down to Ab, but my band only has 1 song written in that tuning (always the last song in our set)

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Fourths tuning on everything here, except 6 string acoustic which is also occasionally standard intervals, dropped D, DADGAD or DADF#AD intervals (it's actually all tuned down to start with), and sometimes the 8 is in Charlie Hunter tuning but with the treble strings in fourths, ie. EADADGCF.

seawave

Reaction score
Tell me please! How to get this tuning G#C#F#BEG#C#? I've recently got Sc-207 and had no idea what to start from...

harvested

Reaction score
Tell me please! How to get this tuning G#C#F#BEG#C#? I've recently got Sc-207 and had no idea what to start from...
it's a standard tuning... just drop all the strings down 3 steps..

and to be on-topic
I use almost all the time the standard tuning but; sometimes is an ordinary E, or standard Eb or D....ofcourse with the added 7th string :D

')