Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 5.8%

• Total voters

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
All major thirds tuning isn't half bad. I didn't figure anyone used it for their primary tuning, though.

The biggest problem with doing only major thirds are the chord shapes. They don't seem very natural.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
my next seven will be in A, but I think ive tuned my seven to jazz ONCE to play Nile. standard tuning kicks ass

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The biggest problem with doing only major thirds are the chord shapes. They don't seem very natural.
It seems to be bigger with "jazzers", folks that like to sight read and those that want more piano-like chord voicings.

Ray

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Currently just standard B,E,A,D,G,B,E, but I've only got trem guitars right now. I'm going to get a fixed bridge 7 to mess around with tunings a bit more.

Moloch

Reaction score
Favorite tunings are F and Bb for my 7.
For a 6 drop c ftw.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All major thirds tuning isn't half bad. I didn't figure anyone used it for their primary tuning, though.

The other problem I had with thirds, although it's a good idea in principle, is that it makes chords sound pretty nasty to my ears. Think how 'out' the major third between the 2nd and 3rd strings on a regular guitar is, and now imagine that problem with all 7 strings.

Anyone who's intrigued by the idea, do a search for Ralph Platt, as he was the first guy to use that tuning as standard as far as I know.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
The other problem I had with thirds, although it's a good idea in principle, is that it makes chords sound pretty nasty to my ears. Think how 'out' the major third between the 2nd and 3rd strings on a regular guitar is, and now imagine that problem with all 7 strings.
I think we've talked about this issue a while back, but I still don't buy that idea that the tuning is the issue here DR.

Certainly the major 3rd between the G & B strings is a major pain in the ass intonation-wise on most guitars. But I think the cause is the difficulty of intonating the G-string. It's the thickest plain string and the most pitch/tension sensitive and therefore the most vulnerable to going sharp when fretted close to the nut (first 3 or 4 frets.)

So I think the problem is the G string itself regardless of the tuning of the strings around it. :spock:

Reaction score
Mostly I just stick to standard tuning with the 7-string string. B E A D G B E. sometimes I tune down a whole step to play along with Divine Heresy, or Fear Factory, or Nile. B sounds low enough to me, usually I tune down just to jam to albums. Like the new Deftone's albums for fun. I haven't every thought of tuning the guitar to just 3rds or 5ths, hmm... I'll try that out sometime. Sometimes trying to write songs, tuned down to A D G C F A D, sounds too low to me.

I mean don't get me wrong tuning down is fun, but for my ears, A, and anything lower like G or G# is really just too low for me to work with when composing. I'm like the 7-string tuned to standard when composing.:cheers:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Right now, my Strat is tuned F# Db Ab Eb G B D
So that would be: 5-5-5-M3-M3-m3

Why?

:shrug: sounded cool and works well with the strings I have...
And it sounds cool. :squint:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think we've talked about this issue a while back, but I still don't buy that idea that the tuning is the issue here DR.

Certainly the major 3rd between the G & B strings is a major pain in the ass intonation-wise on most guitars. But I think the cause is the difficulty of intonating the G-string. It's the thickest plain string and the most pitch/tension sensitive and therefore the most vulnerable to going sharp when fretted close to the nut (first 3 or 4 frets.)

So I think the problem is the G string itself regardless of the tuning of the strings around it. :spock:

It could just be a personal gripe, as thirds on the guitar often grate on me a bit, no matter how precisely the thing is tuned and set up. That's the main reason I wanted a fretless guitar, to bring those intervals closer to their true temprement like violinists are able to. I really need to get the Buzz Feiten system or something similar installed on my guitars.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
It could just be a personal gripe, as thirds on the guitar often grate on me a bit, no matter how precisely the thing is tuned and set up. That's the main reason I wanted a fretless guitar, to bring those intervals closer to their true temprement like violinists are able to. I really need to get the Buzz Feiten system or something similar installed on my guitars.

:agreed: !00% DR. It's almost maddening, sometimes.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i tune both my 7's to standard tuning (and eventually detune my fixed bridge hellraiser to drop)

my only 6 is tuned to D-standard.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I really need to get the Buzz Feiten system or something similar installed on my guitars.
I recently had this system installed on a classical and a 6-string strat-like electric and I must say I'm quite blown away at how much better simple triad chords sound.

I'd highly recommend this mod to anyone.:agreed:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a guitar built with Werckmeister tuning, but I was too unsure of the cost to interestingness ratio. It'd be really cool to check out, though...I'll check around on it someday.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
^ very cool!
4ths with a 5th on the bottom :shred:
I think that would be especially good on an 8-string with a high A (or Bb)

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Standard B tuning most of the time. Though I write in drop A sometimes also.

I also really like tuning a whole step down

GTR0B

Reverse Headstock Whore
Reaction score
How about G# D# G# C# F# A# D# ?

Standard BEADGBE, tuned down half a step with the Low B dropped to G# :metal:

')