Seven string violin

• Thread starter ghoti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
This might be off-topic, but I'm about to pick up a 7-string violin. I played violin and viola for more than 10 years back in the day, but my shoulder didn't like it...

Anyway, it'll be coming in the next few days and I'll give you my impressions of it. Hopefully I can adjust my technique or hold it differently so it doesn't get too painful -- it seems a shame to waste all the background I had with violin and I might actually be able to get some usable tones out of that thing.

They say the tuning should be E F C G D A E, but I'm not quite sure why they have it that way at the low end. I'm going to try to make it F C G D A E B (regular violin tuning + two fifths down + one up) and might need a source to get B strings. I'm thinking a really thin guitar string might work, as it's smaller in diameter than a violin E string.

Anyone else wants one, I think a company runs them every so often on ebay. I have no idea how the quality is, but it's a really extended range so might be useful in a band with extended-range madness already there :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Is it V shaped? I think I remember them being mentioned around here at one point... (Probably by Desecrated.)

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
UNIQUE 7 STRING ELECTRIC VIOLIN -GORGEOUS -NEW 6B7 - (eBay item 180194505170 end time Dec-19-07 19:58:44 PST)

Hardwood, spruce top, maple back, ebony board.

I don't know why they put the pointy part below where the cutouts are on an acoustic version. Maybe to make it feel more like an acoustic, but then why the extra strings...

Anyway, I know how to get into extreme high range on a normal violin so it might or might not be a problem (shoulder twist...ugh)

There's another one from the same company (I think) going through on ebay, so I guess it's something they do every so often.

I'm going to try to use a string for a high B, because that makes a lot more sense to me than a low E would (one half-step below the next string...why??) and like I said, we shall see. I might have to special-order a .06 guitar string from one of the companies mentioned here and cut it to violin size in order to make this work.

The company looks like a regular company (not scammer), so hopefully it'll be a halfway decent (or better) instrument.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
I had one of those in the shop last month for a setup.
Don`t expect too much in the "High Quality Dept", as it`s made by the same company in China that produces all those oddball double neck & triple neck guitars and basses you see all over ebay.

The strings are junk, as are the noisey electronics. I had to bypass the stock electronics, and ran it through a K&K pre-amp. I also had to install thin rubber under the bridge feet, and under the peizo, as it sounded thin. The rubber opened up the sound quite a bit.
Pretty much the same deal you have to do with the Palatino EUB (made by the same company).

Finger board is some type of rosewood that is dyed ebony.

Overall, it took some work to get it up to snuff, but I was able to get a decent sound out of it. Very difficult for me to play as the F/B is cramped, and hard to bow with 7 strings on it, but my customer was able to get around on it faily well.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
I had one of those in the shop last month for a setup.
Don`t expect too much in the "High Quality Dept", as it`s made by the same company in China that produces all those oddball double neck & triple neck guitars and basses you see all over ebay.

The strings are junk, as are the noisey electronics. I had to bypass the stock electronics, and ran it through a K&K pre-amp. I also had to install thin rubber under the bridge feet, and under the peizo, as it sounded thin. The rubber opened up the sound quite a bit.
Pretty much the same deal you have to do with the Palatino EUB (made by the same company).

Finger board is some type of rosewood that is dyed ebony.

Overall, it took some work to get it up to snuff, but I was able to get a decent sound out of it. Very difficult for me to play as the F/B is cramped, and hard to bow with 7 strings on it, but my customer was able to get around on it faily well.

Thanks for the info. I just saw it and remembered how good I used to be on violin and viola, so I ordered it. I was briefly in a band last year singing and sometimes playing another electric violin (borrowed), and recently almost got into another band as a bass player where they were also interested in my skill on a violin and backup singer...so when I saw it I decided to get it.

Hopefully it makes a decent sound and isn't too bad to play compared to a regular 4-5 string model. E-string on a violin is generally .0105 so I'm thinking that if I order a guitar string at .006 it might work for high B. Then I'd only have the problem of finding the low F string, because the others all are sold by places like juststrings. I'm thinking a cello string might suffice, but need to do some research on that.

Bowing on individual strings is more a matter of tightness of the hair on the bow plus attack on the string. The only thing I'm worried about playing-wise is how cramped my fingers will find the board, and how my shoulder will feel after playing (quite a few violinists mess themselves up playing, as the instrument is one of the most non-ergonomic ones out there).

I'll let you know how it goes and my impressions. If it's incredibly bad, you'll at least know who never to shop with...but if I can get an ok violin sound, there's a lot of interesting stuff that might be done on it.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
the great thing about a 7 violin is that there aren't any fret intonation problems.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Update for you. It came in the mail today, and I spent some time trying to set it up. The pegs are really tight, one string broke, and the bridge fell. I dealt with those problems as best I could, but I need a high B string (narrower gauge, wherever I can find it) and a professional set-up on it to see if it's usable. I put the bridge back up, and tuned the lower strings as best I could, but the high ones I think I will leave until I can get someone to set it up.

Also, it didn't come with a shoulder rest, and I really really need one to even attempt to play a violin more than 5 minutes without hurting myself. I played a little acoustically and through the amp...and it actually sounded OK. The fingerboard is a little crowded but I think one could get used to it if the thing is professionally set up (with the bridge in the right place, and being able to use the pegs without messing up your fingers) -- or one might want to have smaller fingers than I possess...

I guess I'll do some research on music stores nearby to see if someone can set this up for a reasonable price; and also look for strings...

On the whole, I suppose it's an OK "project" but I'm a bit disappointed in the company. If I can get these issues taken care of after the holidays, I might actually have something usable that's fairly unique; and even if I can't use it than someone else might...

emguitars

Reaction score
Here's a 5 string fretted violin I built based on the design of Mark Wood's Viper. I put the tuners at the back end to help centralize the weight, it made a big difference.Came up with my own version of the chest support system, it holds itself up. No shoulder rest, no chin rest! Of course, I'm probably violating some patent laws, but only if I try to sell it, Right? Enjoy,
Eric.
DSCF1730.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

DSCF1733.jpg

')