Seven String virgin - Need recs on guitars!

• Thread starter Nesty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nesty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It's my first post in here to take it easy! I'm on the hunt for a seven string guitar. Note I have never even played one before so it does seem a bit daunting. I've lurked around here a few times, seems like a great forum and you guys know you're stuff, so start posting some recommendations!

Main influences are Periphery, Veil of Maya, August Burns red etc etc. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years now.

Budget - £700 - £800

Preferably a fixed bridge, I'm not a fan of floating bridges these days.

24 frets, wide scale neck is my favourite as well. I've heard great things about Mayones guitars. Possibly a good place to start?

It'll be played it through a Bugera 6262 and a harley benton g212v (with an assortment of pedals which can all be seen listed on my profile) I'm saving up for an Axe FX but that may take a while.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner like me? Are seven strings vastly different from 6 strings in terms of playability? Would it be like playing a completely different instrument?

I'll appreciate any ideas that come forward.

Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The guitar is only as playable as the player is apt... :yesway:

But then again, personal preference plays a huge role as well. I would say that a 7 string is no harder to play than a 6 string, but I can't say you'll feel the same way. Adding one more string isn't that big a deal, though. The harderst part is learning to skip this string when you want to hit your low E.

Blazerok

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You may want to look into schecter guitars, they make cool sevens, at 26.5 inch scale, with hardtail. what about your preferences in pickups and neck shape-finish?

Nesty

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You may want to look into schecter guitars, they make cool sevens, at 26.5 inch scale, with hardtail. what about your preferences in pickups and neck shape-finish?

Sorry I probably should have explained this. I'm a big fan of Bare Knuckle pickups. I currently have them in my ibanez rga 121. Aftermaths look ideal for seven strings.

The standard Standard 25,4 neck scale. Nice smooth finish. I'm not too picky providing it plays like a charm and isn't TOO thick.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I clicked on the thread thinking that you bought one of these:
USED%20BC%20RICH%20USA%201999%20Virgin%20Special%207-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

Hey, why not?!

Nesty

Reaction score
Good god that BC Rich is awful.

Any particular Schecter models I should be looking at?

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
The C-7 Custom is great Schecter, 7 strings, and comes with passives. That is great since EMG 707 pickups are larger than an ordinary seven string pickup, so it'll take a man to rout it for passives...

But the C-7 is already with passives, so you don't have to trouble yourself with routing:yesway:

Nesty

Reaction score
The C-7 Custom is great Schecter, 7 strings, and comes with passives. That is great since EMG 707 pickups are larger than an ordinary seven string pickup, so it'll take a man to rout it for passives...

But the C-7 is already with passives, so you don't have to trouble yourself with routing:yesway:

Wow the C-7 custom looks beautiful. I'll definitely look into this!

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Wow the C-7 custom looks beautiful. I'll definitely look into this!

Plus, and keep in mind that I say this as one of the resident SD whores here, the pickups are great as well, you may find that you do not want to change 'em. you do however have the option to do, if so desired.

And yeah, they're great:)

Nesty

Reaction score
Plus, and keep in mind that I say this as one of the resident SD whores here, the pickups are great as well, you may find that you do not want to change 'em. you do however have the option to do, if so desired.

And yeah, they're great:)

How does the neck feel on it? I've been told it's quick thick and not accustomed to some peoples tastes?

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
It is a bit heftier than on for example an Ibanez, and will of course not suit everyone. But many, including me, prefer a bit more girth to a guitar's neck..

The best advice is to try and test one, or a similar one, because we all have our preferances.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
ESP LTD SC607B.. fixed bridge, 27" scale, very dependable guitar with clarity and nice full sound. Only problem is they come stock with EMG's.. would prolly want pickup rings if you switched to passives..?.. Unless BKP Aftermath is close in size to EMG.?

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
ESP LTD SC607B.. fixed bridge, 27" scale, very dependable guitar with clarity and nice full sound. Only problem is they come stock with EMG's.. would prolly want pickup rings if you switched to passives..?.. Unless BKP Aftermath is close in size to EMG.?

They are not...

Nesty

Reaction score

Thanks for the rec but I don't think this one would suit me. The pickup change would probably be a bit of a nightmare as well!

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
say what I always say....Ibanez rg7321. I don't think you can get the RGD where you are. Think it's usa only.

Nesty

Reaction score
say what I always say....Ibanez rg7321. I don't think you can get the RGD where you are. Think it's usa only.

I heard the 7321 is made in Indonesia and doesn't live up to the standards of ones made in Japan.

')