Sevenstring album of the year

• Thread starter omentremor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Melodic doom metal - very emotional, somewhat slow at times, with an overall melancholy feel to it, just performed beautifully by the guys in the band. Perfect execution and KILLER production.

http://www.daylightdies.com/news.php

Player in the top right corner has two good songs, my personal favorite being A Dream Resigned. The video for another really, really good song is linked to on the left hand side, as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh wow. That sounds right up my alley. Seeing as I love bands like My Dying Bride, Draconian, Type O Negative, Celtic Frost, Candlemass, Cathedral, etc... that should be great. going to get that album now too. Thanks :)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Think of the music of MDB and Katatonia buttraped with growling vocals. Really good stuff! :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really dig the new MDB too. Not as much as "Songs of Darkness..." but it's cool :yesway:

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Line of Deathless Kings definitely seems more... something to me. More experimental? More weird? No clue, it just kicks ass.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didnt think Diecast or Through the eyes of the dead used 7's?

I know Jon from Diecast. He plays an S7420FM, which has a Duncan Custom in the bridge. He has another one with EMG 707s in it. The thing is, he tunes up 1/2 step, to: C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C-F. The other guitar in the band has an Ibanez LACS RGA321 type deal. Same as the RGA321 but much higher quality in every aspect, especially the flame top.

So, they tune to C standard, and only one of them uses 7-strings but he does.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Through the Eyes of the Dead use 7s? All the tabs I've seen have been written in drop C 6 string.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know right? That album is ridiculously brutal and the tone is great. This is definitley the sound my Dual Rec-playing bandmate is trying to achieve more or less, eventho were not a DM band.

PS: I'd say Scar Symmetry too, but I havent given most of the other albums people are mentioning much of a spin yet.

My tone is pretty much there dude. The Keeley mod on the MT-2 helped things out A LOT! Though I did find out that I'll never totally get their tone because there's a faint Powerball in the mix as well. They also used a Marshall cab with old 65's in it which are very hard to find and very expensive!

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
Adagio - Dominate

Am I the only one who finds that Unearth album to be complete shit? Every song is just another cheap metalcore riff and some B5 chugged breakdowns - throw in some sweep picking, standard shit hardcore vox, and really shitty timing, and you've got that album summed up.

I'm with you there. I seriously don't see what's so amazing (or good even) about Unearth. Everyone here seems to love them.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't get into them either ( I tried) metalcore just gives me a fucking headache. :wallbash:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Unearth's new album. It sounds to me like Oncoming Storm II with shitty guitar tracks.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm with you there. I seriously don't see what's so amazing (or good even) about Unearth. Everyone here seems to love them.

Agreed. When I checked out their stuff they sounded competent, but pretty generic. I may check them out again at some point...

omentremor

this godles endeavor
Reaction score
Something Im confused by in the hatred of metalcore is the beating of all bands that use breakdown regardless of if they work or not. Quite frankly Im not the biggest metalcore fan although I do like a few of the bands. But there is an undenyable huge scene of generic death metal that doesnt take nearly the beating the generic metalcore does. I personally prefer death to metalcore by a long run but this is something that's been pissing me off for a while. Fuck we've gone off subject.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It happens all the time with whatever becomes the next big "trend" in metal. And I'm guilty of it as well. There's only so much "metalcore" I can stand before I get bored. That's why I've starting listening to the new death metal stuff(Through the Eyes of the Dead, Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, etc.) because I need something different. But in time, it'll become too popular and everyone will get bored with it as well. Watch and see.

omentremor

this godles endeavor
Reaction score
I just mean the generic sounds like every American poineer of death like Deicide. Or the sounds like every other Norse band. I mean Im a huge fan of Deicide, Suffocation, Disincarnate heaps of death bands. Its just all those generic belch vocals into fast riff into grindriff bands piss me off. Same goes for the scandinavian bands. Opeth, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy. The list goes on of the awesome bands. But theres the big steaming puddle of shit uninspired copyist bands at the bottom. It's the same for every genre. Metalcore just hasnt taken 10 years to develop. This was almost like my convincing everyone Im not bagging death post, I state that I am more or a death fan than metalcore but I still think people are too hard on it just cause its more popular.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just mean the generic sounds like every American poineer of death like Deicide. Or the sounds like every other Norse band. I mean Im a huge fan of Deicide, Suffocation, Disincarnate heaps of death bands. Its just all those generic belch vocals into fast riff into grindriff bands piss me off. Same goes for the scandinavian bands. Opeth, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy. The list goes on of the awesome bands. But theres the big steaming puddle of shit uninspired copyist bands at the bottom. It's the same for every genre. Metalcore just hasnt taken 10 years to develop. This was almost like my convincing everyone Im not bagging death post, I state that I am more or a death fan than metalcore but I still think people are too hard on it just cause its more popular.

I understand. The problem is the copycat bands, you're right. :agreed:

')