Sevenstring.org pickups of choice...

• Thread starter Devon8822
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purist

Contributor
Reaction score
Home it is for me too lol. I used to really dig actives but realized that i preferred passives....Now its just BKPs for me...although i do still have a couple of guitars that are EMG85 equipped and they do great in certain situations. Anything is better then stocks IMO.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I think stock pickups are better than they used to be, and big-name aftermarket pickups are nowhere near as good as they used to be!

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
A lot of budget guitars are coming with EMG's these days. It seems hard to find a cheap guitar with good pickups in it otherwise.

Unfortunately what EMG does best is marketing. So many huge artists use EMG's. But from what I've seen, most guitarists start out with EMG's (hey, all their favorite artists use them, so they must be good), and then eventually start to develop an ear for tone and switch.

I'm not knocking people who use actives - some just prefer the tone, nothing wrong with that. They're great for certain applications - like wireless systems. Not much else though. :) j/k

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I hate the "I'm better than EMGs" attitude that circulates on some forums.

it's not so much present here, but it certainly is on the ESP Forum.

people act like EMGs are what they used when they were n00bs and now they are too good for EMGs. no one is too good for EMGs, they just think that now they've moved on to BKPs or Lundgrens that they have the right to trash EMGs, it's bullshit.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
It's a reality for a lot of people. They start out using EMG's, and then develop different tastes. I definitely trash active pickups, but I don't think I'm "too good" for them. That doesn't even make sense to me. It's all personal preference.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I just don't get people who act like EMGs are primitive in terms of taste and actives are for people who have superior, more mature taste.

it's utter nonsense.

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
I dont like emgs ''because everyone uses them''.For less money you can get a better pickup.I understand the hole active thing but S.D. and EMG pickups are overrated.

Spondus

Reaction score
I just don't get people who act like EMGs are primitive in terms of taste and actives are for people who have superior, more mature taste.

it's utter nonsense.

I agree totally with this, the whole actives suck and passives rule mentality is getting tiresome on here really. Guaranteed anybody asks for pickup recommendations and they'll get instantly swamped by a list of bareknuckles. I've had a guitar with BKPs, didn't like them and now use 707s and the stock agile passives in my intrepid (which are mighty good).

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
well, I understand they're not for everyone, but for 6 strings, EMGs have never let me down once.

7 strings however, EMGs can be very hit and miss.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I know loads of people say they sound generic and I'm not a huge EMG fan by any means, they have pros and cons like all pickups do that I've tried. (I've got two sets of BKPs being installed right now, so that may well change lol)
But I play a few guitars with EMGs in and I still hear "me" in there. :yesway:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
For me, it's Bare Knuckles as I can afford them and DiMarzio for pretty much everything else that gets new pickups. I've also got a Kent Armstrong pickup I'm looking forward to testing and hoping to wire up soon pending some routing issues.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Dimarzios and Seymour Duncans. Can't afford Bareknuckles....yet. :idea: :pray:

Oddly enough, all my trem equipped guitars have Dimarzios and my only fixed bridge guitar has Duncans. :scratch: Hopefully this may change. And I'm waiting for the right guitar to give my EMGs a revival they deserve.

To elaborate:

The only reason I dont't use EMGs is because I didn't like the sound of the 81/85 combo on my Basswood RG. So I swapped them with what I like best: dual Dimarzio Breeds. I'm just waiting for the right guitar to put them on. They have their place.

I'll use any pickup to get the sound I need and want.

')