SevenString.org Seymour Duncan Exclusive

• Thread starter Scott Olson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
^^^^ Seconded. I've got a Jazz-7 waiting for a pair of covered pickups, and I'd love to not have to shell out BKP prices for them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sell2792

Reaction score
This is good news, but it'd be better if EMG could stop making stupid sized pickups. SD hit the nail on the head with phase 1 Blackouts, and hopefully they'll expand the line more at some point.

ben_hurt

Reaction score
I would love more 8 string pickup options out in the market so I am really excited about this. While I love metal and djent, please release some different-voiced pickups!

Scott Olson

Reaction score
Kris, you got it!

As far as colors, not discussed yet but having cover options for 7/8 string is the first step towards even more options.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Soapbar sized Distortion 8's will likely end up in the RG8 I will be ordering.

peldikuneptun

the septic lord
Reaction score
I hope one of these pups to be will end up in the Chappers' ML-7 project, given mr Merrow's affiliation with SD :)

Jessy

Banned
Reaction score
there's an extremely small market for neodymium pickups
How would you know this? Nobody ever made an affordable one.

I recall our engineering trying some neodymium before and I believe it's really harsh. And while this is my personal opinion, I think the neodymium pickups out there are really designed to reduce that harshness which is basically the main effect of such a strong magnet, so what you get, is really kind of zero sum.
It's not an opinion; it's a belief, and and incorrect one. I only bought and support the "Medium Z" Q-tuners, which didn't do what you say, especially in parallel.

You can't market these pickups to stupid people, because stupid people are just going to plug their guitars into amps. A neodymium pickup without too much wire doesn't sound good to me, either, plugged directly in. Maybe the market of guitarists who are not stupid is too small to turn a profit. Why do you even bother to have an engineering team, if you're not going to try to make something new?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
As far as colors, not discussed yet but having cover options for 7/8 string is the first step towards even more options.

Something I would like to point out regarding covers is about the size. I noticed before in other threads that other pickup brands offer covered pickups and that these covered ones are actually bigger than their non-covered alternatives. I know for one that I don't want to have to route my guitar just to be able to fit a new set of pickups, no matter how awesome they sound.

You can't market these pickups to stupid people, because stupid people are just going to plug their guitars into amps. A neodymium pickup without too much wire doesn't sound good to me, either, plugged directly in. Maybe the market of guitarists who are not stupid is too small to turn a profit. Why do you even bother to have an engineering team, if you're not going to try to make something new?

How did you think this one through...? :spock: Im fairly sure I would prefer the sound of an amplifier over a magical potato.

celticelk

Reaction score
How would you know this? Nobody ever made an affordable one.

That doesn't mean that no one's ever built prototypes and tested them with focus groups. Or have you actually interviewed all the major pickup shops about this?

Well, thank goodness you're above all that stupidity! :nuts:

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Seymour is still building a pickup with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top that uses a meteorite. Last I talked with him he was saying he wanted to get some 10,000 year old petrified wood from the bottom of the Great Lakes.

There is so much win in that statement, I cannot imagine the infinite possibilities of awesomeness. :eek:

And I believe Leonardo already brought this up... but in regards to the active sized passives for 7's... what kind of aesthetics can we expect? In my head I'm picturing something that sort of looks like Hetfield's EMG's... but honestly I'd be so happy with anything other than dull matte black boxes. As of late, I have become so much of an SD Distortion fan that it's not even funny and it's about time my 7 jumped on the bandwagon.

Scott Olson

Reaction score
Should have some pictures in a week or two at most to show you some of the options. There will be more news in February.

As for the exclusive, SS is the first to hear about any of this news, this is to be released at the moment.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Should have some pictures in a week or two at most to show you some of the options. There will be more news in February.

As for the exclusive, SS is the first to hear about any of this news, this is to be released at the moment.

Scott, we appreciate it! This is very exciting stuff. :yesway:

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Having a 3rd Carvin DC800 on the way reading this thread makes me VERY HAPPY! I was hoping to have some options to experiment with a few different sets at a time. I think I will be throwing a pair of Distortion 8s in the new one when its done.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
This is so much a relief. I've been scouring everywhere trying for options that fit an emg707 route in a couple guitars. I would love to be able to put some passive SD's in their place.

')