Seymour Duncan Blackouts EMTY in my ESP Eclipse

• Thread starter spawnsc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnsc

Reaction score
I put some Seymour duncan EMTY blackouts in my ESP about 2 weeks ago and they SCREAM!!!!!! so much more clarity then the EMG 60/81

super easy install with the solderless connections, had these in within 30 minutes.

I highly recommend these its like taking a blanket off your amp.

photo2hp.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Sweet, someone finally got a pair of them :yesway:

Can you do some clips, I'd imagine it sounds beastly with that engl :D

spawnsc

Reaction score
i would love to but I don't have a recording setup yet i'm working on that but my friend that talked me into getting a setup has a set he plays through on his blackstar ht 5 and they sound great.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
I have the bridge model.

Not a bad pick-up at all. But didn't quite do it for me. Something in the upper mids that doesn't jive for me. Tried it in both an LTD FX-360 and a Jackson Kelly-Star. Definitely better for alot of the more technical, shreddy stuff....I'm more of a thick grinding, doom guy, and like the original Blackout's better for what I do.

I'm actually about to go ahead and sell it.

manana

Reaction score
What do you mean by solderless connection?

spawnsc

Reaction score
What do you mean by solderless connection?

its a wire that is pre-soldered in your guitar and has a 3 hole plug that fits on the 3 pins of the pickup. :hbang:

so if you have EMG pickups you unplug the wire from the back of the pickup and plug in the Seymour pick up because they have the same pins. :yesway:

Much easier and faster for switching out active pickups. :agreed:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the bridge model.

Not a bad pick-up at all. But didn't quite do it for me. Something in the upper mids that doesn't jive for me. Tried it in both an LTD FX-360 and a Jackson Kelly-Star. Definitely better for alot of the more technical, shreddy stuff....I'm more of a thick grinding, doom guy, and like the original Blackout's better for what I do.

I'm actually about to go ahead and sell it.

So they're tighter/thinner than the normal Blackouts? Is the neck pickup majorly different too, or just the bridge model? I don't care for the way my regular BOs sound tuned down, a bit muddy, IMO. I was thinking about these, but don't want to buy more damn pickups. :lol:

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
So they're tighter/thinner than the normal Blackouts? Is the neck pickup majorly different too, or just the bridge model? I don't care for the way my regular BOs sound tuned down, a bit muddy, IMO. I was thinking about these, but don't want to buy more damn pickups. :lol:

Never tried the EMTy neck, so can't really comment.

As for differences in the bridge, I'd say the EMTY is a bit tighter, more like an EMG 81, but the mids are different. To me, there seemed to be a bit of a spike in the upper mids somewhere between 800hz and 1khz (I think...). Better for "notier" playing, but for doomy chugs, and big thick power chords w/ stacked 5th's I prefer the bigger low end of the orginial BO's. Plus they have a more subdued midrange. Not scooped like an EMG, but not with any pronounced boost.

If your looking for a tigher BO, these might be the perfect fit for you. Just bear in mind the mid's are miod different as well.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
what does the EMTY stand for? and geez how many different blackouts do SD make? if i were to trade out my EMGs i wouldnt know which ones to buy!

and can we have one or two more photos of that ESP? i love those finishes but my store never got any in or else i probably would have snagged one.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for differences in the bridge, I'd say the EMTY is a bit tighter, more like an EMG 81, but the mids are different. To me, there seemed to be a bit of a spike in the upper mids somewhere between 800hz and 1khz (I think...). Better for "notier" playing, but for doomy chugs, and big thick power chords w/ stacked 5th's I prefer the bigger low end of the orginial BO's. Plus they have a more subdued midrange. Not scooped like an EMG, but not with any pronounced boost.

If your looking for a tigher BO, these might be the perfect fit for you. Just bear in mind the mid's are miod different as well.
Very interesting, thanks for the review. I've been very much on the fence about getting the EMTY's for my RG. I think I may be better off with the regular Blackouts.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, I have to really think about this before swapping pickups again. :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
EMGs really aren't scooped. The 81 in particular has a TON of upper-midrange 'snarl' and crunch to it. Blackouts do have a more balance response though, with punchier lows and increased headroom. I've never tried the EMTY (EM-TY = MT = Mick Thomson from Slipknot), but I bet they're cool as well. I'm really not an active fan anymore though, as many of you know.

')