Seymour Duncan Custom appreciation thread

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The Custom is overall my favorite SD pickup. Better for rhythm than the JB and almost does JB things on leads. I'd be very interested in a Custom 8.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
So as i have never played an sh-5, how can the sound be summed up now? From what i have red, it hast crisp/aggressive high end, scooped mids, but what about the low end? Some say it is thick, others that it is less than what they expected.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So as i have never played an sh-5, how can the sound be summed up now? From what i have red, it hast crisp/aggressive high end, scooped mids, but what about the low end? Some say it is thick, others that it is less than what they expected.
It'a definitely tight but it's present. Like it doesn't feel thin but it also doesn't feel muddy. I wish I can describe it without sounding like shitty marketing PR. Also the mid scoop isn't that bad. Mostly because there's a spike in the upper mids that makes the pickup cutting

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s not super high output but hits the amp just right and works well with an overdrive. It’s tight but still thick without being dark. The lower mids are kinda scooped while the high mids give it that great crunch characteristic and the highs are kinda rolled off and not really trebly like Lundgren pickups are. It’s a great all rounder but still has the ceramic sizzle that I enjoy.

Honestly, if it had a trendy name like the Nazgûl or black winter, it would prob be more popular, but I can’t recommend it enough for death metal and similar styles

Reaction score
Honestly I can't even explain the pickup well because any attempts to sounds dumb. It's "enough". It's gainy enough, it's thick enough, it's clear enough, it's punchy enough. It's my favorite pickup because its not wild in any particular frequency or spec. It's just enough and that's how it stands out.

I have a covered version and a normal version and I'll definitely say there's a difference. If you're a fan of the Custom and you have them in multiple guitars I definitely suggest a covered set

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm hoping it'll be a situation like the EMG 57/66TW where it'll be a market available option in the future. I'm super curious about the Cusotm 14.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It'a definitely tight but it's present. Like it doesn't feel thin but it also doesn't feel muddy. I wish I can describe it without sounding like shitty marketing PR. Also the mid scoop isn't that bad. Mostly because there's a spike in the upper mids that makes the pickup cutting
I guess I'd say it has almost weirdly articulate low end. The amount of bass is fine, it's not weak on one hand or overpowering on the other, but low notes are extremely clear.

At the same time, the upper mid focus actually, to my ears, made it a great lead guitar pickup - it does a bit of the harmonic "haze" thing on sustained notes that I love so much about the Blaze.

Easily one of my favorite Duncan bridge pickups I've tried.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
It's a good all-rounder, it has bite, presence in a mix, more of a rock tone I'd say, prefer it over a JB which has always sounded a bit smeary to me.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Does anybody has experience with the DiMarzio Breed bridge and the Custom Custom?

I had a CC loooooooooots of years ago so I cannot think of how similar these two are.

I remember it being a bit bland/spongy on the low end, nice rounded but present top end and sweet mids but that's it.

I have a Breed installed in an HSS guitar and I would like a bucker with less output and a bit more rounded top end, thicker mids is not a problem.

Maybe I could try with an A2 magnet on the breed but I don't have one on hand, only ceramics or A5.

Anybody can chime in?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Does anybody has experience with the DiMarzio Breed bridge and the Custom Custom?

I had a CC loooooooooots of years ago so I cannot think of how similar these two are.

I remember it being a bit bland/spongy on the low end, nice rounded but present top end and sweet mids but that's it.

I have a Breed installed in an HSS guitar and I would like a bucker with less output and a bit more rounded top end, thicker mids is not a problem.

Maybe I could try with an A2 magnet on the breed but I don't have one on hand, only ceramics or A5.

Anybody can chime in?
My experience with the CC was different. The low end can be pretty tight and the mids are surprisingly present but the attack is very soft.

To me it sounds like you take the custom and reverse the mid and treble attack and boom, custom custom

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
a jazz or 59 matches pretty well. Maybe even the sentient, but ive never tried that combo.
I have a Custom/Sentient set in my CS Soloist. Great combo. I even use the neck pickup more than my usual 1% of the time. More like 2% of the time!

')