Seymour Duncan Distortion 8s

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Just saw this on Ola Englund's facebook page:

396535_420501651341969_1187820482_n.jpg

New custom Seymour Duncan Distortion pickups for his Solar 8. I believe they are a Seymour Duncan custom job, but I feel like this might be something we will be seeing soon. Glad to see more passive 8 string pickups that aren't BKP. Only problem with them is....why the hell did they chose active housing on them??? It looks weird but badass at the same time :scratch:

Other than the active housing, I am very excited to see this. Can't wait for a video demoing them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Norsemen

A Viking
Reaction score
I hope so. I saw them on facebook too and thought they'd be here already.
They had to be active size to fit Ola's 8 but maybe if they go into production they'll be both? Phase I and II? Either way I hope it happens.
Those ones look cool though I'll say.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Only problem with them is....why the hell did they chose active housing on them???

Obviously to accommodate aftermarket upgrades for guitars deriving from companies that sell the majority of 8s with active housings.Unless I'm forgetting something,only Ibanez has taken a step forward passive housings,and still it's not well spread.

I know it's weird coming from the only brand that offers an active pickup for 7s and 8s in both active and passive sizes.Maybe we'll see both sizes and this was just a prototype,or the guitar was originally meant to carry actives before they got the pickup and this picture leaked.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
mini-bump....

Sounds pretty damn good to me. Compared it to his blackout 8 video and these completely annihilate them

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
Would there be "Phasing" issues or some sort of EQing issues if you were to combine one of these Distortion 8's, with a Blackout 8?

Thinking of Distortion 8 Neck with a Blackout 8 Bridge. I know all of that Passive + Active pickup complication but, what are the chances, this works?

Lilarcor

Reaction score
There are a few ways to make this possible:
1. Get a pre-amp like an EMG boost circuit and connect both pups to it. This makes your whole circuit "active" and you can use pot values for active circuits (25 kOhm). EMG recommends that for using both active and passive pups in the same guitar. Maybe the Blackout pre-amp might work, as well, or even better.
2. If you don't get a pre-amp you must use the right pot values, 500 kOhm with the passive pup and 25 kOhm with the active, and make sure the circuits are completely seperated. This also means you cannot run both pups in parallel like the typical middle position.

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I was "Semi" aware of the 1st option and knew of the 2nd one. You reminded me of the passive/active switch Seymour Duncan has. Looking for a way to get this to work(Combining both). I want to take the simplest path to work in parallel.

So, since both are Seymour Duncan pickups, I should get a SD Pre-amp. For continuity sake, If nothing else...

')