Seymour Duncan Nazgul Review

• Thread starter mustache79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mustache79

I like to play
Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped a Nazgul into my Douglas 727. This guitar has a basswood body, single volume 500k setup. Also, I did move the pickup closer to the bridge by roughly 3/4" ala M8m style. Ley me tell you, night and day between the stock pickup. Tuned G-C with .082-.012 gauge strings- Kalium.

The Nazgul fits it's description to a T. Tight lows that are thick and organic without being boomy or muddy at all. Low power chords are clear and cutting. Individual low notes are articulate as can be without soundind sterile. The low mids deliver a nice djenty metalcore honk without being harsh. The upper mids are smoother than expected but very cutting. It's pretty bright but not overly bright. The output is moderately hot but not as hot as I would have expected, in a nice way. This pickup compared to the D Activators seem slightly lower in output with a great midrange boost that suits my djenty needs better.

Glad I choose the Nazgul over D Activators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
It's a sweet pickup, love it too. Have you played the Distortion? If so, how would you compare them?

I didn't really like the D Activator, but then again, SD>>Dimarzio in the majority of instances imo.

mustache79

I like to play
Reaction score
It's a sweet pickup, love it too. Have you played the Distortion? If so, how would you compare them?

I didn't really like the D Activator, but then again, SD>>Dimarzio in the majority of instances imo.

I have no experience with the Distortion. I do have DA's in my 6 string and I like them too, but for what I'm doing with my 727 the Nazgul fits so much better.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
My finger is hovering over the BUY button. I dont have the coin for Lundgren M8C, but the Nazgul seems very close and great value for money. Someone convince me to click the button already. (just doing bridge for now)

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Do it! You won't regret it. I have loved mine ever since I got it and haven't regretted it for a second.:yesway:

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
any of you guys coil splitting the Nazgul? I am going to buy the Nazgul/Sentient to replace my 808s and also want to add a coil tap switch on my tone knob. I hate not being able to coil split my pickups.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
any of you guys coil splitting the Nazgul? I am going to buy the Nazgul/Sentient to replace my 808s and also want to add a coil tap switch on my tone knob. I hate not being able to coil split my pickups.

I'm not planning on it, its not a feature I would ever use. But the pickup install is the time to do it if you want to!

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
My question is how is it for death/black/melodic metal or thrash. I've got one sitting waiting on me to finish up the guitar it's going in. Spec wise and from what I've read/watched it seems like it should work. Hell just the artwork & cosmetics scream metal but I'm by no means a fan of high/honky djenty mids that were in the OPs description.

Soooo

Does it metal?

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
My question is how is it for death/black/melodic metal or thrash. I've got one sitting waiting on me to finish up the guitar it's going in. Spec wise and from what I've read/watched it seems like it should work. Hell just the artwork & cosmetics scream metal but I'm by no means a fan of high/honky djenty mids that were in the OPs description.

Soooo

Does it metal?

Sounds like you want a S.D. Invader. There's one on the classifieds.

EDIT: Kentucky eh? You guys crank some pretty good metal outta that state!

')