Seymour Duncan Omega/Sentient?

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
Anyone had this idea before? Never heard anyone saying that they used this combo or even thought about it, the thing is, I really love the Omega but hate the Alpha (too sparkly and not creamy at all), the sentient would be the logical substitution since it has that creaminess that every neck should have for me. What do you guys think of that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Anyone had this idea before? Never heard anyone saying that they used this combo or even thought about it, the thing is, I really love the Omega but hate the Alpha (too sparkly and not creamy at all), the sentient would be the logical substitution since it has that creaminess that every neck should have for me. What do you guys think of that?
I actually use this combo in my avenger 8. Personally I hate the sentient and don't find it creamy sounding at all. It has this kind of blah eq and doesn't really shine for lead work because of the voicing. I like really smooth sounding neck pickups and the sentient is not that smooth. If you want a smooth liquidy sound then the black winter neck or cold sweat neck work far better for that (though the cold sweat is a fair bit smoother imo). The liquifire or VHII also works from what I've heard, though I haven't tested either.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I say go for it, especially if you know you like the Sentient already.
This may not be a common pairing for two reasons:
#1 most people seem to like the Alpha
#2 most who buy the Omega will likely buy the Alpha to match.

Personally I find the Sentient in my PRS 7-string to be decently creamy/liquidy, but its not near as creamy/liquidy in my Ibanez RGA121H (all mahogany body). This may be a function of the guitar woods and construction (scale length especially), but also pickup height (my Ibanez isn't as easily adjustable as my PRS).

Mike

Reaction score
The sentient will be smoother than the alpha, but there's probably better options out there. I've had the sentient in a few guitars and always though it was more similar to a liquifire, but lower output and not quite as upper middy. I wouldn't really consider it creamy. Is it a 6 or 7 string? If you're not opposed to brand mixing, an Air Norton of PAF may be more of what you're looking for.

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies!

Indeed, I'm aware that the Sentient is not that creamy/liquidy. I don't know, Sithu Aye's Constants and Variables (from the album Set Course for Andromeda) is my go-to neck lead tone, it's so full and has that liquid quality. The problem is: I assume he is using the Nazgul/Sentient set because he's a Mayo player! I'm not even sure.

I have an Air Norton in my Ibby and a Juggernaut on a custom guitar, really love both of them, the middle field between both would be perfect for me.