Share your 64-bit recording environment experiences

• Thread starter guitarplayerone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
hey guys, so i've been wondering if you have had any experience running any 64bit operating systems for recording (mainly to take advantage of the extra RAM). i've recently figured out that i can install a 64bit os on my computer- so i want to upgrade my ram... and of course i've run into the 3.xgb ram limit in 32-bit operating systems.

i'd love to hear you guy's experiences using:

various 64-bit os'es
various interfaces
various DAWs
32 vs 64-bit hosts within the 64-bit environment
superior drummer 32-bit inside a 64bit host
superior drummer 64-bit
convolution impulses

and anything else you might care to share.

for example i wonder, lets say you are running cubase 5 in 64-bit but using 32-bit vsts inside of it. the 32-bit vst, assuming it works (which i'm not sure if it will in xp64 which is one of the things i'm wondering about), can technically only address 4gb of memory. the question is, will another 32-bit process automatically be allocated to 'another' 4gb section of memory, effectively just using different sections of RAM, or is it (as i fear) unable to address that memory at all?

furthermore, would one experience significant processing improvements even just using a 64-bit host and 64bit drivers, say for my firestudio (if they work lol), over 32-bit because the 32-bit processes would be allocated the 'lower' 4gb of RAM so to speak, and therefore you will still gain the advantage of having the extra RAM even in this processing environment.

i should perhaps mention my processor is an Intel Pentium D(ual core) 830 3.0ghz but i am mainly interested in your experiences.

share!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
i have xp 64 and windows 7 64
specs is
Dual- quad core 3ghz intel
16 gb ram
nvidia 9800GX2

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Snow Leopard on my mac is 64 bit. i haven´t really thought about whether or not it makes a difference to me though. works perfectly fine, is fast and smooth, all that stuff. so i guess that´s good then :lol:

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i have xp 64 and windows 7 64
specs is
Dual- quad core 3ghz intel
16 gb ram
nvidia 9800GX2

^:holy:

Snow Leopard on my mac is 64 bit. i haven´t really thought about whether or not it makes a difference to me though. works perfectly fine, is fast and smooth, all that stuff. so i guess that´s good then :lol:

haven't thought means it works well :)

JeffTD

Reaction score
99% of my plugins don't work in 64-bit mode, so it's not really been of benefit to me. None of my sampler-based instruments (Superior 2.0, Trillian, Omnisphere) are 64-bit yet, so the increased RAM capabilities aren't really utilized (3GB switch in XP makes a LOAD of difference, though!).

I use Cubase 5 and Logic 9; haven't tried Cubase much in 64-bit yet, but Logic in 64-bit seems to run smoother and a shload quicker than in 32-bit.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
I'm running Tracktion 2 in 64 bit mode on Windows 7 x64 and getting excellent results. All my plugins seem to work too.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
just realized my copy of logic isn't 64 bit. the latest version of logic, however, is. my OS is 64 bit though.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I have been using Win 7 64 bit with sonar PE 64 and Cubase 5 with no issues now that I have a presonus. I was having significant issues previously with my fw 1082.

My system is:
quad core 3.2
8 gig ram 1600
nvidia 275
two 1 terabyte drives

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
32-bit superior inside of 64-bit cubase.

works fine.

my 32 bit nuendo freeze on me more but i like it better, oddly enough.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i use win7 and ableton live

i don't have a problem with any software or plug-ins not working properly.

haffner1

Reaction score
I run Sonar 7 PE 64 version on my Vista laptop and I have huge problems with the EZDrummer. Constant crashes when moving midi files around, and when I have alot of chopped up midi files, to adjust things for my songs, I get tons of missed hits on playback. I actually have to make changes and then mix the drums down to an audio track so I can get proper playback. My old Sempron processor desktop that runs XP runs Sonar 7 in 32 bit, and I have almost no problems with the EZDrummer. The computer is a bit slow, and I can get dropouts if I don't keep the hard drive fairly empty, but on the whole, much fewer problems.

phantom911

Reaction score
I have 64 bit Windows 7 and about half the plugins I try using don't work in the 64 bit Reaper, although that may just be a problem with Reaper

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
my sole experience
Vista 64
Cubase Studio 4 64 bit
Mackie Onyx 400F
more than 75% of my plugins did not work. Very little performance benefit overall when I swapped everything out for plugins that did work (but were inferior in sound). The program itself crashed non stop, it was almost impossible to get drop-free audio until I used a ridiculous amount of samples. Even running the 32 bit version of CS4, I got my plugins back but the program was still unusable and audio recording problems continued because Mackie drivers are terrible.
Went back to XP 32 bit and all problems were solved.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
^^ did you try XP 64-bit?

that would let you know if the problems are due to 64-bit incompatibility with your plugins/hardware, or if the problem was just vista.

the fact is that vista is a terrible OS where stability/compatibility goes. windows 7 solved all of the problems vista had.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
using win7 64 and cubase5, pro tools8. pt8 is buggy still, cubase5 is cool, but, a lot of plugins don't work in the 64bit version.

pc is: dual quad core xeon 2.4ghz with 16gb of ram. I'm also having a few hardware stability issues with win7, but i think that's down to me using an old gfx card which I'm going to replace this weekend.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Any one know of any line 6 recording stuff that will work with 64 Win 7? I can't use my old Toneport GX so I'm gonna have to look for something else or go back to using my old laptop which barely works.

Or is there a usb interface that will be compatible with Windows 7 and allow me to use the Marshall 410's silent recording function?

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i use win7 64-bit with my POD and it has no problem at all.

have you checked for new drivers from line6?

')