Share your workout

• Thread starter BusinessMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Hello and good day all! I'm creating this thread for the sole reason of expanding my exercise routines (and possible anyone who stops by in this thread). So feel free to share some your favorite workouts and/or top exercises. Tips and critiques are welcome!

Here's mine for today:

Reps until failure, slowly to get full activation and motion:
Dumbbell bench press- 4 sets
tricep extensions- 6 sets
pushups- 4 sets
body weight tricep dips- 4 sets
tricep pull downs- sets until failure
incline bench- 4 sets
flat bench- sets until failure
chest cable crosses- 4 sets

Kevcarnage

Reaction score
I usually give each muscle group their own day. for chest the routine is
Flat bench - 2 sets 10 reps light weight for warm up. then 3 sets first a moderate weight 10 reps. then a heavier weight (you should only be able to get 6-8 reps) and than a max weight (1-3 reps) then go back down to moderate weight (go for 6 reps).
Incline bench - 3 sets, same method as above. 10 reps for first, 8 for second set and 6 for 3rd. dont go nearly as heavy on the flat bench.
Incline dumbbell press - 5 sets of 5 reps. Heavy weight (you should only be able to get 5)
Incline Flys - 3-4 sets depending on how destroyed my muscles feel lol. Same routine as the incline bench.
Flat fys - 3 sets of 10 medium weight. this is the burnout.
I usually dont do lower chest but if i do i just do body weight tricep dips. add weight if your feeling lucky

My philosophy is the same with each workout. Go heavy with less reps. i usually never exceed 10 reps with anything. Just be sure that those 10 reps are all you're able to handle with that weight. than less reps with heavier weight and so on until you're only doing a 1 rep max. Word of caution with 1 rep max's. You have to make sure your form is perfect when doing it. Go light until you master form. thats the most important thing.
so anyways a back day would look something like
Deadlift - 10 reps, 8 reps, 4-6 reps, 1-2 reps, 6 reps just to destroy yourself
bent over barbell row - 10 reps, 8, reps, 6 reps, 3 reps than use the same weight and get another 2 sets going for 3-5 reps. this is a good one to go heavy with
T bar row - 5 sets of 5 with heavy weight
Cable row - 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps remember to increase weight
Bent over dumbbell rows - 10 reps, 8 reps, 6-8 reps, 4-6 reps same thing^
Lat pulldowns - 10 reps, 8, reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 8 reps.
either bodyweight or weighted pull ups sets until failure. when you wanna quit, do another set.
remember always good form

Shoulders
standing military Press. 10 reps with just the bar. Careful with this exercise. It's very easy to injure yourself if you go to heavy or use bad form. I do 1 rep max's with this but my form is always good. I did actually screw up my neck when i first started working out. i tried doing too much weight and sacrificed my form to get it up. but anyway when your form is mastered 10 reps, 8 reps, 6, reps, 3 reps, 3 reps. 6 reps
Dumbbell shoulder press- 10 reps, 8, reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Arnold press - 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
standing Dumbbell fly- 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 8 reps, 10 reps
than ill do some cable stuff. Theres a bunch of different cable exercises you can switch it up with. look some up

for legs
squat - 10, 8, 6, 3, 1, 6 after you master form go heavy with this. nothing builds leg strength like an ass to grass squat
Front squat - 10, 10, 8, 6, 4
leg press - 10, 8, 6, 6, 8, 10
Lunges - 8, 8, 8, 6
Leg extension - 10, 8, 6, 6, 6, 8, 10
Leg curl - 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
hip thrusts or the glute machine - 10, 10, 10
Standing Calf Raise - 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
seated calf raise - 12, 12, 12, 10
you can superset the calf raises. super setting leg extensions and curls is a deadly superset as well if your up to it.

Arms. I usually always deadift when i do arms. It activates them very well and also deadlift along with squats are two of the most strength building exercises. Its good to do it twice a week anyways.
Deadlift - whatever you're comfortable with. If you went super heavy on back day than dont go as heavy. If you didnt though than go all out!
Biceps
Standing bicep barbell curl - 10, 8, 6, 4, 6, 8, 10
Incline Curl - 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
Preacher curl - 10, 8, 6, 4
Hammer curls - 12, 10, 8, 6, 8
Cable curls - 12, 12, 12, 10, 8, 6
pull ups till failure 3 sets
Triceps
Barbell skullcrusher - 10, 8, 6, 4, 6, 8, 10
Close grip bench press - 10, 8, 6, 5
Dumbbell Skullcrusher - 10, 8, 6
Tricep cable pull downs - 10, 8, 6, 6, 8, 10
Tricep extension (you can do it with cable) - 10, 8, 6
dips until failure for 3 sets

blacai

Reaction score
I just do strength training. I don't want to waste time thinking about how to combine reps, series or whatever.
I started using the known SS 5x5. Then I switched to the 3x5 and tried 531 after 10 years. Best results I got were while doing 5x5 because I rocketed from 0 and with 531. 531 was killer but I had enough time to dedicate to sport and healthy food<--REALLY important.
Unfortunately I cannot continue now with the 531 because it is very hard and demangin so I went back to 5x5 with deloads every 3 months. I still get good improvements at the end of each cycle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I'm in a pretty savage cut right now (well, probably not compared to someone going through contest prep for a BB show, but I'm not a body builder so meh) so I've pretty much stopped doing volume work and am focusing entirely on intensity, as my muscles aren't going to be getting bigger anyways and intensity work has been continually shown to be better at preserving both strength and muscle mass. It also beats up the body less, which is nice when your diet is crushing your soul already.

Day One:
Front Squat: 3x3
Bench: 3x6
RDL: 3x3
Press: 3x3
Barbell Rows: 3x3
Fat Grip Stomach Drag Barbell Curl: 2x5

Day Two:
High Bar Squat: 3x3
Bench: 3x3
Deadlift 2x3
Press: 3x3
Pull Ups: 5x10
Fat Grip "extended" dumbbell "Skullcrushers": 2x5

Day Three:
Low Bar Squat: 3x3
Slingshot Bench: 4x3
Farmer's Deadlift: 6x2. If successful add 20 pounds and do AMRAP set with a goal of 3+
Press: 4x6
Fat Grip Incline Rear Lateral Raise/Reverse Fly/Whatever the fuck you want to call it: 3x5 Because the rear delts don't get enough love.

Pretty straightforward. Focus on the big lifts and high frequency, as my body seems to respond much better to that than giving each lift it's own day. Whole body every day. Assistance work to bring up my weak points.

gnoll

Reaction score
Thinking about it, my training has definately evolved over the years. When I started out I did bro splits all the time, and I made damn sure to include isolation exercises for biceps and other minor muscles. Nowadays I tend to work through many more muscles every workout. I have a bigger focus on compound exercises and a better understanding of what's important.

That said, my training at the moment is very impromptu. I go to the gym and I think "hm, what should I do today? I suppose it was a while ago since I did .........., so that's probably a good idea". I try not to use more than 2 sessions to train through my entire body, and sometimes I cover almost everything in 1 session.

My main back builder is weighted pull-ups, complemented with barbell rows and shrugs. I also do deadlifts (sumo) but I do them when I do legs, followed by light squats or leg press, and leg extensions and leg curls. I don't really do heavy squats since I like deadlifts more. One day I will try to get good at squats. For chest I do bench press or dumbbell press and flyes, and the same exercises incline. I add close grip bench and skull crushers for triceps. For shoulders I do military press, side raises and reverse flyes. I don't really do biceps or calves isolation.

As far as sets and reps go, usually low reps and many sets, but that depends on the exercise. Deadlifts mostly 1-5 reps, skull crushers and leg extensions 7-15 reps, and the rest somewhere in between, except for pull-ups which is kind of a special case. For pull-ups I warm up by adding weight in 5 kg increments and do 1-3 reps per set until I get to my max, then I remove weight again by 5 kg, and for each set I try to beat my personal record of reps for that specific weight. I do that for several sets until I am spent, then drop all weight and do 1 set body weight. If I want to go all in to beat a reps record for body weight or with a certain amount of weight, I will warm up the same way, drop weight to where I'm going and just go. For most other exercises my set/reps routines are a bit simpler although I'm pretty impromptu overall, doing things mostly by feel.

Tomorrow I'm doing chest and legs, and maybe some shoulders.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'm on the comeback trail after a year recovering from a trap tear and spent a few months doing light work with one part a day but after a lot of thought/reading I've moved onto full body and I'm really enjoying it.
I've ended up squatting and benching twice a week (one day focused on heavy weight/low reps the other high reps/medium weight) deadlifting once a week (5x4-6) with accessory work (arms/abs) on each day I love farmers walks so I threw in a strongman day (farmers walks with kegs or kettlebells) on sunday too.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Right now, my split is as follows:

Monday:
Snatch - 5x1
Clean and jerk - 5x1

Wednesday:
Oly squat - 3x5
Strict press - 3x5
Barbell row - 3x5
Pullups - 3xME

Thursday:
Snatch - 5x1
Clean and jerk - 5x1

Saturday:
Front squat - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Romanian deadlift - 3x5
Chin-ups - 3xME

Each day, I will vary what accessory work I do, but I will at least hit one isolation exercise per correlated compound movement. I also like to mix up the rep schemes from time to time for heavy vs. dynamic vs. rep days. For instance, my Wednesday this week was working up to a heavy single on squats with no belt and no sleeves, heavy doubles on OHP, and heavy triples on rows. My accessories were low weight high rep leg extensions, lateral dumbbell raises, and Kroc rows. Today, I'll be doing some technique work with the Oly lifts, then following them with hang snatches, clean pulls, and probably a couple other isolation movements for shoulders and hamstrings.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I've tweaked my program a wee little bit. Added some volume back, took too much off I'm thinking, and am doing things to take stress off my low back. I drive for a living and my lower back was just getting fucking destroyed between 10+ hours shifts and various squats benching and deadlifts. Probably gonna run it for around 12 weeks and see how my back is doing after that. Looks fairly similar, so I won't type it all out again, but rep and/or set have gone up by one or two respectively and things like the dead have been replaced with a sumo dead (I hate sumo deadlifting. I have no technique on it, weight was hacked down a lot to let me work on that and the lower weight should help with the stress anyways) and I'm doing seal rows and Bulgarian Spilt squats instead of the Low bar. Benching with a flat back and no leg drive (A million powerlifters just cried out in pain) except on my heavy day with the slingshot.

Squatting felt good for the first time in months last Friday, so it seems to be going well so far!

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Doing 5/3/1 now, three days a week.
A: Squat
B: Bench & Deadlift
C: Shoulder Press & Squat

Some assistance work like dumbbell rows and chins.

And a ton of grip training :)

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I loved 5/3/1. I ran the off-season for mass and off-season for conditioning variations and saw a massive increase in my numbers. Think I put 40 lbs on my squat, 20 lbs on my deadlift, and 30 lbs on my bench in about 12 weeks.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
When I had easy access to a gym I tried DUP(daily undulating periodization) for a while and loved it but eventually got bored. I keep workouts pretty simple now since my apartment gym is very limited and I am lazy.

I can't wait to move home so I can create my own gym (i.e. power rack) to do a lot more strength training.

neotronic

Reaction score
I'm doing the Fierce5 dumbbell program (link: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671 ). It has 2 workouts, A and B, which are to be alternated consecutively, so I do A on monday, B on wednesday, A on friday, B on monday, A on wednesday, B on friday ... The exercises are for A:

3x8 - Split Squat (each leg)
3x8 - Bench
3x8 - DB Rows
3x10 - Reverse Flies
2x15 - Calf raises
2x10 - French Press

and for B workout
3x8 - Walking Lunge (each leg)
3x8 - Overhead Press
3x8 - Romanian Deadlift
3x8 - Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups
2x15 - Ab work
2x10 - Curls

I'm on it for the last 3 months and I'm liking it a lot.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
I loved 5/3/1. I ran the off-season for mass and off-season for conditioning variations and saw a massive increase in my numbers. Think I put 40 lbs on my squat, 20 lbs on my deadlift, and 30 lbs on my bench in about 12 weeks.

Which program is meant for the off season, is it "Boring But Big"?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Which program is meant for the off season, is it "Boring But Big"?
There's a website (https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator) where you choose a platform of 5/3/1 and input your numbers, and it will create a plan tailored to whichever version of the program you chose. There's like 20 different variations.

Disclaimer: I own the 5/3/1 book, so I'm not just using the program for free.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I feel the, "Beyond 5/3/1" book is an essential read if one likes the 5/3/1 method.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
There's a website (https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator) where you choose a platform of 5/3/1 and input your numbers, and it will create a plan tailored to whichever version of the program you chose. There's like 20 different variations.

Disclaimer: I own the 5/3/1 book, so I'm not just using the program for free.

Ok I see. I have all the books but I have not read through it all yet. I'm doing 5's progression right now. I think I'm going to try BBB after my next deload.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
BBB is a staple for a lot of guys I know. Never done it myself, but I may at some point.