Shielding a Strat?

• Thread starter baconbag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    shielding
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
I feel like adding something here:
1. De solder the output jack.
2. Remove the the scratch plate (screw on front)
3. Line cavity with foil/paint
4. Line cavity cover with foil
5. Place parts on a chopping block and run stanley knife round edge to remove excess foil
6. Remove pickups, knobs switches, selector and use strips of foil/paint to line scratchplate
7. Re attach pickups/selector/knobs
8. Replace and resolder output jack
9. If required by you, solder or use terminal lugs (lug held by a screw) to the body, plate and cavity cover and attach to any pot earthing point.
10. restring and setup guitar.
11. Play! Enjoy being free of the curse of single coils! The hum should be MUCH less, not gone, but much less.

I've done this for customers and it works well, in fact I do it to all my guitars. It doesn't take long, if your going to do a complete set up anyway. Sand and polish the neck while you're at it. If you have a truss rod in the body, check that as well while your there. I use aluminium sticky back tape, as it is cheap and easily available from DIY stores. I'm sure copper is better, but I don't special order things unless they're "special" and hard to find.

baconbag, the wire from the volume pot to earth is so the volume pot feeds to earth when it is not used, in the OFF postion. That way, it turns down the volume. By removing it, I would assume they meant, bending the volume pot lug onto the pot and soldering it there, removing the wire. The lug may break, it may not, depending how slowly you bend it. I see this on some guitars and have done it in the past.

i've even gone so far as shielding the individual wire runs from pickups etc. as an experiment, but this didn't yield much difference. Try to use the best quality wire you can and if you really want a good job, use heat shrink wrap on the cable runs.

If all that sounds too hard, get single coil humbuckers! Or a proper guitar! With 7 strings and humbuckers! :)

Also, final note, please don't be one of those guys who plays a strat with max treble, bridge position, max tone... strats are painful nasty trebely things designed with one though in mind: Maximum treble!!! They hurt and are dangerous to the audiences ears when loud.

I go to a lot of blues things and there is always a bunch of Strat-ists, all "elite Strat gurus"; they know all about every model, colour and year, and hurt everybody's ears with their trebely musings. I always recommend the master tone mod (put the tone at the end of the signal, rather than stock which is on each pickup, if I remember right) so you have some control of the pain threshold, i.e. ice pick in ears treble. I hope that helps!!! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

baconbag

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but how do you recommend I ground the shield in the output jack cavity (haven't even thought about shielding that)? Also, I have a "proper" guitar, a Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707's, so there! haha jk. I'm mostly doing this as a learning project.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Shielding the cavity is best done with shielding paint. It's a black carbon based conductive paint, I couldn't begin to tell you where to buy it in the states outside of StewMac.

Be careful not to let anything not ground (EG the poles of a switch or lugs of a pot) touch the paint as it'll short.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but how do you recommend I ground the shield in the output jack cavity (haven't even thought about shielding that)? Also, I have a "proper" guitar, a Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707's, so there! haha jk. I'm mostly doing this as a learning project.

check your pm my dude ;)

')