Shielding Paint Question

DiegusMaximus32

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just began reshielding my Ibanez RGA121. I'm at an impasse where I'm debating whether or not to shield the pickup routes. I've done this on other guitars, but not sure whether or not it was absolutely necessary. The other factor in this decision is that the neck pickup route is where the neck joins the body, so I would be painting the neck as well:
IMG_1372.jpg

Is this okay?

Also: should I be shielding the wiring routes that go inside the body? These:
IMG_1373.jpg

I feel that this is most likely necessary to complete the Faraday Cage that shielding seeks to create, though on guitars that have beens shielded using copper tape, I can't imagine they were able to get inside these spaces. Any advice is appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Millar

Guitar Maker
Reaction score
Most traditional humbuckers have their backplate grounded, and if they are covered, than the entire pickup is shielded. On top of that the pickup is hum-bucking so no problems there.
As for the cable routs: The cable itself should be shielded, so no need to pour paint into the channels.

DiegusMaximus32

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Right on, thanks so much guys. So it should be fine when the pickups are coil tapped too, right? That's the case in which I anticipate the most hum and need for shielding.

Benjamin Millar

Guitar Maker
Reaction score
Right on, thanks so much guys. So it should be fine when the pickups are coil tapped too, right? That's the case in which I anticipate the most hum and need for shielding.

Yes. Just keep the shielding wire (the 5th exposed one) wired directly to ground, and make sure its connected to the baseplate on the pickup side.
That way no matter what sort of manipulation you do on the wiring side, the pickup remains shielded.

')