Shopping for an 8 string

• Thread starter Lasik124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new here.

I've come in hope for some output on helping me shop for my first 8 string guitar as I've been a seven string user for years want want to take it up a notch!

What caught my eye at first was the Ltd Fm-418, I like the Neck Through and Two Active Emg 808's Because I very much so enjoy my 707's.

I then learned about Agile eight string guitars and see many people use them, They look like a guitar that'd fit me better, As of right now though none of the models have two Active 808's.

I've been looking at the current Agile Interceptor, my only concern is no active pickups. How do the passive pickups hold up? Also It Comes with A Kahler Bridge.

I'm looking for any advisement on what 8 string to buy, I'm looking for a guitar I can still shred on, And can handle the F# string well, without being muddy. Is Agile the way to go, Ltd? The one Ibanez is a little pricey for me.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I wouldn't concern myself with the pickups if I were you. While I have no 8 string myself, a lot of people here seem to think the EMG 8s really sound like shit. There's a lot better pickups out there, so I'd get one with passives that you can maybe change later, rather than one with EMGs which will leave big gaps if you decide you don't like them.
Good passive pickups hold up very well - I'm sure many of the bands you listen to use them.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Thanks for the output! The more and more I look at the Interceptor the more I like it, I think it might be the one!

Anyone else feel free to throw in thoughts and help me pick the right one for me! :)

foreverburn

Reaction score
The Agile Interceptor looks pretty good! Schecter also makes the C8 in both the Hellraiser and Blackjack ATX models, both of which you can score for under $1000(US)

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
The only down point on the Interceptor for me is the scale length as I like thinner strings. But still, it's a very good deal :)

Lasik124

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Thank so you so much to anyone who replied!

So the 808's Really sound like crap? Wow interesting!
I saw the c8 Hellrasiers But Never liked the way the c7 felt so I don't think the c8 is for me, Thank you for the suggestion though!

Ishan What are you implying with the scale length? That it is too long or too short? I know this one is around 27, I don't think I own any that are that length!

To anyone else, Does anyone have any output on the LTD fm-418? Or is Agile just simply better?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
ibanez all the way for me!

l_51e38ebfbeda4555a0382448decc4cfb.jpg

mgcasella

Reaction score
Go with the Agile :hbang:

My main guitar is an Agile AB-3500 Baritone (6 strings with a 28" scale) and it is one of the best factory-run guitars I have played - especially in its price range!

In a month I will be receiving an Agile Dual Intrepid with a 30" scale and I can't wait! Switching from a 25.5" scale to a 28" wasn't that difficult for me (and I have small hands) so don't worry about the extended scale - I'm sure you'll be able to get used to it.

Also, before you buy an Intrepid, be aware that Rondo Music will soon start taking custom-ish orders again. This way you'll be able to choose the color, scale length, number of pups, etc.

However, if you are too excited to wait then go right ahead and buy one now :cool:

Reaction score
I wouldn't concern myself with the pickups if I were you. While I have no 8 string myself, a lot of people here seem to think the EMG 8s really sound like shit. There's a lot better pickups out there, so I'd get one with passives that you can maybe change later, rather than one with EMGs which will leave big gaps if you decide you don't like them.
Good passive pickups hold up very well - I'm sure many of the bands you listen to use them.

Really? :scratch: I hadn't heard this. It seems to me the general consensus is that they are vastly superior to the 707 and not that bad of a pickup. What I really wanna do with a 2228 is the 18v mod with the 808s. :hbang:

Lasik124

Reaction score
Hey again everyone Thank you so much for all the replies!

Tbar, The Ibanez one sure is nice, and although I do have the money I'm not that big on spending that much for a guitar at this moment, Only exception is a Jem ;)

Mgcasella Thanks for the reccomendation! I was looking more at the interceptor then the Interpid but we shall see! Thanks for the info on the scale not being too diffirent too, I Was a tad worried!

You know...As Much as I want to, and How awesome It would be to have a custom eight string...The 4-6 month wait would honestly kill me, I've had this whole 8 string idea for close to a year now, and its so strong right now, I couldnt take it any longer haha! But! I am still debating it, it seems like the way to go.

Also to SethMetal Yes It opens Jan 1st-Jan 10th!

To Matt, Hmm I suppose its all Opinion, I suppose it might depend on your style? I am playing metal so I think they'd work well...But I have never played them out of my rig or even a decent amp for that matter.

Any clue if the pickups the Agile are equipped with are anygood for anyone who owns them?

Thanks in advance and any more opinions are help are very very appreciated!

Wierdoom

Squidlord
Reaction score

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Really? :scratch: I hadn't heard this. It seems to me the general consensus is that they are vastly superior to the 707 and not that bad of a pickup. What I really wanna do with a 2228 is the 18v mod with the 808s. :hbang:

Not sure ive ever once heard anyone say that the 808s were even close to the 707s. Im not a fan of the one in my Intrepid but I just suffer with it with the 18v mod until I get my other guitars and order a blackout. The 18v mod dosent do a whole lot to fix the tone, but its worth the few bucks to make the mod harness to see if you like it.

')