Short HD500 clip - tonetest, feedback appreciated

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on finding a nice rhythm tone on my HD500 for recording and I made two comparison clips (both tones are similar, but slightly different as also different guitars/PUs were used).
Sorry for the sloppy playing....

version A:
Tonetest 1a by Lars Bauer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

version B:
Tonetest 1b by Lars Bauer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

What do you think of this tone in general?
Which version do you think sounds better?
What should I change/improve on either version?

EDIT: here is a new version, is this better than the previous ones?
http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/tonetest-1d

Thanks,
Lars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I prefer the second one, but I'm not sure I know enough to say how to improve either.

Blazerok

Reaction score
i liked the second one better too.
Hi hat was way to bright/piercing on both track. You might want to remove a bit of the "clickyness" on the kick too.
Your guitar tone was cool though. what amp model did you use?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I prefer the second one, but I'm not sure I know enough to say how to improve either.

i liked the second one better too.
Hi hat was way to bright/piercing on both track. You might want to remove a bit of the "clickyness" on the kick too.
Your guitar tone was cool though. what amp model did you use?

Thank you.

Yes, the drums are not very good, I just used an AD preset, will still have to work on the drums more.

For the guitar I used two patches panned 100L/100R, one is the Treadplate and the other one is the F-Ball, both are boosted with a TS model.

Purelojik

Reaction score
damnt hat guitar sounds awesome. i agree with everyone else about the piercing highs on the hats and stuff. take some of that stuff down a bit and your good. perhaps turn the guitars down a tad and make everything gel a bit more. its sounds great but ....too separated? i dunno not much else its pretty damn good to me

Santuzzo

Reaction score
damnt hat guitar sounds awesome. i agree with everyone else about the piercing highs on the hats and stuff. take some of that stuff down a bit and your good. perhaps turn the guitars down a tad and make everything gel a bit more. its sounds great but ....too separated? i dunno not much else its pretty damn good to me

Thanks !

By too separated you mean the bass guitar and guitars that don't gel well?

All_¥our_Bass;3102778 said:
Maybe a little more bottom, and it doesn't have too much gain.

Thank you!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I like version B.

I actually REALLY like version B.

Well done

Thanks a lot!

The funny/weird thing is that I expected version A to be liked better, because I used a j-custom with DiMarzio's for it, B on the other hand was done with an 1527 and Ibby stock PUs.

But since the DiMarzio's on the j-custom have a lower output (PAF 7) I changed the gain setting accordingly. Maybe if I add a bit more gain to version A it will come closer. But I am not sure if the difference is just a matter of gain.

Santuzzo

Reaction score

Santuzzo

Reaction score
')