Shorter springs? RG1527 Trem

• Thread starter thedonal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
When I upped my string guage (years ago) on my 1527, I had to add a fourth spring to get the tension right.

The only problem is that to do this, I can't use the locking plate that screws in over the spring ends on the trem block.

So when I remove the strings for replacement/neck cleaning and oiling, the bridge sproings off the posts (and has chipped the paint!!) and it's a pain when restringing again.

Are there shorter/stiffer springs I can get in the UK to get back down to 3 springs so I can fit the plate, or will having 2 of the 3 springs at an angle do the trick?

Just a little something to make life a bit easier....

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Various vendors market "heavy duty" springs. They're not really shorter, but are less elastic.

The easiest to get would probably be the Floyd Rose branded ones.

devastone

Reaction score
Have you bottomed out the claw with 3 springs?

Floyd Rose and FU-Tone both sell heavier springs, which means they have a higher spring rate, which translates into a much stiffer feel. Not sure if 3 HD springs will feel better than 4 standard springs though. I was using the HD springs in my 7620 but didn't like the feel, I ended up going back to 3 standard springs and tightening the claw more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
Yeah- it woudn't go further and a screw head started rounding!!

Cool- cheers both. I'll look it up.

Feel wise- if they're similar tension to cope it'll be fine. Hopefully there won't be much flutter when I pick harder, but it's mainly so I can fit the locking plate back on to keep the trem in place...

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
The “heavy duty” red ones from Floyd are actually a bit shorter, I use them on my Charvel. If you go that route, make sure you scrape off a bit if the coating on the tips to maintain continuity for your ground (assuming you’ve got it soldered to the claw).

I normally do 3 springs in the “/|\” configuration, but with these suckers I had the claw backed out uncomfortably far (fear of the screws getting yanked from the body), so I put them in straight (|||).

thedonal

Reaction score
Cheers. Yeah- good shout on the grounding.

I was considering putting 3 of the standard springs on in the /|\ config, still don't think that'll be enough. And I don't want to be pulling them off (lol) and putting them on again over and over...

aesthyrian

Reaction score

thedonal

Reaction score
Well. Whaddaya know? I was playing with the spring setup on my 1527. Moved it to 3 in the slanted setup. It wasn't enough.

So I though- I bought springs years ago with this in mind. What did I find in the tool box? A set of 3 unused high tension springs. No red paint.

In they went. Llots of fun with the strings all at tuned tension- thank the Gods of engineering for spring pullers!!

A bit of setting up and they're all good. And no flutter when I pick hard. Perfecto! With no extra money spent.

Now for chucking new strings on (and oiling the fretboard!) - that low B always suffers most when the strings age..

Latest posts