Should a player be 7-string exclusive???

• Thread starter Ironside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ironside

Reaction score
I was just thinking... if you learn to play guitar with a 7-string, should that be the only type of guitar you play?

I would imagine that you learn to play a certain way and if you switch back and forth between 6 and 7 strings wouldn't it throw you off?

As a beginner, should I focus on the 7 and resist confusing myself by picking up a 6-string to switch back and forth from?

What is everyone's opinion on this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A guitarist should NEVER limit themselves, and that includes exclusivity to a certain kind/type/brand/configuration of guitar, or any gear for that matter.

It's an extra string, and that is all. If you feel that you can't comfortably play 6s and 7s, then just play one. Just understand that it's only as hard as you make it.

Reaction score
I have a 6 set up in drop C and a 7 in B standard. I just use whatever I feel like, the 6 has a much warmer jazzier sound so if I'm not playing DM I'll usually use that.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It doesn't throw you off too much. It's not confusing after a couple of minutes adjustment (and that's coming from someone who didn't touch a 6 in 6 months).

A guitarist should indeed never limit themselves - so I would say..yes. If you play a 7 string, stick to it. That way you're not limited if every you wish to hit that lower note!
However, if playing a 7 means you cannot do some things that you could do on your 6, then of course, you're limiting yourself there too :agreed:

Ironside

Reaction score
Haha... I suppose you're right.

Do a lot of you guys with 7's always down-tune your guitars? Does it make sense to use a 7 but to keep it in B standard tuning?

I'd imagine you can still get a much heavier sound from a standard tuned 7 versus a 6.

Isn't drop-tuning it overkill?

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep my Schecter 7 in standard, my Les Paul (6 string) in either drop C or drop B, and my Peavey Strat either standard or 1/2 step down.

All the BS about needing to adjust is silly. Pick up a mandolin, banjo, lute, a single-string broomstick, whatever, and I bet you'll rock on it in no time.

Ckackley

Reaction score
Yeah , I play guitar (6 and 7), mandolin, bass (4 and 5) and the Greek Bazouki. Though I do find myself staying with 7 strings more. That's simply due to the physical dimensions. A 7 just seems to fit my hands better. I'm a long fingered big handed guy.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I started playing guitar on a 7 in A standard so take that for what it's worth. :lol:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Haha... I suppose you're right.

Do a lot of you guys with 7's always down-tune your guitars? Does it make sense to use a 7 but to keep it in B standard tuning?

I'd imagine you can still get a much heavier sound from a standard tuned 7 versus a 6.

Isn't drop-tuning it overkill?

I think drop tuning 'limits' just depend on the scale length. I wouldn't want to tune a 26.5" guitar below G, or a 25.5" below A.
Apart from that, there's no reason not to downtune. The only bad thing is you lose your higher notes (hense the reason for 7 and 8 strings rather than a long-scale downtuned 6 string).

I'd suggest you keep your new guitar in B standard or drop A while you learn.

raximkoron

Reaction score
I find that the particular instrument I'm playing kinda influences me to play differently... not in technique, but in style. So I'll switch between my Schecter C-7, a 6-string Strat and 6-string acoustic depending on the mood I'm in when writing.

tiny6996

the baritone of iowa
Reaction score
what i did instead of downtuning my six to drop a i just bought a 7string and would still play older thrash stuff like anthrax and metallica on the bottom six or down the the top six strings so i didnt need two guitars and would still play stuff in 7 string tunings but i wouldnt sugest that for live

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
I go between 6s & 7s all the time. My 7 is tuned to dropped Ab, and my 6s are tuned to either Eb, or dropped Db/C#. They both have their places. Dropped D derived tunings work better on a 6, than a 7 IMO. Also, while I like 7s, it's relatively difficult to find guitars with body styles other than your typical super-strat (and I was stratted out a long time ago), which I basically just tolerate. I love single cutaway hollow bodies. Very few 7-strings have been made as hollowbodied guitars, and I don't have enough cash to buy those that are made, or the expertise to build one. So, I settle for 6-stringers in that regard. Adjustment-wise, you get thrown off for a few minutes when you switch from one ot the other. But, it doens't take too long to mentally shift gears to playing a 6 or 7-string after switching between them.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Not at all, I play a 4 string bass, a 6 string guitar and a seven string guitar.

Looking to get a 7 string bass and 8 and 9 string guitars.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Hell I'm not even guitar exclusive. Anywhere between two and eight strings is good. (èrhú, violin, ukulele, double bass, bass, five-string bass, guitar, seven-string guitar, mandolin)

Latest posts

')