Should I buy a 7 or a 6 string?

• Thread starter jori1995
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jori1995

Reaction score
H guys. I've been looking for a new guitar lately. I've never had a 7 string before. My guitar teacher's got 3 very nice mayones regius 7 strings, which was one of the reasons I've been thinking of buying a 7 string.
I went to the local store and I've tried a schecter hellraiser extreme 6 string and a schecter omen extreme 7 string. both fantastic guitars, but the hellraiser is still much better: better looks, neck, pickups and playability. but the omen was really good as well, and half the price (400 euros).
I want to start playing progressive metal (nevermore, dream theater, symphony x etc). jeff loomis is quite a big inspiration, and I really want to play his stuff. now i've currently got an ibanez rg with ibanez floyd rose, which prevents me from playing in lower tunings. this is great for soloing, but I want to play some heavier stuff as well. I wanna learn to play jeff loomis stuff, sweep picking and heavy rhytm stuff. would you advise me to buy a 7 string or not? of course I can tune my 6 string in a lower tuning, but I think a 7 string comes in really handy when playing nevermoren and symphony x stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
This is sevenstring.org. The answer will always be 7.
(unless you're like me and hang out in the ERG section... BUY AN 8!!!)
Oh, and welkom op de website!

AvengedESP

Reaction score
I bought a 7 string only this week after discovering periphery/progressive metal/this forum/playing my guitar teacher's Ibanez... and I have no intentions of ever looking back :D

It just sounds much more melodic to me, you have all the strings you had before, but with the added benefit of being able to drop down to the low B (or A)... it can sound musical and melodic or just pure brutal (or both!). Also, I think the neck on my 7321 is actually far more comfortable than my 6 string ESP or Dean, but that's just me.

I say go for it, especially since you want to play the music you mentioned, and play your teacher's Mayones for a while as well if they'll let you until you make up your mind ^^

Bribanez

Reaction score
"now i've currently got an ibanez rg with ibanez floyd rose, which prevents me from playing in lower tunings."

I must respectfully disagree with this statement. There is no reason you can't play in lower tunings with your current guitar just because of the FR. You will have to do some tweaking to get it in tune but it can be done.

That said, if you already have a 6 why not step up and get a 7 string? IMHO, the early 90's Ibanez UVs are far better than mot 7s.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Well I went from a 6 to 8 no problem, but I have massive monkey hands so It actually kind of felt more natural then a 6. As for your situation, I agree with everyone else, I say go for the 7 string mate!

Reaction score
Get a head start and buy a 9 string before its becomes threndy so you already have one and will be ahead of the pack?

jori1995

Reaction score
thanks guys. but still, people say that soloing is harder on a 7 string. is that true? and the fact you have less pickup and string choices is also one of the reasons for my doubts. and honestly, do you guys still play songs on 6 strings?

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I say don't buy a seven string. There's a high mortality rate associated with 7 strings, not to mention the increased operating costs and the risk of heroin addiction.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys. but still, people say that soloing is harder on a 7 string. is that true? and the fact you have less pickup and string choices is also one of the reasons for my doubts. and honestly, do you guys still play songs on 6 strings?
How are you limited on string choices, your top 6 strings can be identical to a 6 string, plus you have that 7th string giving you MORE options.

While the pickup choices might be more limited, you are loosing very little because few truly crappy pickups have 7 string models other than stocks. You can get EMGs, Duncans and BKP for plenty of tone choices.

pstol

Reaction score
I've played a variety of 7's and 6's and still enjoy my Ibanez S5470 Prestige over anything else I've touched. If you feel you need the extended range, or want to grow into it. Then by all means get a 7. If you're comfortable playing what you want to play on a 6, then don't force yourself to get a 7 because it's all the rage. I have an RG7620 with lundgren m7's that I bought for a band I was in, band died, guitar is now for sale. I still prefer my S 6-string :)

Latest posts

')