Should I Buy an Orange?

HellGamer666

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for over two years now and have some decent gear, considering. I currently own an ESP/LTD EC-1000 and an ESP/LTD MH-1000 (duncans) played through a Randall RG100G3 Plus. Now, I haven't played anywhere near as much as I used to and I was hoping that shaking things up a bit could help. My current amp is nice, but it really isn't suitable for much besides heavy "core" kinda stuff and I've been loving post-hardcore in the veins of Stolas, Dance Gavin Dance, Underoath and Save the Clocktower. To raise the money for what would (hopefully) nab me an Orange (preferably Rocker 30 or TH30 head coupled with a matching 2x12) I would have to sell one of my guitars along with the amp. Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Is it really worth having only one guitar but sounding better? If I fancy playing some metalcore or hardcore or whatever else, will the Orange be able to handle it? Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

badbrad666

Reaction score
I don't have an orange head but I have an orange 4x12 and I can't tell you how much I love it!! It completely tightened up my dual rec!
I bought it brand new so it took a bit to "break in" the speakers but they sound so good now I would recommend this cab to anyone

asfeir

Reaction score
I think you can possibly achieve what you want with an orange If you have the right pedals and a good EQ. I have an AD30 which is not at all an amp made for metal and I can get it to sound like I want with the right pedals.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
For the money most orange amps can run, I never really cared for them when it came to playing metal. For the money I'd recommend you looking into different heads, maybe a mes rectifier, evh 5150 iii, some thing along those lines. They sound great without pedals, and just an od pedal would work great if you needed a little tighter low end. An orange cab is awesome though.

rug

Reaction score
If your question is "should I buy an Orange?", the answer is always yes.

haydn

Reaction score
Orange handles the style you are after perfectly. For post-hardcore stuff (note: NOT metal) I don't think there are any better amps. When I used to play in a post-hardcore band I bought a Rockerverb 100 and have kept it around ever since because it is such a great sounding, versatile amp. Yes, it can do metalcore but it is less than ideal. You will definitely need a boost.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
My Orange 4x12 is killer, but I've downsized to a 2x12 since my band hasn't played live much lately.

HellGamer666

Reaction score
'ppreciate the feedback, guys! I'm leaning more towards something cheaper like an Orange cab with a 6505 or something. Is it worth selling my EC-1000 and Randall to pay for this thing, or am I better off saving up? I'm sixteen and don't have a job, which makes saving really difficult. I guess I'll still consider an Orange head, but it'll come down to my love of noodly post-whatever vs my love of breakdowns and brutal shit.

Crabface

Reaction score
I have the TH-30 w/ a matching Orange 2x12 (closed back). It's awesome, and definately the tightest, most modern sounding Orange that I've tried. Put a TS in front and it's easily capable of more modern types of metal. Just with a slightly thicker sound, but still very tight.
Certainly capable of what you need.

Not sure about the rocker 30, though.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
I live in Australia too and the 6505 and orange 4x12 sounds amazing. Definitely a lot cheaper then an orange stack. The 6505 and orange is so punchy, but the downside is a less than great clean channel. I run it with an OD and its great for hardcore, might need to be dialed in for post-hardcore tones (mines set for riff)

Tyler

Reaction score
imo what I would do is sell the stuff, get an evh 5153 and an orange 2x12. If you arent totally down with an evh then the dual rec should still work like a charm. Its all personal preference

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
So, I just tracked a band this weekend who play in the same post-hardcore/melodic hardcore style you were talking about, and they had this amp
AC100CP_front-db4fdadd86b4edc4fc3a08d13b9c6d22.jpg

It's a Vox AC100CPH, and let me tell you, it had a pretty awesome orange-ish tone at a fraction of the price. I'd suggest you look into it.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't vouch for anything but the 6505 but it's awesome. I run mine through a Boogie 2x12 and it kills. If I'm not mistaken both cabs use V-30's and are pretty similar in price so... :shrug:

I guess which ever cab comes up cheaper used.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i just have an orange practice rig, a micro terror on 2 1x8's. and i can tell you. this thing rocks. its insanely loud for such a little dude and i play it trough my evh 100 watt cab and i can easily do a small gig with it. huge balls for a head that only like 8 inches wide.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
imo what I would do is sell the stuff, get an evh 5153 and an orange 2x12. If you arent totally down with an evh then the dual rec should still work like a charm. Its all personal preference

Mesa's and EVH stuff is way over priced in Australia, so for the OP may be out of the price range

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
There's a few local post-hardcore bands I've seen around here that seem to favor the Line 6 Flextone and actually get some damn decent tones out of it. So there's always that. BUT, If budget calls for it, then I would definitely jump on a Budda Superdrive 80 and orange cab. Thomas from The Fall of Troy used that combination and it sounded AMAZING for him!

EDIT: The budda is assuming you have that kind of budget :lol: If not, then a dual rect or 6505+ should do you fine

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I'd worry more about the amp than the cab. Just sayin'...

The cabs look great, but get dirty quick, and the orange Tolex is not the most robust stuff out there.

Orange amps are terrific if you like the Orange sound, cuz that's all you'll get! I had a RV50, and it was a great amp. I still use the "Citrus" setting on my AxeFx ALOT for the heavier stuff.

You may want to take a look at the Root, Dark Terror, and OR15. Great amps, each with its own personality, but unmistakeable tone. A lot less than the TH, but the tones are there, and they get LOUD. I've been thinking about a head/1x12 setup for a while now...we'll see. I have too many ideas and not enough money. ;)