Should I completely ditch down strokes for alternate picking?

• Thread starter cjms1997
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Definitely not saying Hetfield didn't/doesn't alternate pick, but he's pretty well known as a downpicking machine. Some of his best riffs are crazy fast downpicking. :D
What's the best example of that? I'd be shocked if the Four Horseman verse riff was downpicked (the four note gallops)

DXL

Reaction score
What's the best example of that? I'd be shocked if the Four Horseman verse riff was downpicked (the four note gallops)

Someone mentioned Master of Puppets
I would love to see Battery fully downpicked :lol:

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Super surprised no one on here has mentioned Browne yet!

Yes, definitely practice that downpick technique :lol:

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
Downpicking and alternate picking sound different. No matter how much you practice you will never reliably replicate the sound of a downstroke on an upstroke, our wrists aren't symmetrical and our muscles don't move in exactly the same way in opposite directions. I would definitely agree with practicing both techniques as they both have their uses, and it's valuable to be able to play a particular passage through using each technique and decide between the two rather than playing it with the one you can actually do and justifying the guilt with the age-old excuse of "it sounds better".

Basically, judge via sound. Choose a technique based on which you like better sonically, rather than based on which you can actually do.

danpluso

Reaction score
I remember learning one of my first metal songs. Masters of Puppets. I had an easier time playing the second riff with alternate picking but I remember my guitar teacher telling me that all down picks were necessary to get that right sound. At the time I was also new to alternate picking, so I remember my teacher just getting me to do the alternate picking for practice.

So in metal, all down picks definitely lead to a heavier sound but of course some things are next to impossible to do all down picks. If you ever do a really heavy break down in a song, it will sound much more powerful if you do all down strums.

Now, if you are thinking in terms of lead playing, check out economy picking, which is really cool! I have always done pure alternate picking and I am now trying to nail down economy picking so I can have both tools in my tool bag. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCqwAjv1WnE

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
This is nothing that hasn't been stated already, but I agree - use what you like the sound of. I use alternate picking for efficiency and down strokes if it provides the tone I want. I find three down-strokes to be more even, percussive and in-time than if I alternate pick them. That being said, I always spend time trying to make my downstrokes faster and more efficient, and my upstrokes/alternate picking more consistent both rhythmically and in velocity. That way you just have a lot more options when writing/playing.

There's a riff/breakdown that my band wrote for our new EP at the end of a song and we just found that even though it was much more difficult, down-picking everything at that speed just really helped clarify the rhythms and keep the driving feel we wanted, especially live.

Do whatever works for you man! And don't be afraid to practice both, like I said, with the goal of closing the gap between the two.

Reaction score
Super surprised no one on here has mentioned Browne yet!

Yes, definitely practice that downpick technique :lol:

I refuse to accept that this man is human. The way he plays he looks more like an android.

As for everyone else. Thanks for all the feedback! I'll definitely begin improving my down-picking chops, because I really am terrible at it at this point. Alternate picking I'm pretty damn good though. I remember at one point it was the exact reverse :lol:.

Necropitated

Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone's bringing up John Browne, I mean yeah he's a good downpicker but watch Psycroptic's Joe Haley, he downpicks everything. Or The Black Dahlia Murder, though they are a bit slower than Psycroptic. I'm not dissing John Browne but his technique is not impossible.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Master of Puppets
I would love to see Battery fully downpicked :lol:

The four horsemen is a dave s song...it s a crazy stylish riff with the strong time on downstroke...but it s pure alternate picking...a galop !
Blackened Seattle live 89 is the best example of how crazy is Hetfield...Pure downstroke faster than the album.
The other example is Master live 86...They played at 240bpm ...220 on the album.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Whoever neg-repped me for my post, thank you for the good laugh. Someone was having a bad day... and can't read apparently.

These previous couple posts reminded me, it also goes without saying that it's helpful to practice with a combination of your own exercises you make up, and sections of songs that tackle similar parts of your playing. Don't focus too much on one exercise or you're only going to improve in an isolated area. If you practice straight down picking 8th notes, a few basic 8th note patterns, some gallop stuff etc. all at the same time you'll round out your picking technique instead of just excelling at that single exercise, you know? Oddly enough practicing these similar techniques actually contributes to that one specific thing you want to get better at. Sorry if that makes no sense haha.

This may seem obvious but logically we tend to think "I want to get better at THIS so all I'm going to practice is THIS." But trying different variations and taking breaks frequently has been shown to help your practice time immensely. Our brains are weird, man! :p

Alikingravi

Reaction score
Down stokes have their own sense of power that alternate picking cannot compensate for. Although, you need both really. When you want the riff to face-fist everything in its path then go for down strokes otherwise use alternate picking for speed riffs, both sound great in context to the song.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
The four horsemen is a dave s song...it s a crazy stylish riff with the strong time on downstroke...but it s pure alternate picking...a galop !
Blackened Seattle live 89 is the best example of how crazy is Hetfield...Pure downstroke faster than the album.
The other example is Master live 86...They played at 240bpm ...220 on the album.

It's Dave's riff, but James made it his song. Mechanix is such a ridiculous and awful song lyrically.

FantasyMetal

Reaction score
I use a mix of both. But since I mostly play power metally gallopy stuff I tend to alternate pick alot more.

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
What sucks is going from easily downpicking classic tunes like Master of Puppets as punk teenager to not being able to now.

Use it or lose it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
What kinda brush should you use to paint a scene by the lake? Probably a handful of different ones.

')