Should I completely ditch down strokes for alternate picking?

• Thread starter cjms1997
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title may be a bit misleading, but this is a serious question. For months I've been playing using nothing but alternate picking, and I've noticed that many guitarists use nothing but alternate picking, but just as many use a mix of both alternate picking and down-strokes.

So, the question. Should I dedicate my time to progressing my alternate picking chops, or should I work up my down-stroke abilities again and use a hybrid mix of the two. I can see the benefits of doing a hybrid mix of them, but I also see an advantage with doing nothing but alternate picking.

Anyone have any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
i alternate pick when i need to be efficient but I down stroke when that's the kind of sound I want even if it would be easier to alternate pick. I say learn both. why limit yourself to one technique when knowing both will make your much better.

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
I like to use a mixture of both, when possible. But when the duty calls (e.g. lead work) I wouldn't think about using downstrokes FOR A SECOND.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Personally I try to downstroke all of my rythm-parts. Sometimes that's not possible though, in that case you should use upstrokes as well in order not to gimp yourself.

You should train downpicking fast, though. There's nothing quite like the aggressive sound a downpicked note has.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
Man, I grew on up 80's Hetfield riffs as a kid.

This post is almost sacrilegious to me.

Cyn__Theia

They freak you out
Reaction score
Both. Technique is not prescriptive (or at least it doesn't have to be) or exclusive. Apply whichever picking method best suits your style and/or subjective riff/section. Picking technique can be a means to an end, not necessarily the end itself (unless that's what you're going for, it's really up to you and what you thinks feels or sounds best).

I use both quite frequently and will often try out a newly wrote riff using one or the other, then break it down and try it as a hybrid, where I best see fit. Other times I may choose down picking simply for the differentiation in the tone of the attack.

I must say that I played my first 3 or 4 months unable to grasp the concept of alternate or economy picking. Downpicked...everything. While this built up my right hand's endurance and awareness, it proved to be a gigantic inhibitor as I was playing with others at the time that could switch between both. Once I learned how to alternate pick, not only did it change my perspective on playing and writing, but also how I would envision riffs being played by other bands.

Necropitated

Reaction score
I use both. As a guideline, everything up to 220 bpm downpicking and everything above that as alternate picking. There are some exceptions. Psycroptic for example. Only downpicking which is quite a challenge but possible with the right technique and some stamina. (240bpm)

metallic1

Reaction score
No, one is the engine, the other is the transmission, and combined, they are the super 70's melting on the pavement!!,
Take it to the limit, also, when I hit a speed bump, I'll consider the drums, and think about the timing, like 1/4-1/8-1/16-1/32... If that makes any sense lol

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
My personal rule of thumb is simple... if I can downpick it without any issues with endurance or keeping time, I usually do so.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
Holy crap is Fight Fire with Fire all downstrokes? How is that even possible? :scratch:

Definitely not saying Hetfield didn't/doesn't alternate pick, but he's pretty well known as a downpicking machine. Some of his best riffs are crazy fast downpicking.

And sure, I can downpick Fight Fire with Fire. I can also play Eruption with one hand while painting with the other. :D

')