Should I get a 7 or an 8?

• Thread starter NahuPyrope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
The thing is he's not sure. Going from thin 25.5 to wide and thick 27+ is not easy. Buying an instrument you suck at playing and losing interest on is also a waste. Add in the fact that there are literally no good 8 strings under $1k. Whereas rg74xx/76xx can be found for $300-500 which I guarantee he would feel at home playing on.

Going from 25.5 to 28+ is actually fairly easy for me but, I'm really more of rhythm player. The only time I find issue on my 8 string is long stretches during sweeps on the higher strings.

And you're right, there aren't a lot of decent 8's out there for under $1000 (Unless you go with Agile but, thats too risky if you don't live in the US/Canada) BUT, I have to say that I literally do not touch my 7 string since getting my 8.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NahuPyrope

Baconator 2000
Reaction score
You all got interesting points of view

The guitar I'll buy, will stick to me for the years to come, as nobody here would buy something more than 6 strings

Also, I really think that someday, I will want an 8, if I had a 7, I would tune it to drop G#, so why not grab an 8, and tune it to drop f#?

I was thinking about the scale lenght and thickness of the neck, my first guitar was an epiphone sg, and when I went ibanez, I had to accomodate, but Im not the kind of person who if doesnt like something, just throws it away, I try until I get the feeling right, so I dont have a problem with that, any recomendations on guitars?, the schecter banshee passive is almost exactly what I want, I love hipshots and nazgul sentient, also the coil tapping is a nice option

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I think going straight to an 8 is the best idea too. I jumped from 25.5" 7 string to 29" multiscale 9 string and haven't looked back. I expected and welcomed a ton of adjustment time but actually didn't need any. The Schecter passive is the best specced large production 8 on the market imo. That 28" really goes a long way for the tone of the bottom string.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
That Schecter sounds like a good choice for you.

I went straight from 6 to 8 and was only confused for a few days. You'll be fine!

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I had a Schecter in my sights before I got my Agile. I probably would've gotten a Schecter but they didn't have passives at the time

ixlramp

Reaction score
Remember an 8 contains a 7, 2 guitars in 1. You can always mute the lowest string with a single-string mute if necessary.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Just have both! :lol::lol:

0326161740_zpsbyyldns1.jpg

Seriously though... Ever since i went to an 8... Even if i want to play something like Killswitch... I grab the 8. I force myself to use the guitar like normal to help with attack.

Good hunting!!

NahuPyrope

Baconator 2000
Reaction score
""""This is something I recently made using my 6 string and a pitch shifter, it's an original song, that I'm about to upload on my youtube channel, the tuning is supposed to be Drop G, do you think I can do it on an 8 string?""""

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→DB3 5th

I think going straight to an 8 is the best idea too. I jumped from 25.5" 7 string to 29" multiscale 9 string and haven't looked back. I expected and welcomed a ton of adjustment time but actually didn't need any. The Schecter passive is the best specced large production 8 on the market imo. That 28" really goes a long way for the tone of the bottom string.

I forgot to also say that I play bass, I don't know which one is it, as it's an unknown brand, this one with 5 strings:

Vendo Bajo Hard - $ 4.500,00 en MercadoLibre

That Schecter sounds like a good choice for you.

I went straight from 6 to 8 and was only confused for a few days. You'll be fine!

Thanks dude!, I'll be!

I had a Schecter in my sights before I got my Agile. I probably would've gotten a Schecter but they didn't have passives at the time

I can't stand actives haha

Remember an 8 contains a 7, 2 guitars in 1. You can always mute the lowest string with a single-string mute if necessary.

Does that exist?

Just have both! :lol::lol:

0326161740_zpsbyyldns1.jpg

Seriously though... Ever since i went to an 8... Even if i want to play something like Killswitch... I grab the 8. I force myself to use the guitar like normal to help with attack.

Good hunting!!

I would die to have the 2 of them, but can't, can only have one

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually don't have one, but I got offered a banshee 8 for 650$

Too bad you're abroad. I have a perfect condition Jackson 8 for sale in the classified section here for only $400 but can't deal with the International shipping headaches. I've tried in the past and won't do it again. :(

Rev.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Get an eight. If you don't use all of that range, I say "so what?" If you use it one time, you just did something you could not have done without the added range, plus, if you make it big and end up riding one string all of the time, we can start numerous threads about you here. :lol:

This!
Do you play a 6 and worry if you don't use the high E once in a song?:)

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
I would ask yourself how important it is to you to have some form of tremolo bridge, if you use a tremolo or want or need one, then I would suggest getting a seven string guitar, it's next to impossible to buy a stock eight string guitar with a tremolo bridge, they do exist but there are not many of them around I can only think of Schecter off the top of my head that make an eight string with a tremolo bridge, so unless you are willing to go down the very very expensive custom route and get a custom bridge made. If you don't need or want a tremolo bridge I would go for an eight string, if I couldn't afford to buy both, or I would buy the eight string first, and save up for a seven string, for me the best solution would be to get both the seven and eight string.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
OP's second post in this thread mentioned two fixed bridge guitars that were taking his interest.

OP's third post mentioned "The schecter banshee passive is almost exactly what I want, I love hipshots".

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
OP's second post in this thread mentioned two fixed bridge guitars that were taking his interest.

OP's third post mentioned "The schecter banshee passive is almost exactly what I want, I love hipshots".

For some reason you like following me round and trolling me, is your life really that sad and pathetic?

Yes in post 22 the O.P. mentioned he loved the hipshot bridge, he also mentioned in his original post that he has an Ibanez s570dxqm, which has a tremolo bridge on it, and he said that it was a nice guitar and that he liked it.

Then in post number 28 he opens the post with this statement,

''""""This is something I recently made using my 6 string and a pitch shifter, it's an original song, that I'm about to upload on my youtube channel, the tuning is supposed to be Drop G, do you think I can do it on an 8 string?""""

If he had a floyd Rose bridge he wouldn't of needed to use a pitch shifter pedal, another reason why I asked whether or not he was sure he didn't want or need a tremolo bridge.

The O.P. was asking for suggestions, I asked him how sure he was about wanting a guitar without a tremolo bridge, that's hardly unreasonable given the O.P.'s posts and currents guitar.

I asked a question and offered advice, which is far more than you have contributed to this thread, and quite a few of the other threads that you feel the need to troll me in.

Maybe you should run along to bed and let the grown up engage in non aggressive dialogue, until you can learn to interact in a civilized manner, instead of behaving like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum for attention.

In short, grow up.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
I read a lot more threads on here than I care to respond to. Sometimes, those threads have your posts in. Sometimes your posts are complete bollocks. When they are, I feel compelled to respond. Partially that is because I don't like you based on past encounters. Partially that is because when you're talking bollocks I don't want other people to blindly believe it and repeat that bollocks to others.

That would be less common, if you didn't clearly fail to read the vast majority of threads you post in, or at least simply got things wrong less often.

For example, you literally just defended your tremolo comments to OP, by saying he wouldn't need a pitch shifter if he had a Tremolo. In the same post you pointed out that his present guitar HAS A TREMOLO.

Clearly, the presence of a tremolo on his existing guitar, didn't stop him from needing a pitch shifter here, did it?

In fact, he mentions "The tuning is supposed to be drop G".

So I read that, and to me that means he just pitched the whole guitar down to "demo" the sound of a lower tuning. Not for a whammy effect, just transposing the whole part.

Upon opening the clip just now... yup. That's exactly what he's done.

I'm not the only one who likes pointing out when you've failed to read (or listen to) what you're responding to - I've seen CaptainD00m throw a couple of similar barbs your way, and some others too.

It's almost as if the problem is you...

NahuPyrope

Baconator 2000
Reaction score
I would ask yourself how important it is to you to have some form of tremolo bridge, if you use a tremolo or want or need one, then I would suggest getting a seven string guitar, it's next to impossible to buy a stock eight string guitar with a tremolo bridge, they do exist but there are not many of them around I can only think of Schecter off the top of my head that make an eight string with a tremolo bridge, so unless you are willing to go down the very very expensive custom route and get a custom bridge made. If you don't need or want a tremolo bridge I would go for an eight string, if I couldn't afford to buy both, or I would buy the eight string first, and save up for a seven string, for me the best solution would be to get both the seven and eight string.

Hallo, I would prefer to stay away from tremolo's, tho I like them, It's a pain in the ass to change tunings, and when I want to use an open tuning, I have to always bring the allen keys and ARGHH... No please haha!

TripperJ

Reaction score
I read a lot more threads on here than I care to respond to. Sometimes, those threads have your posts in. Sometimes your posts are complete bollocks. When they are, I feel compelled to respond. Partially that is because I don't like you based on past encounters. Partially that is because when you're talking bollocks I don't want other people to blindly believe it and repeat that bollocks to others.

That would be less common, if you didn't clearly fail to read the vast majority of threads you post in, or at least simply got things wrong less often.

For example, you literally just defended your tremolo comments to OP, by saying he wouldn't need a pitch shifter if he had a Tremolo. In the same post you pointed out that his present guitar HAS A TREMOLO.

Clearly, the presence of a tremolo on his existing guitar, didn't stop him from needing a pitch shifter here, did it?

In fact, he mentions "The tuning is supposed to be drop G".

So I read that, and to me that means he just pitched the whole guitar down to "demo" the sound of a lower tuning. Not for a whammy effect, just transposing the whole part.

Upon opening the clip just now... yup. That's exactly what he's done.

I'm not the only one who likes pointing out when you've failed to read (or listen to) what you're responding to - I've seen CaptainD00m throw a couple of similar barbs your way, and some others too.

It's almost as if the problem is you...
Dude, he was just saying that if the Op liked guitars with trems, he should to go towards a seven cuz there easier to find, based on a a post saying he liked a guitar with a trem. The Op was pitch shifting a 6 to drop tuned 7 or an 8 in standard territory. If the Op got a 7 with a trem he could just down tune it to play his .... instead of pitch shifting making his music easier to play w/ less equipment. Don't be a dick for no reason, the tread is about the Op not you petty squabbles with MajorTom.

To the Op I think an 8 is the way to go and it seems like you are going towards the Schecter. :yesway: Go for it!

Latest posts

')