Should I get a RG8?

Matt1the3Beast

Reaction score
So about two years ago (I have been playing guitar for 4 years) I bought a Schecter Omen 8 just for the sake of having an eight string. I used it a little bit but for the most part it has just been sitting its case. Recently I have really been getting into Animals as Leaders and Periphery so I decided to use it again. But I realized it is probably the worst guitar I have ever played. The neck is too rounded, you cannot access high frets (22-24) and it sounds TERRIBLE. Overall I hate the "feel" of this guitar and it makes me cringe just thinking about it. :wallbash:So instead of just buying amazing pickups for this piece of junk, I think I am going to buy a new guitar. My question is; should I buy an Ibanez RG8 with expensive pickups, or is their anything better for under $700?

Also what pickups should I get if I do buy an RG8? I want a pickup that can deliver tight periphery-esque rythym while maintaining note definition at high gain (to play chords at high gain) and can still deliver a beautiful clean tone. (Maybe Bkps or Ionizers?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
gladiator-thumbs-up-o.gif

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
RG8 + Lace = :wub:

After recently deciding to give Seymour Duncan a try in general I also agree with SD suggestion... They make some really good pickups.

haffner1

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I played one and it sucked, but that was the only one I have looked at. My cheaper Agile has better construction and finish.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I've been playing my new one for the past half hour and if you have it set up right, it plays absolutely amazing, especially given the price. A pickup swap is probably a good shout though. I've been thinking of getting a set of DiMarzio Ionisers.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Get one for sure. Just make sure you play at least 2 or 3 of them just so you don't get a lemon

Matt1the3Beast

Reaction score
Are there any bareknuckle pickups that can provide amazing cleans and a good "djent tone" with the rg8?

Broken_Hyren

Reaction score
I have an RG8 and I love the feel of it! Despite being an 8 it still FEELS sleek.

The headstock is nice too.

The impression I get when I look at stuff like the Omen is that it looks HUGE and the problem you mention about higher fret access makes sense!

HOWEVER, the RG8 doesn't feel like it has much sustain/resonance in the BODY/bridge of the guitar. The neck is AMAZING and feels GREAT to me (however I haven't played many high end guitars or anything). I wonder if that would be something you'd be able to remedy with a higher quality bridge.

Still overall, amazing. Looks great, I am just impressed/amazed with how cheap these things are.

')