Should I Get An 8 or Downtune a 7?

• Thread starter ghostOG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I'd go for downtuned 7, something about using less is more in creative things is working out for me very well and I enjoy that way more. I went from an ibanez m80m 8 string back to a harley benton 6 string for that reason aswell.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B

Reaction score
Get the ibanez 6 string 28' baritone for E. You don't have to relearn anything and start riffing in super low...
Plus you have emg 81 active.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I had an 8, sold it, bought a baritone 7 and tuned it to f#. Sold it, bought an 8. At least with the 8, if money is an issue, you get standard 6 string tuning, plus 7 and 8 string tunings all in one guitar. A downtuned 7, you will always be playing in lower registers. Kinda lame if you wanna jam with friends and nobody else has a downtuned 7 tuned the way you do. With the 8 it's not really an issue.

iamaom

Reaction score
I had an 8, sold it, bought a baritone 7 and tuned it to f#. Sold it, bought an 8. At least with the 8, if money is an issue, you get standard 6 string tuning, plus 7 and 8 string tunings all in one guitar. A downtuned 7, you will always be playing in lower registers. Kinda lame if you wanna jam with friends and nobody else has a downtuned 7 tuned the way you do. With the 8 it's not really an issue.
I mean you can own more than one guitar, if money is REALLY an issue you could just pick up an Ibanez Gio or something.

buck fever

Reaction score
I moved to an 8, and then sold it a month later feeling more convinced than ever that I’m meant to play a downtuned 7. I prefer a 27” scale, and that does it for me. I found that the chord shapes with the 8 didn’t work for me, and it muddied up my tone.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I mean you can own more than one guitar, if money is REALLY an issue you could just pick up an Ibanez Gio or something.
Well yea, but the OP isn't purchasing 2 guitars he's purchasing one. He probably has a six already, but it's most likely downtuned :hbang:

bmth4111

Reaction score

Such a huge advantage over downtuned 7s. The reason why I got the eight! So many possibilities.

And to the op get the 8 and have best of both worlds.