Should I get an Agile Interceptor?

• Thread starter lunaris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lunaris

Reaction score
Hi all,

(Apologies for the terrible thread title)

I'm in the US for a few months and just got my priorities in order. Consequently the first thing I plan to do is to spend as much money on guitars that are hard to source where I come from (the UK). I've had my Loomis for just over a year now and can't go back to 6-strings or 25.5" scale guitars. I am therefore looking at one of these beauties:

Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Black Flame

Questions:

1. I've done a lot of reading/watching videos and Agiles generally get good press. However there are some posts which state that I'll be needing my warranty, even if I order with a hardshell case. Can anyone comment on this?

2. Are there any other comparable options (27"+, 7 strings, floating tremolo) that aren't customs? I'm flexible on price but can't afford to wait several months.

Thanks for any advice,
lunaris

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Well, Bernie Rico Jr. has a finished Jekyl 727 for $2,700 ready to ship on his site. There are always prestige Ibanez's or ESP's, US made Jackson 7's... It depends on what you want to spend. I mentioned the Rico mainly because you said you couldn't wait and it's ready to be shipped. And I love Rico's. lol Aside from that, a lot of the guys basically have stated they see Agile's as a mid-level instrument. If you're looking for something you can't find outside the US, try craigslist or eBay and see what you come up with there. A used High level axe is always better than a lesser grade axe. I wouldn't just go for the Agile until you have weighed all your options. :) That's just my :2c:. Unless you really want the Agile. lol

Trembulant

Rebel Extravaganza
Reaction score
A used High level axe is always better than a lesser grade axe.

Sometimes..sure, but "better" is subjective.
It's not better if it doesn't have the specs you like. Most important is specs and initial wood work and functionality of the layout - everything else can be "graded" to what you exactly want. If you don't like the way it feels or plays it's not "Better" at all. If a 2700 dollar axe is built to perfection for what it is, but doesn't play or feel good to you, it's not worth anything but what your able to get in resale, lol. Only real way to tell is to play things, or at least shoot for the closest specs to your liking - not so much the brand or price range. Change whatever later if you have too. Even if turns out it's a 400 dollar guitar with a plywood body imo. Ricos are sick guitars- but i don't like them with the standard specs pre built (fingerboard radius, control positions) so unless i got a full custom it wouldn't be worth anything more than i could sell it for.
Agiles look great, some people have complained of fretwork -can be fixed if you love everything else about it. I would say besides the frets (i would put stainless 6100 Jumbo frets on it) and i would take an agile over a prebuilt Rico and pay a much less and have a guitar that plays better (for me) and sounds just as great.
That said i'd rather just get a full custom cause nothing out there appeals to me or is a compromise in some way.
If i were into compromise an agile would be near the top of my list.
The main thing is i've read the frets may be more of a medium jumbo than a true extra jumbo fret - so if that would bother you at all, you might look into that and decide if it's a problem or not and weather it's worth it to change that if you would so need.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Sometimes..sure, but "better" is subjective.
It's not better if it doesn't have the specs you like. Most important is specs and initial wood work and functionality of the layout - everything else can be "graded" to what you exactly want. If you don't like the way it feels or plays it's not "Better" at all. If a 2700 dollar axe is built to perfection for what it is, but doesn't play or feel good to you, it's not worth anything but what your able to get in resale, lol. Only real way to tell is to play things, or at least shoot for the closest specs to your liking - not so much the brand or price range. Change whatever later if you have too. Even if turns out it's a 400 dollar guitar with a plywood body imo. Ricos are sick guitars- but i don't like them with the standard specs pre built (fingerboard radius, control positions) so unless i got a full custom it wouldn't be worth anything more than i could sell it for.
Agiles look great, some people have complained of fretwork -can be fixed if you love everything else about it. I would say besides the frets (i would put stainless 6100 Jumbo frets on it) and i would take an agile over a prebuilt Rico and pay a much less and have a guitar that plays better (for me) and sounds just as great.
That said i'd rather just get a full custom cause nothing out there appeals to me or is a compromise in some way.
If i were into compromise an agile would be near the top of my list.
The main thing is i've read the frets may be more of a medium jumbo than a true extra jumbo fret - so if that would bother you at all, you might look into that and decide if it's a problem or not and weather it's worth it to change that if you would so need.

I just meant for him to look at every possible option while he is here in the US. He may see something used he's wanted forever but couldn't find or something like that. There are alot of options he could navigate that may not be open to him in the UK. :)

lunaris

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm aware that Agiles are mid-range but short of going custom I can't find any options that fit my bill (27", FR, 7). The closest I can see is the Schecter Damien Elite, but since I've already got the Loomis it seems kind of pointless. (Cue flames)

The Jekyll is lovely but I can't settle for it after seeing the indigo quilted one posted here. (I believe it's currently for trade/sale at http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gu...e-rico-jr-jekyll-727-indigo-quilt-feeler.html but it's expensive and I'm not sure whether or not the scale is something I could return to).

I guess I'll keep looking -- thanks again,
lunaris

')