Should I go fretless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillNephew

Reaction score
Personally, I love playing fretless. It just opens up a world of possibilities with dynamics and improving your sound. I have a MiM Fender Precision bass I converted to fretless, and even the rosewood fretboard sounds good! I know a company called Rondo Music sells a fretless for ~$150 I think. Check them out if you want a fretless. Before though, I would recommend playing a fretless and seeing if you like the feel of it. Good luck :)

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I'd recommend if you do decide to go fretless you either start on a bass with fret lines or if your board is blank mark the position of the frets on the side of your fretboard with a pencil until you get comfortable, eventually you won't need them but in the beginning they can help.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should go fretless or not.Basically um that's it.

I need to know more before I can make an informed recommendation. How long have you been playing? What genres do you play? How's your ear for pitch? How's your technique? What's your rig?

Having said that, I went fretless about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. Don't even own a fretted bass these days. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
Well it will help increase your ear training and practice effectiveness due to how "touchy" a fretless can be.

Although playing live with one can end terribly if you are not absolutely on your game.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
IDD, for training, absolutely.

It depends on what music you will be playing. It will also widen your sound in music, so if that's what you're looking, do it!

mortality

Reaction score
I need to know more before I can make an informed recommendation. How long have you been playing? What genres do you play? How's your ear for pitch? How's your technique? What's your rig?

Having said that, I went fretless about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. Don't even own a fretted bass these days. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

About two years, death metal and progressive metal, decent (can name chords), ummm.... up to sixteenth notes at 200 bpm for speed and tapping/arpeggios/walking bass i know, and just a 200W Acoustic .

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
About two years, death metal and progressive metal, decent (can name chords), ummm.... up to sixteenth notes at 200 bpm for speed and tapping/arpeggios/walking bass i know, and just a 200W Acoustic .

Yeah, do it. Sounds like you think you're better than I thought I was when I got the frets off my four-string. You'll be playing Obscura in no time.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
I played freted bass up until I heardbands like Pestilence, Cynic,and Obscura. I had no desire to learn fretless prior hearing those bands because I thought it wasn't usable in metal . I have since bought a fretless brice 6-string and I love it and im planing on defreting my PBC custom 5-string and getting many more fretlesses in the future,Im in love with fretless now its so sick sounding. When I found out you can still do tapping I was sold.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You can do anything on a fretless! Anything at all! The only limit is yourself!

Anything is possible with a fretless! You can do anything on a fretless! The infinite is possible with a fretless! The unattainable is unknown with a fretless!

...brought to you by zombocom.

Latest posts