Should I Go Straight To 8 String?

• Thread starter Spence
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have seen a few 8 strings floating around for reasonable prices, having played an rga8 a few times i was left feeling quite dissamointed by the pickups and fairly narrow string spacing

I am into a few bands that use 8's , such as Meshuggah, Animals as leaders, Chimp spanner etc, and am starting to write my own material, and having played quite a few 7 strings am confident i would be able to use an 8 to its full potential

I knoticed on here there is a 30" inch scale agile for sale, has anyone here gone from standard scale 6 strings to extended scale 8's , and what have your experiances been?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing to be wary of is the change in scale length and the width of the neck. A 30" scale 8 string guitar is going to be a very different animal compared to a six. If possible I'd head into a couple of guitar stores and try out a couple of 8's to see how they feel. Check out a couple of different scale lengths and see what's comfortable to play.

Spence

Reaction score
yeah i have played a gretsch 6 string bass, which was basically like a standard guitar tuned an octave down, which happened to have a 30" scale length

although it felt didnt really know what to do with it, it was more a question of the instrument itself, the scale length was not an issue at all

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Go straight for the 8 string. You're either going to stick with it and learn to use it or you're not, regardless of playing a 7 for a while.

Dayn

Reaction score
I went from a 25.5" six to a 27" eight. It was no problem, my hands just needed to adjust to the new positions, as you would with any new instrument. I can't say anything else, because it was that uneventful.

UnderTone

In Absentia
Reaction score
I went from a regular six to 28.625" scale and it took a couple days to get back into the groove of things but was fine. I wouldn't buy another 6 stringer again.

sell2792

Reaction score
I was never bothered by the change in scale length, just by the extra strings and a wider neck. It really just seems like a matter of getting used to it and adjusting, but being as I don't own one and am looking to go to a 27 or so inch 7 or 8 string from a 6, owning and being able to play it all the time will help.

dkannen

Reaction score
I guess what I meant is that anyone going from an epiphone les Paul to an 8 string would shit bricks... Lol

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, if you can handle the scale length, go for it. I sincerely doubt that you'd regret it.

jdpogan

Reaction score
I played a 7 for about 2 months before i got my 8, it definitely helped immensely but I'm sure with enough practice on the 8 straight from the 6 it will be fine.

mot666

raining bullets
Reaction score
i went from a 6 string emperador les paul lookalike to a broken headstock. that was years ago. then i bought an rg2228 last year. its almost been like learning to play again due to the long break, BUT ive had no problems with it being on an eight... picking up a six string feels like holding a matchstick now.

')