Should I mix V30's and Seventy 80's?

• Thread starter Vrollin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
If it's an RC series it's USA made and all void free Baltic Birch. They are just as good as most Mesa or Marshall cabs. I have one and it's built like a tank. But I have a Neo cab. It only weighs about 40lbs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bloodnail

Reaction score
Not sure on that one though.I say if its birch and it WOR h upgrading to you then do it.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Dunno if it's the American made one, it's not very heavy, well at least I don't think it is,havnt really moved a cab apart from this one for a while so can't compare, I remember my Ashton 4x12 being heavier. Mind you, for a cheap cab with rocket 50s that Ashton cab performed quite well, go figure...

Vrollin

Reaction score
This thread has turned out to be more informative than I had initially hoped!

Are there any sites other than flea bay that you guys could recommend for buying second hand speakers from? Wouldn't mind chasing down some of the uk made v30s....

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Thanks again mate, I'll check what the model number is if it's on the back when I get home from work. Pretty sure it wasn't MDF though, opened the back when I got it to have a peek inside and from memory there was wood grain inside.
Not looking to spend bulk on a new 4x12. I only went the 4x12 as I picked it up for $100 so don't mind making a minor upgrade if it yields some benefits.
I've also emailed a custom cab maker in Australia to see what they would charge for an orange style 2x12 cab, they claim to be able to do it cheap. See what happens there.

Who is this custom cab maker?

Vrollin

Reaction score
Who is this custom cab maker?

I just hit up these guys thespeakerfactory.com.au, theyre on holiday at the moment though so didnt get a quote back yet.
Google guitar cabinet makers and search only in Australia, brings up a few!

Vrollin

Reaction score
Ok so this is the inside of my cab;
DSC02739.jpg

Any thing I could do to improve the construction of the cab? I dont mind hooking into the power tools and having a play around with things....

In the mean time while I figure out what to do Im also having a play around with castors on or off and probably chuck some extra wadding I have kicking around down the bottom too. Just a couple of free and reversable things to try.

Now given what I have read here, and from off a another random google search where someone mixed 30s and k100s, going v30s first might produce too much in the mid range, while the k100s are from my understanding a little more forgiving in the mid range. So now I think im leaning more towards k100's first....? Plus mick thompson uses them so thats cool in my books!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
K100's are super punchy. Have really tight low end and don't distort as soon as v30's. Less cone cry means you'll be able to turn up without the cones compressing as much. Just more headroom. It's basically a 100 watt g12t-75. But they sound bigger.

The cab doesn't look American. Looks like birch ply around the sides and an MDF baffle. It's better construction than most Marshall 412's. But I'm biased. I never met a Marshall cab I liked. I'm also not a fan of v30's.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Def not american, the made in china sticker confirms at least that much about it :p The front and rear baffles are actually ply, can also confirm that, does have chip or particle board corner bits and bracing.
Just put it back together, left the poly fill out for now, seems to have a bit more low end on the ground, currently sitting on carpet thats on a concrete slab and thats pretty much where it will always sit till I move house :p
Im on the verge of pulling the plug on some k100s.....

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
I would ditch the 70/80s all together and get new speakers.
Right now in my cab i have k-100's and T-75's in X pattern and love it.
I would probably recommend k-100's and V30's as the K-100s are very similar to the 75's, but the 75's have a bit more high end sizzle to them.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Yeah the plan is eventually to replace them all, just doing a pair at a time :)

Vrollin

Reaction score
Going to make a couple of phone calls tomorrow and hopefully by the and of the week I'll be seeing if k100s mix with 70 80s for the time being :) yup after all that I think I've sold myself on the k100s first. This is as hard as deciding which pickups to buy, they'll always be better than the cheapies but are they the best for you?

Vrollin

Reaction score
After all that, just placed an order on the G12K-100's :) no idea when they will get here, hopefully before I have to go field for a couple weeks other wise i'll be waiting a month untill I can slap them in the cab and have a fiddle!

Vrollin

Reaction score
After all that, just placed an order on the G12K-100's :) no idea when they will get here, hopefully before I have to go field for a couple weeks other wise i'll be waiting a month untill I can slap them in the cab and have a fiddle!

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
As far as low end, that cab has a massive amount of low end when a band drug it in for recording. V30s would be good to settle out the mids that the seventy80 has, but I would take almost any speaker over the seventy80.

Look at wharehouse speakers.

Shotgun

Reaction score
I use EVM12L with V30. It is the greatest thing I have ever heard.

Very cool combination with V30:
-Eminence Legend V12
-Celestion K100
-Celestion Creamback

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I see you ordered already, but I say sure you can mix them.

First off, the V30 should be louder than the 70/80 (better sensitivity rating) so it will be more prominent in mix

Secondly, typically you only mic one speaker, so even one V30 can make a huge difference at a gig, just mic that speaker.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Just picked up the k100's today and dropped those bad boys in!
Havnt had much of a chance to mess with them yet, or get some volume out of the setup as its night time now, but so far they are awesome! Putting my ear to the old seventy 80 and then to the k100 is like day and night, its listening through a pillow vs a nice bright full speaker. Overall so far the best way to describe it is as though someone installed a presence knob on the amp and tightened up the low end, especially noticeable on the cleans. Very keen to get rid of the last to seventy 80s and get some V30s in there now!

DSC02743.jpg

Packaged well!
DSC02746.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

New vs old
DSC02752.jpg

All wired up!
DSC02754.jpg

sefloval

Reaction score
Because of this thread I checked my local CL and found an old Crate 1x12 combo amp that had a Celestion G12K-85 in it. Got it for $40. It's going into my Avatar 2X12 mixed with a Vintage 30 and can't wait to install it and try it out! the K85 will be replacing the G12H-30 currently in the cab which just seems to be a muddy mess at higher volumes.
Great thread and congrats on the new K-100's!

Vrollin

Reaction score
How did you go with the speaker swap sefloval? Keen to hear your opinion!

To anyone following, I've noticed that the G12K's has a much lower to completely reduced level of fizz when compared to the 70/80s, and I am very close to pulling the trigger on either another pair of G12K's or the V30s, however Im reading mixed responce about the V30s and fizz in the top end. Can anyone shed some light on their experiences with v30s and whether or not there is a presence of fizz?
To be difficult, interested in the WGS Veteran 30s also.....

Cheers again all!

')