Should I mix V30's and Seventy 80's?

• Thread starter Vrollin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
How did you go with the speaker swap sefloval? Keen to hear your opinion!

To anyone following, I've noticed that the G12K's has a much lower to completely reduced level of fizz when compared to the 70/80s, and I am very close to pulling the trigger on either another pair of G12K's or the V30s, however Im reading mixed responce about the V30s and fizz in the top end. Can anyone shed some light on their experiences with v30s and whether or not there is a presence of fizz?
To be difficult, interested in the WGS Veteran 30s also.....

Cheers again all!

The mixed response might be based on what people are using before the speaker; amp, pickup, guitar... you know, the usual. If you want to avoid that issue all together, skip the V30 and go for the Vet 30s or an Eminence Governor.

As for modding the cabinet in other ways, you can try -- and may get slight or vast improvements -- from using thicker/better wire to wire the cab up with as well as caulking the cabinet to seal it. Also, you may or may not want to plug the port at the bottom of the front panel. I'd use something you can temporary plug it up with to see if you like it or not before you make it a permanent modification.

Lastly, if you're really adventurous, you can try removing the middle plank between the speakers that goes from the front panel to the back panel for something a little more usual like a post. However, I dunno how the plank is attached and how difficult/useful this particular modification would be and whether or not the differences will be worth the effort.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vrollin

Reaction score
The mixed response might be based on what people are using before the speaker; amp, pickup, guitar... you know, the usual. If you want to avoid that issue all together, skip the V30 and go for the Vet 30s or an Eminence Governor.

As for modding the cabinet in other ways, you can try -- and may get slight or vast improvements -- from using thicker/better wire to wire the cab up with as well as caulking the cabinet to seal it. Also, you may or may not want to plug the port at the bottom of the front panel. I'd use something you can temporary plug it up with to see if you like it or not before you make it a permanent modification.

Lastly, if you're really adventurous, you can try removing the middle plank between the speakers that goes from the front panel to the back panel for something a little more usual like a post. However, I dunno how the plank is attached and how difficult/useful this particular modification would be and whether or not the differences will be worth the effort.

Cheers for the tips! Ive been checking out all the comparison vids on youtube, every video is so bloody different though, in one a particular speaker sounds better and in another its not as good as the other.... This is as hard as deciding pickups, you know its going to be better that what you have but is it the right one for you....?

Reckon I will try sealing up that port to see what happens, Ill just use a small cut of wood and make a foam gasket to seal it, will just screw it in place, already bought myself some sika to seal up the box but bailed when I realised it had the port on the front of it. Was looking at that bracing and thinking its one area it could be improved on.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
To be difficult, interested in the WGS Veteran 30s also.....
Retro 30 is probably what you are looking at, it is closer to the actual V30.

Eminence Governors are the bomb too. They are a little less spikey than Celestion V30 and bigger sounding overall.

Edit: Govs have a lot less breakup than V30... I think the blend of V30 breakup in the midrange is part of what makes the G12K/V30 pair so awesome.

I'd go with either Made-in-USA speaker over Chinese V30 at like $125/ea.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Remember you can also order V30 or C90 directly from Mesa if you want a UK-made version.
$129 last I checked. Mesa Hollywood does free shipping on some stuff IIRC.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Remember you can also order V30 or C90 directly from Mesa if you want a UK-made version.
$129 last I checked. Mesa Hollywood does free shipping on some stuff IIRC.

Definitely this if a Chinese V30 or American Vet/Retro 30 or Governor aren't your thing.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the UK V30s, but I had jumped the gun and bought some V30s before i read it, IDIOT! Oh well, is what it is!
V30s arrived today and now I have completed the speaker swap! I have a wicked cold at the moment so my hearing has been shot for well over a week so I can't even explain what the difference is im hearing as I cant hear anything properly right now. Does sound a lot clearer though I can tell that much, I just want to give them a massive cranking but cant do that where I live :(
DSC02757.jpg

bloodnail

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't had time to talk to you more about this but it seems you got it under control now.the amp you use does play a big part and I was using a 5150 and my cab was all birch which I see yours is not plus I didn't have the port in mine.when you feel better play the shit out of it and enjoy.

Vrollin

Reaction score
All good mate, Im finding more and more that I want to get that sweet tube distortion but I really cant do that with an actual tube head, wouldnt be able to get it loud enough for the tube to do their thing. Starting to think about modelling amps and what not but the good stuff is very expensive and Im not sure what is good and what is crap etc....

It would be interesting to know what the cab is made out of if it is not birch....

bloodnail

Reaction score
now that i see it on my actual computer it does look like its constructed of some form of ply but i dont know of what kind but the majority of the the bracing looks like particle board but if it sounds good to you it doesn't matter.also what amp are you using?is that a randall rh200?

Vrollin

Reaction score
Its 110 percent constructed of ply front back top bottom and sides. Only non ply is that brace and the corner bits.
Yup RH200, its ok but, fantastic cleans, distortion could have a little more something to it, I dunno what, I just cant put my finger on it...

bloodnail

Reaction score
Yea I noticed that,still a good cab though. The rh200 is an awesome head I don't care what anyone says.I used it to record my first ep.my settings were everything at noon or slightly off of that boosted with a boss sd-1 worked great for me and that was running through a celestion k-85 witch is the same as a k-100.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I tired the boosted thing, but it was just a horrible mess, I just for the life of me couldnt work it out. Tried it with an SD-1, MT2 and Fullbore, I think I would need someone to actually show me where the settings should be for it to work etc etc...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I tired the boosted thing, but it was just a horrible mess, I just for the life of me couldnt work it out. Tried it with an SD-1, MT2 and Fullbore, I think I would need someone to actually show me where the settings should be for it to work etc etc...

For overdrive pedals like the SD-1, TS9, etc. the knobs should be Level - 10, drive - 0, and tone set to taste. Haven't tried using an MT2 for a boost, so couldn't tell ya.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Earlier on it was brought up that such mods to a cab would be worthless as the resale value wouldn't be worth it. Bought the cab for $100, just sold the seventy 80's for $150, so made a $50 profit and still have the cab, so right now the cab itself owes me nothing, cheering!

bloodnail

Reaction score
That's cool you got that much out of them but I let mine go for $25 bucks cause I got tired of them laying around.as for using a boost set it up like Ace said as a clean boost.I personally didn't think the red channel needed a boost but the other gain channel did because it was more old school flavored.the contour control on that head makes or breaks it so find the sweet spot on it and set everything else to taste.

Vrollin

Reaction score
That bloody contour knob, I swear every time I turn it on my ears tell me it needs to move, Ill have it sweet, then next time I play Im like nahhh move it....

')