Should I Replace Tubes?

• Thread starter jlagoon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlagoon

Reaction score
Hi folks:

My band and I are going to record an EP in May. I was wondering, if I should replace the tubes in my TriAxis and VHT2502.

The tubes in both units have been used for about two years, at least 200 hours total roughly.

I think, the preamp tubes are fine. What I have started to notice is a short random crackling sound, when I don't play--it doesn't happen all the time though. Maybe 5 out of 10.

I haven't noticed any muddiness and drop in volume. Maybe slightly, if there is any.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
replacea the power ampt ubes.

the crackling may be cables among other things. keep the old power tubes as spares :)

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Id personally replace them all a few weeks in advance (so like now lol) and run em pretty hard a few times, break em in a bit, and then use em for the recording.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
order a full new set, then just replace the power tubes, and see how it sounds. power tubes last about a year with heavy use. pre-amp tubes last longer, since they aren't hit with so much voltage all the time. if you want, put in new preamp tubes after trying it with the new power tubes to see if they need replaced as well.

if they don't, well, then you've got backups. win-win :yesway:

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Id personally replace them all a few weeks in advance (so like now lol) and run em pretty hard a few times, break em in a bit, and then use em for the recording.

Aye, I've found you get to the true character of a powertube only after beating it like a blind mule for about 10hrs or so.( not straight, obviously)

Latest posts

')