Should I return this Indonesian Boden Original 7?

• Thread starter surge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think @eclecto-acoustic is correct. I was told by the tech who did mine that it was easier to just do it by hand since they were SS and multiscale. Not sure if you cannot program the machine to do that or if my tech just didn't want to lol but worked out all the same.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I’ve had two Strandbergs. One was purchased new and had too many problems to list here, I sold after a few months. The other was purchased used from a reputable vendor, it is one of my favorite guitars. I think they must have spent time sorting it all out.

Yelir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's refreshing to hear these comments, I had strandberg on blast to purchase an 8 string, but I think the color options are awful. I'm purchasing in Canada so it's crucial to find a reasonable deal for my weak dollar.

eclecto-acoustic

"That" guy.
Reaction score
It's refreshing to hear these comments, I had strandberg on blast to purchase an 8 string, but I think the color options are awful. I'm purchasing in Canada so it's crucial to find a reasonable deal for my weak dollar.

FWIW, I am looking at Guitar Brando in Alberta and Musique Max in Quebec as Canadian dealers. Standard 6s are around $2250.

Yelir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FWIW, I am looking at Guitar Brando in Alberta and Musique Max in Quebec as Canadian dealers. Standard 6s are around $2250.
I've seen Boden 8 models on the strandberg refurb for just over $1900, but have no idea what VAT would charge upon delivery? Guitar Brando has the similar model for $2525 + tax. I'd like to check that shop in person one day, it might be the only other store to rival Stang Guitars.

I have all my childhood dream guitars and a few vintage pieces, I'm only really interested in 7/8 string at the moment. :agreed:

surge

Reaction score
So I got a replacement today. No finish issues on the body like the last one, no polish issues on the frets, but the frets are again not level out of the box.
I set the proper neck relief to 0.010" (capo on 1st fret, 24th fret held down, measured at 7th fret on bass side) and went to work with a Stew Mac fret rocker.
There are even more problem areas on this one compared to the last one, and when playing, there's buzzing all over the neck. Sigh. I think this is it for me...I'm ready to give up at this point. I tagged Ola Strandberg on Instagram but he was like more or less "stop tagging me go yell at Guitar Center" lol. To be fair, I am annoying, I will own that :D But yeah, $2300...totally unacceptable quality, in my opinion.

eclecto-acoustic

"That" guy.
Reaction score
Oh man...a replacement coming with worse issues (of the same friggin type!!) is sooooo bad.

That is both an indictment of Strandberg as a brand and GC for not even checking. Pretty disappointing.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
used kiesels are best bang for your buck ime. I've grabbed multiple used headless for under 2k usd , and every single one was wayyyy better than my OS8s or usa strandy, or ormsby goliath.

surge

Reaction score
used kiesels are best bang for your buck ime. I've grabbed multiple used headless for under 2k usd , and every single one was wayyyy better than my OS8s or usa strandy, or ormsby goliath.

I asked Kiesel if they would make me a multi scale 7 with the same scale Strandberg uses (26.25-25.5) and they said no. That's my only issue with them, they use 27" scale for all their multi-scale 7's...My fingers are just too fat and short to be able to play down by the nut with that long of a scale on the low string :\
I don't think anyone else actually makes them like Strandberg does tbh, they all use much longer scales, even on 6s. I think I will just have to keep an eye out for a used J Boden 7 (The Japanese Boden's use an even shorter scale, IIRC). I'm kicking myself because I saw one last summer on Reverb for a reasonable price, and in great condition too. But it got away!

Also FYI I got these from Musician's Friend, not direct from GC, although I believe they are owned by GC now, so I'm not sure there's a distinction, but just being clear.

Last edited:

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bummer man. Sucks that between manufacturing and GC you can't get a decent playing guitar for that kind of money, on multiple attempts. The tech at the GC I used to go to said he was required to hit a quota of setups on store inventory. Not sure if they do that at every GC, I would say they don't lol. Winter Park, FL location FWIW.

They do have a lifestyle brand vibe and with a diehard core of enthusiasts that border on the fanboyish. It's tool for me but how could you give repeat business when it's like this? The IG/YouTube outer space bedroom prog thing is played out and that's what I associate them with.

It helped reduce the pain in my fretting hand/wrist and arm. Got a good price used and got lucky that I all it needed was minor fretwork. Seems like such a crapshoot I can't recommend them to anyone unless it was related to injury to see if it helped. I suspect it helps some and not others depending on several factors. I'm no doctor. Hopefully other, better builders take their recipe one day and improve upon it. Other manufacturers should take a cue from the Boden shape, imo.

Last edited:

surge

Reaction score
I would be one of those fanboys if they could get their fretwork and QC in line with the price they charge, or had an option to buy one made by a US company that could ensure quality standards, even if it cost a little bit more.
I love everything about it, and the Endureneck is fire...Most comfortable neck I have ever played. Blows everything else out of the water, for me personally.
Someone else mentioned the color and finish options being crap, that I can agree with.
Guitar Center / MF have a monopoly on the purple color too, for some reason.

I would wager that IF I ordered one from Sweetwater, I could have them check it or even PLEK it (does PLEK do multi scale?) and give it a good setup before they ship it out. But they can't get the color I want, and even for the colors they have access to, they don't even have any in stock at all, lol.

Last edited:

Avedas

Reaction score
Didn't Strandberg used to have good customer service? Or did that also close with the Sweden shop?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't Strandberg used to have good customer service? Or did that also close with the Sweden shop?

It depends on what you buy and where you buy it. Generally, the cheaper stuff still has decent customer service, but they're not going to make the guitars any better, so eventually they blow you off.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It depends on what you buy and where you buy it. Generally, the cheaper stuff still has decent customer service, but they're not going to make the guitars any better, so eventually they blow you off.

When I first ordered a guitar new from them (it was okay but have since sold it off) someone from customer service asked how I liked it. I listed the couple of issues with it and they never replied lol. It came with a damaged pickguard and they were unable to get me one for a while apparently due to COVID and supply chain disruption and all of that but were pleasant enough to deal with when arranging to have one finally sent out.

surge

Reaction score
By good customer service, yes, they accept no questions asked returns within the time frame, I believe it's two weeks, no restocking fees and such, they still offer that -- but it's not like they're going to pay for a fret dress on a brand new $2300 guitar (that should come with level frets already...).

Latest posts

')