Should I sell my guitar?

• Thread starter pfizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyninja

Reaction score
If I don't play it on a regular basis, I sell it. I'm actually down to two guitars now. I feel that there's no reason to hord guitars unless you specifically want to collect them. Think about it. If you have the money, just about any off the shelf guitar you are able to afford can be on your doorstep within a week.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Never sell a guitar, sell your kids, your wife or partner, but never sell your guitar, even if it is one you haven't played for years and have no intention of ever playing again.

I own shares in a music shop - no I'm not going to mention which one they don't pay me to advertise, one of the best tips I picked up from owning a stake in a music shop was to never trade in music equipment. Music shops, or more specifically guitar shops make the bulk of their money on mainly three products, guitar strings, guitar picks and second hand guitars. The mark up, as in the difference between what they gave the original owner for the guitar compared to what they are going to sell it to you for, even after giving you enough discount for you to have a bounce in your step is huge, there is a far far greater markup on second hand guitars than there is on brand new guitars. A shop will give you nowhere near the seond hand value of the guitar, even if it is in 10/10 mint condition, you might as well hold on to the guitar and hang if off your wall as a decoration rather the trade it in towards a new guitar, because what they will give you for it will not make a big dent in the price of the new instrument that you want to buy, in fact it will barely make a dent in the price of the new instrument you want, and 9 times out of 10 you won't get the price the you initially agreed on, when they finally get their hands on the guitar you want to trade in or sell, they will start pointing out things that you might not be able to see or that you are going to only be able to see via magnification, then they will throw the whole cost of a set up which they wil claim the guitar badly needs done in order for it to be sellable, and how that setup is not going to be a sandard set up but an 'in depth' super set up that's as good if not better than a full on plek setup, and a host of other reasons including how it is a difficult colour to sell, even if it is black.

Now selling it privately or on consignment is a whole different matter. But I would avoid selling a guitar to a guitar shop just as much if not more than I try to avoid gonorrhea and herpes.

pfizer

Reaction score
Never sell a guitar, your kids or wife/girlfriend sure, but never sell a guitar.

My guitars ARE my wives :hbang::shred::squint:

If I don't play it on a regular basis, I sell it. I'm actually down to two guitars now. I feel that there's no reason to hord guitars unless you specifically want to collect them. Think about it. If you have the money, just about any off the shelf guitar you are able to afford can be on your doorstep within a week.

Neither do I; I work almost full time in the hospital since I'm training for Family and Sports Medicine. The reason I've even gotten more than one guitar is because changing strings for multiple tunings is getting kinda old; I wanna have a guitar that can handle standard tunings and maybe another one for D to C standard, and another one for weird ass Periphery and Slipknot tunings.

Never sell a guitar, sell your kids, your wife or partner, but never sell your guitar, even if it is one you haven't played for years and have no intention of ever playing again.

I own shares in a music shop - no I'm not going to mention which one they don't pay me to advertise, one of the best tips I picked up from owning a stake in a music shop was to never trade in music equipment. Music shops, or more specifically guitar shops make the bulk of their money on mainly three products, guitar strings, guitar picks and second hand guitars. The mark up, as in the difference between what they gave the original owner for the guitar compared to what they are going to sell it to you for, even after giving you enough discount for you to have a bounce in your step is huge, there is a far far greater markup on second hand guitars than there is on brand new guitars. A shop will give you nowhere near the seond hand value of the guitar, even if it is in 10/10 mint condition, you might as well hold on to the guitar and hang if off your wall as a decoration rather the trade it in towards a new guitar, because what they will give you for it will not make a big dent in the price of the new instrument that you want to buy, in fact it will barely make a dent in the price of the new instrument you want, and 9 times out of 10 you won't get the price the you initially agreed on, when they finally get their hands on the guitar you want to trade in or sell, they will start pointing out things that you might not be able to see or that you are going to only be able to see via magnification, then they will throw the whole cost of a set up which they wil claim the guitar badly needs done in order for it to be sellable, and how that setup is not going to be a sandard set up but an 'in depth' super set up that's as good if not better than a full on plek setup, and a host of other reasons including how it is a difficult colour to sell, even if it is black.

Now selling it privately or on consignment is a whole different matter. But I would avoid selling a guitar to a guitar shop just as much if not more than I try to avoid gonorrhea and herpes.

I hear that. I actually asked one of them what they would give me for my JP. I almost ran out the second I heard his price. The guy obviously watched too much Pawn Stars.

You just praised your JP....why would you sell it and jump to something that is completely opposite?

Because I'm looking to try something different as my main guitar; the JP is great but one of the reasons I don't play it that much is because I'm paranoid about it getting damaged. Although, admittedly, getting an expensive PRS is pretty much the same thing :rolleyes:

')