Should I sell my guitar?

• Thread starter pfizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pfizer

Reaction score
Hey guys, just need some input here before I make a decision.

I currently have two electric guitars; an EBMM JP6 in Teal Pearl and an Ibanez Prestige RGA321.

The JP model is one of the earlier models which doesn't have the DiMarzio Liquifire + Air Norton combo the later versions have. That said, it still sounds pretty damn good and is awesome to play; the exaggerated arm cut feels great and the neck is super fast. I got it used for $1670 with the case which was amazing to me at the time, since I've seen stores in my country sell it for nearly twice as much.

My dilemma now is I'm thinking of selling my JP6; I'm thinking of getting my holy grail, a PRS Custom 24 and my tiny bedroom is running out of space for more guitars, since I also have two acoustics. Should I sell my JP6? Honestly, next to the PRS, it was also a 'holy grail' of sorts, so I'm afraid of letting it go. I usually save up like mad for guitars but I'm thinking I should be more careful with my cash before I (hopefully) graduate my medicine residency. Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
As a guy who sold his JPX (which is a amazing guitar btw) for a CU24 and then recently bought another CU24 I say go for it. PRS is really becoming my go to, you can't go wrong and QC is top notch.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
If you truly love that guitar (and it seems you do) then don't let it go. I say keep the JP6 and just save up for the PRS. Yes, guitarists are always in a rush to get what they want as soon as possible but sometimes guitars are worth saving/waiting for. A PRS Custom 24 will be around for a long time, so there isn't a huge rush in your case (from what I understand). Sometimes waiting longer for that holy grail makes achieving it all the more glorious. Furthermore, why not just wait until you are done your education and buy the PRS CU24 as a graduation present soon after you start working?

One thing I've learned is that, unless you are desperate for funds, don't sell guitars that you love; you will likely regret it down the road.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Personally, I'd keep the JP. Once I move into a bigger room/ have more disposable funds, I'd get the PRS.

I just have 2 guitars now. I want and can get more, but space is limited, plus I don't really want to sell any of the 2 that I have now for another guitar that I want. Later when I move into a better place and have settled career-wise a little, I'll start building my collection with much more confidence and not worry about selling.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you have sentimental attachments to your JP6, don't sell it. That said I fully support a custom 24. I agree with the wait until you have the space and get one. The used market is great for buyers right now.

Aymara

Reaction score
From your description I think you will regret selling it sooner or later.

But do you really need two acoustics?

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
From your description I think you will regret selling it sooner or later.

But do you really need two acoustics?

Maybe he has a classical and a steel string? Or one is an acoustic-electric and the other is a beater? :scratch:

Personally, I would keep the JP and save up, as others have said. But I love JP's

Aymara

Reaction score
Maybe he has a classical and a steel string?

Yeah, or one is a 12-string? That's why I asked, if it might be an option to sell one of the acoustics.

I'm in the same dilema ... no more room for a further guitar and I'm sure, I would regret selling one of my small collection.

So far I haven't found the perfect 7-string for me, so I see that with mixed emotions ;)

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
If you're running out of room just get wall hangers.

I've regretted nearly every piece of gear I've sold off, for one reason or another. I've since just kept everything.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I sold my JP a while back and have regretted it!

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
If you're running out of space... Sell some furniture / do a re-planning in the room, but keep the guitars.

pfizer

Reaction score
Well, I think that's pretty unanimous; I'll hang on to my JP. And yes, Aymara actually nailed it, it's more the hard cases that I have a problem storing.

As for my acoustics (one nylon and one steel string, DragonGuitar) , I actually play quite a bit of acoustic fingerstyle so I won't be getting rid of them. There's just something about picking up guitar and immediately being able to play.

Aymara

Reaction score
... it's more the hard cases that I have a problem storing.

I'm thinking of "misusing" a wardrobe to be able to store guitar case vertically on two levels ... something like this, but without rolls:

lke-gmbh-kleiderstaender-kombix-kleiderstaender-anwendungsbeispiel-1-907144-FGR.jpg

If it stands in front of a wall the guitar case can stand vertically in the wardrobe and the headstock side of the cases will lean on the wall.

You know what I mean?

I guess I will build such a "guitar case stand" myself out of wood to get exactly the right size, which fits behind my bedroom door ;)

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I think sentimentality is pointless here. Get the tool thats right for the job. I find that when I have too many nice guitars, I end up grabbing the same 1 or 2 everytime and the others are just really expensive guitars sitting in cases most of the time. Think about what you really need, and if the jp is that, keep it, if the prs is then sell the jp and get the prs.
Personally, I'd sell the ibby and get the prs, but thats just me.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Never sell a guitar, your kids or wife/girlfriend sure, but never sell a guitar.

')