Should I try a tower style 412 cab?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Standard 412 or Tower style 412?

• Total voters

Bearitone

Reaction score
I’m very limited on floor space but I really miss my old 412 cab. I’m thinking of either hunting down a vintage Sunn tower style 412 or having one built custom.

My question is, does having a “long” 412 change how it sounds in a negative way? Or does it not matter as long as the internal volume is the same as a regular 412?

This is what I’m talking about as far as a tower goes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Go to the store, stack two 212s vertically, see what you think.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
So a 1x4-12? It will sound fine, if anything a little tighter than a 4x12 due to less resonant volume. I've seen a ton of oblong bass cabs, I always assumed for this reason.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it was just for home use I'd think it's fine but idk about gigging.... Maybe it would fine?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
You'll very likely need to replace the speakers as those were designed for PAs. If you've already accounted for that, then the answer is yes, but only if you plan to get two and build Tone Henge.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd vote stacking some 1x12 or 2x12s. A PA speaker is not a guitar cab. I used to use one like that, and it sounded awful. Probably, as mentioned, because of the speakers, but by the time you buy the tower cabs and swap out all the speakers, you could just get proper guitar cabs.

Maaaaaaaaybe if you really want to try it, use an IR?

Latest posts

')