Should we have a big list of bands that use 7s?

• Thread starter Karl Hungus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
When did Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, and Slayer use 7 strings?

Dimmu Borgir: On their last 2 albums (Puritanical, DCA). I'd say 50%-60% of those albums feature 7-strings. Galder and Silenoz don't use them live though, but you can hear it as clear as day on the records, and they talked about using them in interviews. Some obvious examples are "Kings of the Carnival Creation", "Hybrid Stigmata", "Architecture of a Genocidal Nature", "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse", "Vredesbyrd", "Eradication Instinsts Defined", etc.

Old Man's Child: Galder is the guitarist from Dimmu if you didn't know, on his last two albums (In Defiance of Existence, Vermin) he uses them on most songs. Galder has an ESP custom shop F-series 7.

Slayer: On "God Hates Us All" several songs are using a 7-string tuned to Bb, such as "Here Comes The Pain" and "Scarstruck". Several others are in B (War Zone, Payback, Castdown, Seven Faces) but I don't know for sure if they used the 7s or 6s on those. Kerry King had several BC Rich custom 7s made for him, all Warlocks I believe. Jeff just tuned down his 6s on those songs.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Can one of the moderator types edit the thread title and sticky it? Thanks!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Slayer: On "God Hates Us All" several songs are using a 7-string tuned to Bb, such as "Here Comes The Pain" and "Scarstruck". Several others are in B (War Zone, Payback, Castdown, Seven Faces) but I don't know for sure if they used the 7s or 6s on those. Kerry King had several BC Rich custom 7s made for him, all Warlocks I believe. Jeff just tuned down his 6s on those songs.

More than likely, Kerry King recorded all those parts in the studio. A few albums back, they got into the habit of having one guy record all rhythm parts on a song, just to make everything sound tighter.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Dimmu Borgir: On their last 2 albums (Puritanical, DCA). I'd say 50%-60% of those albums feature 7-strings. Galder and Silenoz don't use them live though, but you can hear it as clear as day on the records, and they talked about using them in interviews. Some obvious examples are "Kings of the Carnival Creation", "Hybrid Stigmata", "Architecture of a Genocidal Nature", "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse", "Vredesbyrd", "Eradication Instinsts Defined", etc.

Old Man's Child: Galder is the guitarist from Dimmu if you didn't know, on his last two albums (In Defiance of Existence, Vermin) he uses them on most songs. Galder has an ESP custom shop F-series 7.

I remember reading in a magazine around the GHUA period that all the songs in B flat were the seven string, and all the songs in B were six strings tuned to Drop B.

Add Arcturus and To-mera to this list.

Oh, and Biomechanical.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Funny, I have a Guitar World column where Kerry talks about how seven-string guitars are valid and how he used one on certain parts of God Hates Us All. I've also read one where he said he probably won't use it again because other bands have stopped using them and the trend has died:nuts:

Add Alarum to the list.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kerry King is a flame, that's why. I've seen him play a 7-string Warlock live with my own two eyes. He's just a trendy wanker, who got tired of all the backlash "tr00" slayer fans gave him when he started using 7s. Most Slayer fans are clueless about musicianship, so they slammed Kerry for being nu-metal and sellouts and all that because he used 7-strings. So, he then bought into that and vowed to never use them again.

Good riddance.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
zimbloth said:

Nope... Most of those aren't 7's. DCA was all in E - anything you hear that could sound like a 7 was them playing a root-fourth-octave powerchord isntead of the standard root-5th-octave.

I might believe hybrid stigmata, but I know for a fact that Progenies, Vredesbyrd, Architecture and Kings were on a 6.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You're wrong DSS3. Flat out wrong. That's what they do live. Galder himself touched upon this, he said they used 7s to record certain parts on the record in the studio. But even without him, anyone with a decent ear can hear it. They used 7-strings. Theres plenty of times where theres single note low B pms etc, which are obvious and are not the root-forth powerchords you speak of. They do use those chords often, but no, DCA is not all in E. Itis not hard to differentiate the difference between the root-4th-octave chords and an actual open low B string, its as clear as day.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
You're wrong DSS3. Flat out wrong. That's what they do live. Galder himself touched upon this, he said they used 7s to record certain parts on the record in the studio. But even without him, anyone with a decent ear can hear it. They used 7-strings. Theres plenty of times where theres single note low B pms etc, which are obvious and are not the root-forth powerchords you speak of. They do use those chords often, but no, DCA is not all in E. Itis not hard to differentiate the difference between the root-4th-octave chords and an actual open low B string, its as clear as day.

From what I read posted by him on the DB forum, they used it to record very few songs, and they mostly appeared on Puritanical.

Either way - they really only use the 7th string on maybe a chorus in each song like that, most of the riffage is on the E/A/D strings.

Shikaru

Mechanical Thunder
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say add Dreamscape too. I was just browsing their website after seeing a video of theirs, and there's quite a few pictures of the guitarist playing a UV777bk.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
No, we shouldn't. Because we already had 5 threads about what bands use sevens. :fawk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')