Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XxSilverburstDiezelxX

Audio Engineer
Reaction score
It means pointing outwards away from listening position. An odd idea to me

Seemed very strange to me at first. But honestly I'm becoming a more "go with what sounds good" Type of guy. Anyways if you have not tried it, I feel like it accurately projects the bass. Maybe the stereo imaging in the toe in position has me trippin..

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'll look into it later - I can imagine it sounding immediately very different and pleasing, but I'm also imagining it would have some very bad technical side effects for mixing (not listening) that some acoustic engineer could probably tell you about.
I haven't a clue but that's just my gut feeling.
I have a feeling it could be reducing the effects that I countered in this thread, and that's why it sounds good: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/198647-try-taking-your-computer-screen-down.html
Try that - you might find the same bass projection (that's what I felt in the center channel), but without the negative impacts that toe out might (might, once again I have no idea!) cause.

OpenSea

Autotunes his farts.
Reaction score
I think that much like having an off-axis microphone, the sound coming from the source and the sound in the recording will be very different. Except in this case, your speakers will be projecting one sound, and due to the off axis effect of your speakers being pointed outwards (relative to where you sit) combined with the directional nature of near field monitors, you will hear something other than the true recording, meaning also that you will be hearing a different mix than what your listeners hear when they have their speakers or headphones pointed directly at their ears.

You just have to remember that when you change what you hear by moving the speakers around, the sound on the recording doesn't change with it. You want to make sure that whatever you do to make your recording sound good translates to the audience later on.

Johnmar

Banned
Reaction score
Got my Axe FX Ultra today so I decided to take some pics of my simplistic yet effective home studio.

2wmexcy.jpg

21919jk.jpg

65ripd.jpg

15" i7 MacBook Pro
Mackie MR5 Monitors
M-Audio Mobile Pre interface (upgrading to Apogee One soon)
Axe FX Ultra
Logic 9, Superior Drummer, Metal Foundry, etc.

Since you have a studio like this,what's the point of paying another one for recordings?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Seemed very strange to me at first. But honestly I'm becoming a more "go with what sounds good" Type of guy. Anyways if you have not tried it, I feel like it accurately projects the bass. Maybe the stereo imaging in the toe in position has me trippin..

Yea that's what I thought it might be... and I don't think I've ever seen a professional mixing environment set up like that for a reason.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's a fucking stupid idea. Everything I know about acoustics and particularly control room design as either the wet/dry style or semi-anechoic mastering style room does not in any way fit with this toe out crap. Granted, my acoustics knowledge is limited, but not THAT limited. Your room is not symmetrical at all from the photos, so pointing them out is not going to be sending reflections back to you at the same time. You're going to have a distorted stereo image, created mostly by comb filtering effects. That clarity in the bass you're getting is probably because you're no longer on axis to the reflections directly off the back wall which would be distorting your low end significantly... because your monitors are WAY too close to the wall with no deadening behind them.

Since you have a studio like this,what's the point of paying another one for recordings?

I hope you're trolling, but in case not.

1) Quality of equipment. High quality console/preamps and converters as well as other outboard equipment. Also microphones as well

2) Properly treated acoustic spaces.

3) Knowledge of best ways to mic up different instruments

4) In his case, I/O... he has what, 2 ins and outs. Most professional studios are going to have a minimum of 24 or so.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I hope you're trolling, but in case not.

1) Quality of equipment. High quality console/preamps and converters as well as other outboard equipment. Also microphones as well

2) Properly treated acoustic spaces.

3) Knowledge of best ways to mic up different instruments

4) In his case, I/O... he has what, 2 ins and outs. Most professional studios are going to have a minimum of 24 or so.

I doubt he was trolling, and in the modern age of home recording, I don't think it's disappointing that he most likely wasn't.

Especially in the context of this forum, there's plenty of musicians getting great results out of their home/bedroom "studios." I'm not saying that one in particular is one that would get such results (who knows?), but it's not hard to see why more and more people are honestly questioning the need for a professional studio (not that that's right or wrong, just that it's the way it is).

painless6505

Reaction score
Long time lurker, finally had time to take photos of my small home studio. Desk built by myself, and not fully completed:

2012 Retina Macbook Pro
Logic Studio
POD HD 500
M-Audio BX5A's w/Sub
AKG 240MKII
Senheiser HD280 Pro's
Agile Interceptor Pro
Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR
Takamine Acoustic
M-Auido Fast Track Pro

Attachments

• <untitled>.jpg
    <untitled>.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Guitars & Keyboard.jpg
    Guitars & Keyboard.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 108

TDR

Reaction score
How do you find the BX5's ?

I've been looking around for some mid-price-range monitors and come across the BX5 D2's the other day... any good?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I love my BX5as. Pleeeenty of low end, really clear 'rubbery' sound. That's how I describe it anyway. That lovely soft clear sound that I always imagine when I see a soft speaker cone like on the BX5s. I prefer them to KRK Rockits

TDR

Reaction score
Cool cheers man :)

I checked out some Rockits at a local music store and wasn't too much of a fan, but unfortunately I'm limited to choice over here compared to back home in NZ so have had to turn to online etc but blind buying always worries me!

Thanks again

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I will say they aren't hugely different to the Rokits, if you didn't like them much!

painless6505

Reaction score
How do you find the BX5's ?

I've been looking around for some mid-price-range monitors and come across the BX5 D2's the other day... any good?

Love them, but the sub is overkill. Don't really use it to record or mix, just to kick back and listen to jams sometimes.

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
I hope to post my own home studio on here some day.

Someday.. Lol

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I have a friend with BX8As and have worked with Rokits and fully agree. I love BXs. They may have a but of "character" to them, rather than being fully transparent but they sound good for it. Crisp, clear high end, punchy mids and thick low end.

TDR

Reaction score
Well just ordered some, $350AU with free shipping... some liquidation fire sale... so might have some decent pics to post of my bedroom warrior set up soon enough!

Thanks for the input guys

jimROOT

MEMongrel
Reaction score
my little home studio :D

Attachments

• studio1-2.jpg
    studio1-2.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 174
  • studio2-2.jpg
    studio2-2.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 143